A group for 'grumblers'?

Options
124»

Replies

• agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I agree, I feel like this website has taken over my life...i'm constantly checking and rechecking and adding in my logbook...plugging in my workout stats. I think that the work out calorie stuff is way off...no way do you burn 600 freakin' calories going for a leasure stroll! i certainly don't burn any more than 300 calories doing 45 minutes of cardio...and i have my heart rate up to 153 the whole time...i don't know, something smells fishy lol but i mean it's better than what i can do on my own. and i admit i looked into the HRM, they're freakin' expensive! i'm not that hardcore. But i would like to know how many calories i'm losing while i lift weights...not the ENTIRE day, just when i'm not doing cardio...but like i said, who the hell can afford one of those? and i agree about the scales...how awkward would that be at a resturant with the girls "excuse my while i weight my crap i'm about to stuff in my face"...but i'm with you, i'm angry that i have to obssess about being obese, i'm a little embarassed that i have to be this obsessed yet i have no idea what i'm doing. I don't have decent conversations anymore except what i learned at the gym and how bad my *kitten* hurts from the bike! maybe it'll get easier. Hang in there, we'll do this together without becoming psycho.:huh:

Nice to know I'm not the only one that see it like this! Exactly, I'm absolutely not bringing a scale with me, that's ridiculous! And I totally agree with how you said it's affecting your conversations with people. It embarrasses me, but since it takes so much of my thoughts, it slips out a lot where I'm talking about this "journey". The other day my boyfriend said, "You're obsessed with weight.". I could tell it just slipped out, but I know he's getting tired of hearing about it. which I don't blame him, I'm tried of thinking about it! It hurt nonetheless. and about the website, i mean if it's going to be THAT inaccurate with estimating calories burned, then what's the point of using it at ALL, you know? I mean, they might as well take that feature away completely if its that wrong!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I MUST join this group! If I could italicize and bold MUST I would.

I'm feeling a bit snippy and b!tchy today. Ha. Thank Gawd the weekend is here.

A few responses to other posters on there:
    A. I too have started this "journey" about ten times now. I hate the word journey. The words journey and diet together make me roll my eyes. I don't know why.
    B; From January through April I worked out three to five times a week, ate perfectly and went from 221 to 207. I went from a tight size 20 to a loose 18. WTF is that all about? I'm happy for others to lose like like that but how long does it take? Seriously? And here I go again. I went to a new gym today and signed up.
    C. What is it about gyms that is so intimidating at first? And sometimes ongoing? I hate walking into them but for me it seems like I can track all the cals and eat perfectly all I want, but if I don't work out the numbers on the scale don't budge nor do my clothes get looser.
    D: HRM's, a good one, totally worth the $100 for it. As others have said, the numbers on MFP for exercise are WAY off. Example: My HRM says I worked out for 45 minutes and burned 450 cals (if I am really really really working my *kitten* off) and MFP will say something like 689. Get a Polar one and just wear it for your work out. Even weights or strength. You can see if you are in the right HR range if you aren't it is totally encouraging to move faster so you are. I love mine.
    E: I hate running. It blows.
    F: Oreo cakesters are the devil. So is icecream and everything else. But mainly oreo cakesters.

Part of the gym membership I got was two weekly sessions with a PT. At this point I need a "professional" to give me a routine. I got bored with the gym and that is why I quit last April. And I'd like someone to weigh me and measure me and just tell me if I am making improvements or not. My scale at home isn't reading Kg's or Lb's right at the moment and I see it as a sign to not weigh myself.

So, until Monday, I am going to eat what I like and drink some wine and beer and Monday the grumbling will commence. Yee. Haw.

Lacey
  • Fawnie
    Fawnie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! you guys rule ;)

I would like to vent something:
    I cant stand it when 'normal' sized people look at me when I'm eating. I'm not the kind of person who gets embarassed
    to eat in front of people. It's like skinny people are thinking, "since your fat why dont you just stop eating"
    are you kidding me?? thats not how it works at all!!
    my friends are all really [really] small [because there asian--not that im stereo typing.....] and when we go out to eat I feel like since they dont touch their plate I shouldnt either.
    ugh~ i dont know, eating with friends is just different then eating around total strangers.

and another thing, I constantly tell my parents that Im not eating unhealthy food like chips/soda
    but they are always asking me, "im going to the donut store want something?" "want some candy!! huh huh want some WANT SOME!!"
    noooooooo I dont want any thank you very much!

Its come down to just plain and simple "you want something done you gotta do it yourself" and resist temptation
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I want to join!

OP, you and I are very much alike. I'll work REALLY HARD, lose 5-10 lbs, then stop and become a couch potato again. It's really tough because my significant other isn't really into eating healthy and exercising right now (mainly due to a broken ankle/foot and medical issues) but when he wants pizza, we get pizza, etc.. He also has been making me feel guilty for wanting to go out and exercise since he can't do it with me. UGH! It makes it so easy to keep making excuse.

I've also become obsessed with this website. It's ridiculous! I feel hella guilty if I don't log every single piece of food I stuff in my face and then I feel even worse when I log my binge-fest foods and see how many calories I've gone over for the day.

Thanks for making the group! I'm sure I will frequent it a little too often.
  • agdeierl
    Options
    I am so frustrated. This week I've been definitely going over a few days, some more than others, because it was my birthday week and I was celebrating. I tried to get some workouts in but then yesterday I was really depressed. The weather was gorgeous outside, so I decided I would go take a walk/jog. I put my shoes on (new balance) and notice that the right one, the plastic-y feeling thing inside that gives it structure has broken off and is now like a painful glass shard against my heel. I've heard that NB shoes often do this. These shoes were quite expensive, some of the best NB make, because I have really high arches and needed good arch support. I bought these maybe 6 months ago, and I can't really afford to get new ones. but i DON'T WANT A BLISTER. It just made me furious and it made me cry which I know is stupid but it's just that I just KNOW i'm going to gain now this week, especially since i haven't done extra workouts. then yesterday, when i genuinely wanted to work out, it was beyond my control and that's just so hard to stomach. i don't know what to do now since i need those shoes to exercise. it's one thing when it's my own fault i cant' exercise but when i feel powerless, i freak out. trying to lose weight SUCKS.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm p!ssed! Wanna know what bugs me? when some skinny little broad comes on here and tells the world that those that DON'T eat their calories are lying! Because she has no problem eating 2000 calories, why do the fatties of the world have the problem? Really? You're kidding right? you come on a weight loss website, where clearly the majority of the people are not fitness trainers, and you spout your skinny little mouth off about how we're lying? That we wouldn't be fat in the first place if we didn't eat our calories and then some? Wow the nerve...i read some of the replies and I'd have to say they were a lot nicer than I would have been, should I have chosen to reply...instead i just sit here offended that I'm STILL the fat girl that doesn't want to eat infront of anyone because they'll judge me. Why do I let it bother me? I'm not sure...but it bugs me
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated. This week I've been definitely going over a few days, some more than others, because it was my birthday week and I was celebrating. I tried to get some workouts in but then yesterday I was really depressed. The weather was gorgeous outside, so I decided I would go take a walk/jog. I put my shoes on (new balance) and notice that the right one, the plastic-y feeling thing inside that gives it structure has broken off and is now like a painful glass shard against my heel. I've heard that NB shoes often do this. These shoes were quite expensive, some of the best NB make, because I have really high arches and needed good arch support. I bought these maybe 6 months ago, and I can't really afford to get new ones. but i DON'T WANT A BLISTER.
    Seriously, bring them back. Shoes should be protected from deformities. I've never heard of shoes doing this, but I would think if you grumble enough to the manager they'll give you a new pair (or at least significantly discount a similar pair!)
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    OooooOOoOoo, do I have some grumbles!!!!! :grumble:

For the past four months, I've bounced back and forth between 218 and 225. The past two weeks I've given up, ate junk and sprang up to 230! I started at 280. I've taken all the advice I can find: eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, change your exercises, change your fat/protein/fiber/etc., take an exercise break, take this supplement, take that supplement, workout harder, etc.

I've even had a friend tell me I needed to just stop eating. She lost tons of weight and barely eats anything at all.

This week I am focusing on my food and taking the advice of another friend who is studying to be a dietitian. She said to watch my carbohydrates and get 30 per meal and 15 per snack, no more than that. So ... I'm doing it and will see what the end of this week brings on the scale.

*sigh* I'm just tired of people thinking I'm the one who was doing something wrong. The past few weeks I *have* been wrong and I"m paying for it ... but I really did try everything and I was exhausted.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

For the past four months, I've bounced back and forth between 218 and 225. The past two weeks I've given up, ate junk and sprang up to 230! I started at 280. I've taken all the advice I can find: eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, change your exercises, change your fat/protein/fiber/etc., take an exercise break, take this supplement, take that supplement, workout harder, etc.

I've even had a friend tell me I needed to just stop eating. She lost tons of weight and barely eats anything at all.

This week I am focusing on my food and taking the advice of another friend who is studying to be a dietitian. She said to watch my carbohydrates and get 30 per meal and 15 per snack, no more than that. So ... I'm doing it and will see what the end of this week brings on the scale.

*sigh* I'm just tired of people thinking I'm the one who was doing something wrong. The past few weeks I *have* been wrong and I"m paying for it ... but I really did try everything and I was exhausted.

i know, ...but you have all your facts straight..everyone keeps giving you the same advice...and if i have to hear one more time the muscle weighs more than fat i'm going to scream! This whole lifestyle change consumes your ENTIRE life, and it's hard on you emotionally and physically. Don't stop eating, that's called anorexic, not healthy and beautiful....i hope the carb counting works for you, i'd hate to see you give up...my suggestion is taking a class...a yoga class for beginners, or tai chi, or aquafit...try something new that would spark an interest...change things up a bit! look on the internet for some awesome recipes (the pumpkin one with the cinnamon sounds fantastic) and feel free to b!tch as much as you want...losing weight sucks! if it didn't suck, North America wouldn't be obese:ohwell:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

i know, ...but you have all your facts straight..everyone keeps giving you the same advice...and if i have to hear one more time the muscle weighs more than fat i'm going to scream! This whole lifestyle change consumes your ENTIRE life, and it's hard on you emotionally and physically. Don't stop eating, that's called anorexic, not healthy and beautiful....i hope the carb counting works for you, i'd hate to see you give up...my suggestion is taking a class...a yoga class for beginners, or tai chi, or aquafit...try something new that would spark an interest...change things up a bit! look on the internet for some awesome recipes (the pumpkin one with the cinnamon sounds fantastic) and feel free to b!tch as much as you want...losing weight sucks! if it didn't suck, North America wouldn't be obese:ohwell:

I do take classes. :wink: And I also workout on my own. I have switched up my workout. Still hasn't caused the scale to drop! Definitely not starving myself, though, lol. Love my food WAY too much for that!

I try to make a different dinner recipe each week and keep it simple with no cooking for lunch or breakfast.

I'm working on it! Trying!!!! :drinker:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Leigh - keep at it. Remind yourself how much you've managed to lose already! You must have done something right! Everyone slips up, falls off, hits their head, etc. etc. once in a while. Hell I've done it for the past four months.

Let's see...I started tracking food again today for this first time in ever. Grumbles. All though its not too bad. I start working out again tonight and the new gym for the first time. Grumbles. Trying not to be too intimidating and hoping that the personal trainer I get isn't a douchetard who tells me I need to eat 1200 calories and just suck it up until I lose my fat butt. Grumbles.

A little hungry. Expected. Still sucks.
  • agdeierl
    Options
    Leigh - keep at it. Remind yourself how much you've managed to lose already! You must have done something right! Everyone slips up, falls off, hits their head, etc. etc. once in a while. Hell I've done it for the past four months.

Let's see...I started tracking food again today for this first time in ever. Grumbles. All though its not too bad. I start working out again tonight and the new gym for the first time. Grumbles. Trying not to be too intimidating and hoping that the personal trainer I get isn't a douchetard who tells me I need to eat 1200 calories and just suck it up until I lose my fat butt. Grumbles.

A little hungry. Expected. Still sucks.

I hate when trainers are like that! I feel like saying, "Look! I know food is fuel, but some of us don't like to eat ONLY for fuel ALL THE TIME!" I personally believe yes, food is fuel, but sometimes it's also art, celebration, fun, etc. There's no reason why it can't be all of those things! As long as it's not FUN all the time, I don't see the problem. I'm tried of people telling me that food should never be looked at as anything other than fuel.