Whats the difference between running and jogging

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I love that this thread is 2 pages long and no one has thrown the grenade yet. Ask this question on any dedicated running forum and you'll get a very specific answer within the first three responses. Followed of course, by 27 pages of hostility over that answer.

My answer: It's an effort thing. Running is a determined, mindful act where you are genuinely pushing yourself. Jogging is what I would do on a "recovery run" back when I ran religiously.

The grenade, and again, it is so common a thing among certain running communities that I am shocked no one has said it yet....

Jogging: Anything slower than 10:00 per mile.
    Running: Anything faster than 10:00 per mile.

There is probably some truth to that in so far as for the vast majority of runners, 10:00 per mile and faster requires mindful effort. Paying attention to breathing and form etc. Anything under that you can do while talking on the phone.

So, basically, you are saying that a lot of people on "dedicated running forum(s)" are pompous d-bags. Yes?

Running Bros.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'll tag this so I can see where it goes later. Sometimes I say I run, sometimes I say I jog. I usually use it in terms of perceived effort. I've jogged a 7:45 mile, but I've also jogged an 11:00 mile.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Check out http://slowisthenewfast.com/ for some slow running motivation.

glin: love the profile picture. I used to have that on my notebook at work with the caption "I have no idea what you asked me so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

So on my LSR at 11 minute miles I'm jogging, on my tempo runs I'm running and on my interval runs I'm sometimes jogging and sometimes running.

That makes sense...
  • JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Running is a broad category that includes sprinting, jogging, escaping predators, fun runs, etc. Jogging is a consistent speed activity typically done for fitness or recreation.

I agree with this, I don't think it is a clear cut thing. My running pace, could be a more fit person's jogging pace. I think it is just a flavor thing when people use one term vs the other.
  • sbsmutoni
    sbsmutoni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I spent 6 years training for and running marathons. I did it for Team in Training, which was a charity. I loved it. I was not thin when I started and I was not thin 6 years later. I "ran" 5 marathons, 18 1/2 marathons, and then became the TNT walk coach because they did not have one, and I WALKED 2 marathons. I also run the National Championship 15k held in my city every year, and have done so for 14 years in a row.

In all my training runs, marathons and other variety of runs, I have only ever run one half in less than 10:00 miles. For me, I was running. For me, I was a champion. I was running to save lives......those of people with cancer, and my own by being fit.

You should be extrodinarly proud of all your running, jogging or whatever anyone wants to call it. You are moving, and you are treating your body as it should be treated. Who gives a rip how fast you run!! Go out there and have fun, get healthy and be happy!!

There used to be a writer who wrote for Runner's World magazine, and was also a guest speaker at many TNT events. His name was John Bingham. He was a slow runner, and referred to himself as a penguin. He often talked to our groups because we were mostly amatures. He always signed off on his columns by saying "waddle on".

So I say to you....have fun out there and waddle on!!
  • piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want to call it why can I only log my 4.5 mph as "very, very brisk walk"? I am definitely either running or jogging (based on feet leaving the ground) but MFP says I must be walking if I am that slow. Really? It seems as though the calorie burn is higher based on walking vs.running (maybe I am wrong here - I am sure someone will let me know). At least at my gym for my weight 4.4 mph is 400 ish calories per hour while 4.5 is over 800. That must be walking vs running.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

fail,fail,fail.
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank." ~ George Sheehan
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Here....Remy will explain better than any of us can....

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/joggers
  • stoneydave79
    Options
    The point we seem to miss is.... it's all exercise, slow or fast, run or jog, you do it and enjoy it. Who cares what it's called. Does a 6.5 ft person "run" faster than a 4.2 person? Even if that shorter person takes more steps per mile?? I say just enjoy it
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If there was a bomb in an office building, pretty much everyone would be running out of that building. If a person was running slower than a 10:00/mile pace but was trying to run as fast possible, I can't see myself describing that person as "jogging out of the building that has a bomb."

To me, terms like "running", "sprinting", and "jogging" refer to personal effort. Sprinting is going all out. Most people do not describe themselves as "sprinting" a marathon because it's so hard to do (they may "sprint" at the end towards the finish line, though). I might sprint to reach the bus before it departs the stop. I might jog after a long run to slow down but not so abruptly.

I think that's why being referred as a "jogger" seems to be found more offensive than being referred to as a "slow runner." If you're seen as a "jogger", it's like people think you're not trying hard enough.
  • awebs1
    awebs1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are pushing yourself you are running. If not, jogging. Thats all it is really.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Jogging means to zig-zag. A straight line that makes an abrupt turn is said to have a jog in it!

Jogging didn't take its meaning of running on a road till the 60s - Bill Bowerman wrote the book on jogging (literally) in 1966. The term's use came from the kiwis, who used it in lieu of "roadwork" for boxers. i.e. Rocky jogs around Philly in the movies. So, it just means running outdoors, but it's more of a marketing term either way.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Did the OP ask about sprinting?

Did the OP just ask her husband since he said she was jogging?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Stride and video: pretty funny comments in this thread about defining someone jogging versus running. The video link provides insight on stride- - ->short versus long from someone who knows where of he speaketh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgP4NhhxSRg
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    running - something you do in a hurry to save your life, like run out of the way of a careening car, a rough wave, a guy chasing you who you don't want to catch you... and so on. You may also like to run if you want to pretend you are Rocky, if you want to run a marathon... you run, but may intermittently also walk and jog and feel like an amazing yet scrunched up million dollars when you cross the finish line! Go You!!!

jogging - some physical simulation of running done while wearing a specifically designed flashy fashion outfit that is generally expensive , it may be built for a sexy sleek look and enhanced performance. This will also result in directing the eyes of bystanders to the bouncing of ones junk in a desirable motion up and down, perky jogging .... this now can either attract a person of the opposite sex to you cus of your sheer sexy awesomeness and /or allow you to keep fit which may ensure you keeping the desire of person you already have because he or she will be admiring all your bouncing junk err I mean all your hard work at keeping motivated and dedicated to your fitness ...it is said all the bouncing of junk hypnotizes them and you can whisper softly .. I am the one over and over and they will never leave you. Bonus ... you stay fit and get endorphin highs, then sometimes will wanna go have sex in the shower .....but only sometimes.

have a good run/jog... or whatever you wanna call it!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Terminology and social cliques.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Jogging- Fast walking, slow running... This is just my definition lol.

we call it "yogging" in the military- and it's typically associated with your speed and intent.

To me, and my friends if we say go for a yog- it's Easy/recovery/run and we chit chat the whole time. I'm not talking if I'm running.

technically all jogging qualifies as running- but not all running qualifies as jogging.

I would never judge someone on their speed or label it for them- I know when I'm running and when I'm jogging and that's all that matters. My jog might be someone's running. It's not a fixed thing.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    All semantics. Different people have tried to come up with definitions, but none of them are definitive. Essentially jogging is a lower intensity form of running but how that gets defined isn't universally accepted.

Personally, I tend to think I jog on my recovery days and run the others. But that is just me.

Some people have started to consider or use it as an insult, which i guess was inevitable. I would call somebody out who told someone they were only jogging and not running. Pure ignorance and sounds like an attempt to knock the runner down.

So don't worry, it's a not clearly defined subset of running.

There is a definitive definition:

One foot in contact with the ground at all times during the stride= walking

Both feet leave the ground at the same time during the stride=Running

Physiologically, there is no such thing as "jogging".

^This.