I'm so freaked out...

Options
I'm just starting to maintain my weight. I'm 19 years old, female, 165cm/50-51kg. I finally admited myself that I'm eating too little (1200 calories, plus 4 times a week workouts) Yesterday I saw a doctor (because my period stopped since two months) He said everything was fine, but that I need to stop losing weight (and that I even need to gain some), then the things will go back to normal. I don't want to gain anymore weight, I calculated my TDEE and it said for maintaince I need to eat 1700 calories, but that seems like a lot (to me right now). How do I do that, without gaining weight - but just maintaining my current? I need help, some advices. Please, don't judge me. I don't really need this, I'm so embarrased by posting this topic because I realize I have a problem, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get better :(

Replies

• Mindfreak1999
    Options
    Hey, I started out on less than 1,000 calories a day and was training hard. It took longer to lose weight because I was starving my body, the body was storing the food as fat. Think of your body as a car , for the car to go you need to put fuel in it. So I increased my calories still trained and lost over 90 lbs. I have increased my calories now to maintain weight. It is important to exercise though.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started out on less than 1,000 calories a day and was training hard. It took longer to lose weight because I was starving my body, the body was storing the food as fat. Think of your body as a car , for the car to go you need to put fuel in it. So I increased my calories still trained and lost over 90 lbs. I have increased my calories now to maintain weight. It is important to exercise though.

Absolutely! I don't plan on stopping my workouts or something. How did you adjust, was it hard at first? It's kinda hard for me to wrap my mind around this idea, because I'm eating 1200 calories for more than a half year... and dieting before that... it's like a habit or something. But I'm already at my goal weight (and even a little under) and I just neeed to stop starving and take better care for my body :(
  • MissBabyJane
    Options
    Btw, good for you! 90lbs is a lot of hard work! I hope you're proud of yourself.

I used to weight 68kg before starting my workouts and diets.
  • Serena272
    Serena272 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Add 100 calories today, and for the next week eat 1300 daily. Continue your workouts (as long as they aren't 4 hour workouts). Next week on the 27th eat 1400 a day. You'll be use to the 1300 by then. It's baby steps. You'll be fine, I know it's scary, just slowly add calories, 100 calories at a time. You'll know to stop adding calories when you gain a pound or two. Who knows, you may be able to maintain your weight, have your periods, not worry and eat more calories. Plus, it sounds like the Dr. wants you to gain a few pounds, so if you do gain a couple he'll be happy. :flowerforyou:
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Add 100 calories today, and for the next week eat 1300 daily. Continue your workouts (as long as they aren't 4 hour workouts). Next week on the 27th eat 1400 a day. You'll be use to the 1300 by then. It's baby steps. You'll be fine, I know it's scary, just slowly add calories, 100 calories at a time. You'll know to stop adding calories when you gain a pound or two. Who knows, you may be able to maintain your weight, have your periods, not worry and eat more calories. Plus, it sounds like the Dr. wants you to gain a few pounds, so if you do gain a couple he'll be happy. :flowerforyou:

this!!!
  • MissBabyJane
    Options

Thank you so much! You're so nice! I will that!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You probably have some types of foods you avoid ("bad food") and will have to work as hard as you do with your body on rethinking your relationship with food. There are no bad foods.

Good luck.
  • MissBabyJane
    Options
    You probably have some types of foods you avoid ("bad food") and will have to work as hard as you do with your body on rethinking your relationship with food. There are no bad foods.

Good luck.

Yep, I do that... I'm trying to change it.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Id agree with what she said if you didn't train like a maniac (no offence)

4 hours training has to stop . 45min-60min is enough!!! im referring to lifting weights for body composition and proper metabolic functioning
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Well I recently stopped maintaining because I decided to lose a few more lbs, but before that I was maintaining for about 4 months, prior to that I had been eating 1200 like you and I'm 5''5, I was too scared to raise it to 1650 because I thought I was certain I would gain weight. However I decided I would try, so I added in 100 calories each week and as I did that, I realised that the extra calories really weren't that much, and I DID NOT gain any weight. It just meant a tastier sandwich for lunch or a dessert after dinner or a glass of milk with breakfast, small things like that which add up without making you feel like you're eating loads.
    it really just seems like a lot of extra calories in our mind because we know how much food we can fit into a small budget but really it isn't a lot extra when you eat slightly richer food :) hope that helps (also your appetite should adjust, mine certainly did, always ravenous now ;) )
  • MissBabyJane
    Options

Id agree with what she said if you didn't train like a maniac (no offence)

4 hours training has to stop . 45min-60min is enough!!! im referring to lifting weights for body composition and proper metabolic functioning

Wow, I made a mistake in my first post. I didn't mean 4 hour workout - but a 4 workouts a week with duration 30 mins! My bad :(
  • MissBabyJane
    Options
    Well I recently stopped maintaining because I decided to lose a few more lbs, but before that I was maintaining for about 4 months, prior to that I had been eating 1200 like you and I'm 5''5, I was too scared to raise it to 1650 because I thought I was certain I would gain weight. However I decided I would try, so I added in 100 calories each week and as I did that, I realised that the extra calories really weren't that much, and I DID NOT gain any weight. It just meant a tastier sandwich for lunch or a dessert after dinner or a glass of milk with breakfast, small things like that which add up without making you feel like you're eating loads.
    it really just seems like a lot of extra calories in our mind because we know how much food we can fit into a small budget but really it isn't a lot extra when you eat slightly richer food :) hope that helps (also your appetite should adjust, mine certainly did, always ravenous now ;) )

Thank you so much! This sound great, I'm not that worried now! I will try that as starting from now! I just adjusted MFP calories to 1310.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    All of the TDEE and BMR calculators are best estimates for where your calories should be and should NOT be taken as gospel from on high.

I found my TDEE lies about 100 calories lower than any of the calculators show and I've adjusted accordingly; it's allowed me to keep my weight at the goal +/- one pound consistently.

And a previous poster is right on: add 100 calories, wait a week or two and see how your body reacts. I'd also add to not worry about fluctuations of two pounds in either direction, as water retention and food still transiting your digestive system can vary ( at least my ) weight by three pounds a day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you are 5 ft 5 and weight just over 100lbs...you do need to gain some weight.

You are considered underweight and eating 1200calories and working out 4 x week and you are not having a period

Normally a womens period stops due to not enough bodyfat and is a sign of an eating disorder...

If you realize you have a problem but still don't want to gain weight you need more help and not just from a GP...

In other posts you mentioned an 18000 calorie binge...

In December you were at 55kg (110lbs) and have since then lost about 1lb a week...and you dream of people calling you fat
    I know it's really stupid and kinda pathetic, because they're people who have lost so much more weight and have bigger problems with health and etc. But I just feel like a crap. The more weight I'm losing, the more I think I need to lose more. My family are telling me that I need to maintain and stop losing weight and that I look great, but I can't help thinking I'm still fat or I will get fat again. I hope this make sence, this post is all over the place...

You need to seek some counselling...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! This sound great, I'm not that worried now! I will try that as starting from now! I just adjusted MFP calories to 1310.

Btw: Do not freak out when/if you gain a lb or two overnight from up marking your calories. It's a simple water weight response to availability and storage. It will disappear over a short time.

You might not see that, it sometimes happens.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me, and I like the advice that I have just read on this forum! I agree with everything. I was even put on BC to help bring my period back. I also had to start eating more, but I was severely underweight, so I am now maintaining a weight that is good for me.

I would also incorporate strength training into your workouts. You won't get bulky, but you'll look good, you'll be working out and it will help to strengthen your bones, so you won't get osteoporosis as I did from not having my period and not having enough calcium.

Yes, some days it's super hard to eat more, but remember, food is fuel and it's good for you.

P.S I would stay away from the scale at first. Give it a month, them weigh yourself. I once weighed myself everyday for over a year, it's just not necessary and can be so upsetting.
  • MissBabyJane
    Options
    This has happened to me, and I like the advice that I have just read on this forum! I agree with everything. I was even put on BC to help bring my period back. I also had to start eating more, but I was severely underweight, so I am now maintaining a weight that is good for me.

I would also incorporate strength training into your workouts. You won't get bulky, but you'll look good, you'll be working out and it will help to strengthen your bones, so you won't get osteoporosis as I did from not having my period and not having enough calcium.

Yes, some days it's super hard to eat more, but remember, food is fuel and it's good for you.

P.S I would stay away from the scale at first. Give it a month, them weigh yourself. I once weighed myself everyday for over a year, it's just not necessary and can be so upsetting.

Thank you so much! One question, though - did your period came back?
  • you are 5 ft 5 and weight just over 100lbs...you do need to gain some weight.

You are considered underweight and eating 1200calories and working out 4 x week and you are not having a period

Normally a womens period stops due to not enough bodyfat and is a sign of an eating disorder...

If you realize you have a problem but still don't want to gain weight you need more help and not just from a GP...

In other posts you mentioned an 18000 calorie binge...

In December you were at 55kg (110lbs) and have since then lost about 1lb a week...and you dream of people calling you fat
    I know it's really stupid and kinda pathetic, because they're people who have lost so much more weight and have bigger problems with health and etc. But I just feel like a crap. The more weight I'm losing, the more I think I need to lose more. My family are telling me that I need to maintain and stop losing weight and that I look great, but I can't help thinking I'm still fat or I will get fat again. I hope this make sence, this post is all over the place...

You need to seek some counselling...

I personally don't think the above is very helpful at all.

You have clearly realised you need to do something about your weight, which is why you posted the question! The first step for anyone is realising you need to do somehting about your weight, regardless of whether it's loose, gain or maintain and you are doing the right thing by seeking advice and being proactive about it.

I'm no expert but the previous suggestions of increasing your calories gradually seems sensible. Maybe eating as usual but increasing portion sizes, eating more healthy but high in calorie foods like avocado, nuts, dates etc and drinking milk may help too?

Anyway, best of luck :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! One question, though - did your period came back?

My period came back with the help of eating more and my birth control pills I was put on specifically for brining my period back. I was without my period for about 10 months