Do you mind eating at a restaurant by yourself?

Options
montana_girl
montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
I ask because on Thursday evenings, my husband and I always go out to dinner. He is out of town today, so I am going to go by myself. But I've had several friends who have made comments like, "All alone? Why not just get something to go and eat it at home?"

For me the whole point to eating out is, well, to eat out. Seems silly to pay for a nice meal, have them shove into a Styrofoam container, take it home and put it on a plate that I will have to wash. Plus the food never tastes as good. Might as well just make something at home. Plus, the wait staff knows me at the restaurant I'm going to (we go there a lot) so if they see me eating alone, and they have the time, they will stop by the table to chat with me. So I don’t really feel like I’m eating alone. I know a lot of people hate eating out alone, but it’s not that big of a deal to me.

What about you? Do you eat out alone? Or get the food to go?

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't go out to eat very frequently, but when I do it is usually to meet friends. I have gone out alone on occassion, but it's just not as much fun.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Either depending on my mood. It doesn't bother me at all to sit by myself for a meal.
  • TheSwoleMinister
    TheSwoleMinister Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfortable eating out alone then grab a friend, or just cook at home.

youre-welcome-card1.jpg
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options
    I don't mind eating out alone, at all. If I am hungry for something I cannot (or too lazy to) cook. I will head out. Doesn't seem that big of a deal
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Am I hungry? Then yes.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I never mind that. It's a time for personal solitude. I even have gone to see movies by myself too. I don't mind at all.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Don't mind it at all. I've done it when on business travel. But it isn't much fun to eat by myself at a restaurant.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I literally do it everyday
  • TheCounselorx
    TheCounselorx Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    I don't mind eating alone, its easier if its where people away alone on bsuiness eat - So what I do, take a book or the modern day book (phone/Tablet).

Maybe give someone a smile too, they may chat with you - so long as it's not a old perv like me who will take it as a come-on lol
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I eat out alone all the time. I bring a book, read and eat my food. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a bit. I will usually sit at the bar, if there is one, and have met some pretty interesting people that way.
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't mind it. I spend the time people-watching or if it's a casual place sometimes I'll bring a book.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going out to eat alone sometimes. But I have 5 kids, so I also enjoy getting to go the bathroom alone.

Anyway, go if you want to. Take a book or a magazine, or just people watch.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but I don't think it would bother me. I'm not a very social person anyway so I'd probably prefer it tbh.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also, it's been my experience that friends and family can really be quite messy. Don't let them be the source to your feeling that way. Say thank you to those people and do as you please. You'll be much happier.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I can eat alone, but I prefer to get take-out.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Nope. I used to travel for work a lot. I just take my Kindle along and read.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road a lot for work, so I end up eating by myself often. Best advice: eat at the bar...less conspicuous and usually better service from a friendly bartender :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    When I traveled for work, I did. I usually sat at the bar. The quiet was nice at first, but by the third week, I was over it.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't mind at all! I used to travel for work 30-40% of the year and eating alone in a hotel room is NO fun. I typically find a nice place that also has a bar - you never know who you will meet sitting at the bar, and usually the bartender will talk to you too. Or take a book or magazine or just play on your phone.

You enjoy that meal!