Whats the difference between running and jogging

Options

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If jogging is just slow running, then wouldn't there need to be a definitive speed at which it turns into running?

How would you determine that definitive speed because people are so different?

An elite marathoner (2:15 or so) would run his recovery runs at around a 6:30 per mile pace and his easy runs at around a 6:00 pace. That's just light conversational trot to him, but it would go sub-20 in a 5k. Would anyone say a typical sub 20 5k runner is just "jogging". I laugh if you told me I jogged my 5k PR, but if Ryan Hall were running with me that day, he might say that is all he did.

if you have to define it at all, I think it would have to be on effort, not speed.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of jogging as a speed slower than your race pace. If you plan to run 9 minute miles for a race (regardless of distance), a 10 minute mile might be jogging for you - you likely can sustain it for longer distances, and the intensity is lower than you're capable of. If you're new to running and don't have stamina yet, running is running - it's pretty challenging no matter what speed you're going!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Running = a stride wherein both feet leave the ground at once (versus walking, where one foot is always in contact).

A jog is a slower run. A sprint is a faster run. These are subjective. What's faster or slower for you may not be what is faster or slower for me.

That doesn't matter though: it's all running. Jogging, to me, is a word people use either to self-deprecate ("oh, I wasn't running...it was just a jog") or Serious Important Runners (tm) use to disparage more casual runners.

"It was being a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the. . . It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham

Actually, there is a difference between sprinting and jogging/running.

Sprinting is performed under anaerobic conditions: you are working so hard you cannot keep up with the oxygen demands of the muscles, and so build up lactic acid.

Running/jogging is aerobic: you supply the muscles sufficient oxygen to prevent lactic acid accumulation.

The actual speed at which these happen is of course dependent on the individual athlete.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Jogging is just another word for running. Some people are just used to that word, others prefer "running". No difference. You either walk, or you run. Period.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi There
    I have never been one for being outdoors and do most of my exercise fast walking on a treadmill inside. However I have recently had a thought that I would like to go a bit faster and get myself outside now that its light at night.
    But can you tell me please what is the difference between running and jogging. Is it purely the speed? or are their different techniques to use for each. I would like to start running, I though I was but my husband tells me I was just jogging, is that just because I was too slow?

"jogging" was just a term used by people in the 1980's to describe running.

it's a term thats often used by the sort of people who believe a 5k is a 'marathon', and the same people who ask how long a marathon IS, and those who also believe that a 5k/10k/half marathon/full marathon have variable distances depending on the location of where these events are run, and will often ask you how many 10k marathons you have run.

what's more important is that you really..REALLY need to get off the treadmill and run outdoors.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Did the OP ask about sprinting?
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have no technical knowledge about what constitutes jogging vs running, but I agree that running seems like the broader term and that it would include jogging. (All squares are quadrilaterals, but not all quadrilaterals are squares)
    Poo pooing your running by saying, no actually you're jogging is just kind of a jerk thing to say.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    This are my definitions, so there's no scientific or grammatical proof:

When I run, I have my GPS. I'm concerned about my time, duration, breathing & form..

When I jog, there's no GPS. There's no consideration for time or duration, etc.. I just run for the joy & the health of it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Running = a stride wherein both feet leave the ground at once (versus walking, where one foot is always in contact).

A jog is a slower run. A sprint is a faster run. These are subjective. What's faster or slower for you may not be what is faster or slower for me.

That doesn't matter though: it's all running. Jogging, to me, is a word people use either to self-deprecate ("oh, I wasn't running...it was just a jog") or Serious Important Runners (tm) use to disparage more casual runners.

"It was being a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the. . . It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham

Actually, there is a difference between sprinting and jogging/running.

Sprinting is performed under anaerobic conditions: you are working so hard you cannot keep up with the oxygen demands of the muscles, and so build up lactic acid.

Running/jogging is aerobic: you supply the muscles sufficient oxygen to prevent lactic acid accumulation.

The actual speed at which these happen is of course dependent on the individual athlete.

A sprint is still a run. A jog is also a run. Nothing in my post suggested that all three exercises involve the same oxygen demands. Also, OP wasn't asking about aerobic/anaerobic conditions or sprints, as you'll recall.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    On the Life Fitness treadmills at my gym it has a button specifically named "jogging" and the speed is 4.0, there is also another button for "running" and the speed is 6.0. I've always went with the idea that speed dictates what is considered a run and what is considered a jog.

Wow, I go at 4.0 on my treadmill and I always called it fast walking. I can now call it jogging! :)
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ETA: It's funny to me how we never say a small child is jogging. They're either walking or running. When did we grow out of that?

Love that!!
  • rdeysher
    rdeysher Posts: 22
    Options
    I run, either at 4.5 mph, 5 mph, or 6 mph. It depends on if my legs can handle it that day, but if I'm not physically walking, then I consider it running.

I agree with this!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    ETA: It's funny to me how we never say a small child is jogging. They're either walking or running. When did we grow out of that?

Love that!!

And I love your profile pic! Lol!
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

When I run, I have my GPS. I'm concerned about my time, duration, breathing & form..

When I jog, there's no GPS. There's no consideration for time or duration, etc.. I just run for the joy & the health of it.

I have been calling what I have been doing "jogging" because it just feels too early for me, and too boastful, to actually say I am a runner. I've only been at it a few weeks and I'm still learning a lot and pretty slow. And not going very far, either.

That said, my JOGGING has been done with a GPS with the aim to increase my time and duration and I have been working on my breathing and form.

I hope to be able to soon say with confidence that I'm a runner and not just a jogger.

But whatever it is, it's moving, and it's good for me, and I'm enjoying it!!!!!!
  • Samquentin1
    Samquentin1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too... I've just started a couch to 5k app... I'll be doing week 2 day three tonight.... I'm just wanting to be able to jog/run whatever for at least a mile a time.... It's something I've dreamed about, and decided, I'm going to do it.

I did find this site, that has some differences...

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Jogging_vs_Running
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Jogging- Fast walking, slow running... This is just my definition lol.
    This is pretty much what I think, too.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

I have been calling what I have been doing "jogging" because it just feels too early for me, and too boastful, to actually say I am a runner. I've only been at it a few weeks and I'm still learning a lot and pretty slow. And not going very far, either.

That said, my JOGGING has been done with a GPS with the aim to increase my time and duration and I have been working on my breathing and form.

I hope to be able to soon say with confidence that I'm a runner and not just a jogger.

But whatever it is, it's moving, and it's good for me, and I'm enjoying it!!!!!!

How could it be boastful? You're already a runner. Don't demean what you are doing.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

How could it be boastful? You're already a runner. Don't demean what you are doing.

Thank you! I needed that. :)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

Thank you! I needed that. :)

My pleasure! Good luck reaching your goals!
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Running is so trendy now people like to separate themselves from casual runners. Just because you aren't Mo Farah it doesn't mean you aren't a runner.

Set yourself a goal if it will make you feel more accomplished - call yourself a 'runner' when you can do 5K in under 30 minutes?