Limiting Dessert to 2 days a week

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Serving of ice cream every night, lost weight, so I'm not your guy.

Don't restrict/limit yourself - work it in.

Took a look at your diary. So a whole .5 cups of ice cream isn't limiting yourself? LOL Again, my main problem with the "I eat ice cream every day!" crew. The portion tends to get glossed over. I'm not opening a pint of Ben and Jerry's unless I'm eating at least half of it.

I would personally call that portion control...something a lot of folks around here could stand to learn. It really makes maintaining a lot easier when you can practice portion control and moderation.

there's a big difference between restricting yourself by eliminating things vs just practicing a little self control/portion control.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

Took a look at your diary. So a whole .5 cups of ice cream isn't limiting yourself? LOL Again, my main problem with the "I eat ice cream every day!" crew. The portion tends to get glossed over. I'm not opening a pint of Ben and Jerry's unless I'm eating at least half of it.

I would personally call that portion control...something a lot of folks around here could stand to learn. It really makes maintaining a lot easier when you can practice portion control and moderation.

there's a big difference between restricting yourself by eliminating things vs just practicing a little self control/portion control.

Spot On!!!
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I eat a sweet everyday. :) I just don't eat 2 servings, I eat one serving. It is about self control and proportions.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have a large cup of nonfat Swiss Miss with a tablespoon of Cool Whip free every day after dinner. Warm, a little caffeine boost and it hits that sweets craving.

If I have a "real" dessert, I have it out of the house where the portion is already controlled and I limit that to once a month..so I really plan that dessert!

Whatever works for you, works for you so don't get down on yourself if it doesn't work immediately. The clerk at the Dunkin Donuts by my house used to know my name, so it is a process...!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has an issue with eating dessert every night! I have that problem and can't seem to kick it. I end up sabotaging my diet. I am looking for some support to help me keep on track to limiting my dessert to 2 nights a week. Does anyone else need help with this?

Personally I am not interested in dessert; not even once a month, but find nothing wrong with it...even every day if that is what you like. The only thing I would suggest is that you work it into your daily general calories...and that's it.
    Enjoy !
  • justbeachy01
    justbeachy01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love the Skinny Cow candies! They satisfy my sweet tooth after dinner and they aren't a ton of calories! Or, mini ice creams (like mini drumsticks). I know I am not able to cut out sweets so it's just moderation.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose right now but all the same, I cut back a lot on sweets in my diet (well, except today but I have to get rid of leftover chocolate somehow!) and it's made my calories a lot more generous, so that's one upside to it to remember. You can replace those calories with ones that are more filling and nutrient rich. Also if you eat things like fruits instead I think we actually get used to different kinds of less processed sweetness.

Limiting it instead of cutting it out completely is a good idea, though. Just so you don't feel crazy deprived and life is short!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity It's a really good guide for filling in your diary to make sure you're hitting your macros, but still allowing room for treats. Last Thursday my breakfast was a chocolate peanut butter Pop Tart "ice cream sandwich" with Talenti chocolate peanut butter cup gelato. Sure, I would've loved to have a second one, but it wouldn't have fit into my day. Sometimes I'll put the pint on top of the scale, zero it out and take one big spoonful out and close the lid. That's what I log, and that's all I eat, but some days it's enough.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Literally the only problem area I have left with food is in the area of desserts. I've conquered all other bad habits and demons, but sweets remain a weakness. I can take, or leave, any and all other typical "trigger" foods, and I'm not an overeater by nature, except when it comes to the goodies.

So I have to limit. I am terrible at the "everyday in moderation" approach when it comes to the sweets; been there, done that, and I gained 140lbs after massively failing at the "everyday in moderation" approach. People who are satisfied with a half a cup of ice cream, three oreos, or a sliver of dark chocolate a day just aren't living on my planet and I've accepted that. I'd rather have no dessert than a tease of one. So I've found success limiting them to only occasional appearances, but indulging to my hearts content when I do have them.

Sometimes that looks like a once a week situation, or sometimes I'll go a couple weeks of eating a ton of sweets, then putting them away for weeks, and even months, at a time. It works for me.

Be real, be honest, with yourself. Find what works for you.
  • perdikatherine
    Options
    I so much agree with you. I have a huge sweet tooth, sweets are my weak point and I can't seem to be able to get over it. So, what I try to do is limit the sweets intake to once a week. The bad thing is that on this one day, I go crazy with cookies, muffins, maybe ice-cream all day long and go overboard with my calories... I try to exercise on this day but not as intensely as the rest of the week. The rest of the days my calories are usually 1,100-1,500.
    This usually happens to me during the middle of the week, when I have classes in the evening and I don't have time to go to the gym. So I'm at a loss sometimes and I can't always control my cravings for sweets...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

It's a serving, and that's what I eat to satisfy my craving. I eat a lot of food throughout the day because I'm not a pig with my portions. Except tonight I rejiggered my diary because of free pizza. And rum cake because of an office function. Just because my ice cream comes in a pail (with a handle and all) doesn't mean I need to nurse it all night.
  • Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My health coach advised me to buy a large candy bar that I like at the grocery store. Each night when I crave ice cream, eat a single piece of the candy bar and wait fifteen minutes. This is enough time for your brain to realize that it has satisfied it's craving for something sweet. It takes some self restraint but it does work.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

This!!!

<<<<<<<<<<< Eats dessert/ snacks every day. :-)
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider: a big bowl of blueberries with some Special K on top...sweet, crunchy and satisfying!

I'm all about volume, and a square of dark chocolate isn't going to do it for me...but berries,yum!