Any advice? 130lb wanting to go down to around 100

Options
Hello,
Today I've decided that I've spent enough time hating and crying over the way i look and have decided to do something about it and start dieting. At the moment I weigh 130lb and am 5'4". I have an awful figure, my bra size is 34C, waist is 25" but have this huge huge *kitten* and thighs. I know that you can't really target where you lose weight, but if that's where I seem to put it on, is that where I'll lose it?

I'm a student so I'm on a tight budget, although I live with my boyfriend who also wants to start losing weight himself. Have any of you got any ideas/tips on how to get started? I'm vegetarian so eating a primarily lean meat/fish diet is out of the question. Another point to add is that I have severe depression which I am getting treated for, but it does mean that getting up and being active is usually difficult for me, hence why I want to lose weight by focussing on my diet.

Thanks for any help you guys have :)

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Those measurements sound lovely. 100 lbs is way too low for your height. The first thing you need to do is love yourself.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe gain muscle and get toned. You don't need to lose weight.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Maybe gain muscle and get toned. You don't need to lose weight.

If you were 5ft maybe 100 lbs.. hit the weights.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    For your height and dimensions, 100 is way too thin. you wont look good. I agree with adding weights. Your ideal weight may be around 118. Shoot for thee, not 100. WAY too low.
    Fit is the new healthy...skinny is not the new healthy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Start looking at strength training - it will change your body composition, and you'll start to get the look you want.

You shouldn't be trying to lose weight - work on changing how that weight looks, instead.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    5'4" and 100LBS would be very very underweight. Please consider building muscle instead.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    squats should be your new best friend for those legs and booty
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm at a hotel that has this scale that told me I weighed 94ibs two days ago. If you'd like I could mail the damn scale to you... it takes off an instant 20ibs from your weight!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Those measurements sound lovely. 100 lbs is way too low for your height. The first thing you need to do is love yourself.

I agree completely! Losing weight (especially 30 pounds) is probably not going to solve anything. It didn't for me - I'm still short waisted, carry all my extra weight in my stomach area, and I have a flat butt. And you know what? I don't even care!

Be kind to yourself. We all have our flaws - embrace them.
  • marcellapiret
    Options
    Ok so if I were to increase my goal weight to around 118lb, what sort of food should I be eating and avoiding? What sort of exercises would be good to loose the extra flabby bits of fat, but not gain loads of muscle? I'd like to be toned and firmer, just not visibly really muscly
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm at a hotel that has this scale that told me I weighed 94ibs two days ago. If you'd like I could mail the damn scale to you... it takes off an instant 20ibs from your weight!
    Haha love it (and please send me your scale post haste...lol)
  • Yilsip
    Yilsip Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi There,
    I am 5'5, 140 lbs, 28 inch waist, size 34D. There is no way on earth you will look good at 100lbs, I am serious. Can you work on toning your lower half? I am very pear-shape and can't stand the size of my thighs and hips so I am weigh training and doing lots of upper leg workouts and squats.
    You sound like you have a lovely shape, just work on toning it up!
  • sparillo
    sparillo Posts: 6
    Options
    Trust me you won't become "muscle-y" as a woman unless you are seriously trying to. Women are able to lift and tone and gain healthy muscle while still looking curvy. Just keep eating healthy and work some weights into your routine. Your body shape and composition will morph over time.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Ok so if I were to increase my goal weight to around 118lb, what sort of food should I be eating and avoiding? What sort of exercises would be good to loose the extra flabby bits of fat, but not gain loads of muscle? I'd like to be toned and firmer, just not visibly really muscly

You won't get muscly. Start lurking in the "Success Stories" forum, and see all the lovely lifting ladies. Some women want a more muscled appearance than I'd want to go for, but they get that way through a strict diet plan and a ton of work--it's not something that will ever sneak up on you. Ever. (Seriously, even guys with their testosterone advantage have to bust *kitten* to get muscle definition).

Here's a great success story that shows the difference that weight training can make for body recomposition. There are more, but this one was easy for me to find. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1203419-the-difference-3lbs-can-make-w-before-after-pics

And this is another thread showing a lot of different people's results. "Impressive" is an understatement. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1120789-females-only-lifting-weight-training-results
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Today I've decided that I've spent enough time hating and crying over the way i look and have decided to do something about it and start dieting. At the moment I weigh 130lb and am 5'4". I have an awful figure, my bra size is 34C, waist is 25" but have this huge huge *kitten* and thighs. I know that you can't really target where you lose weight, but if that's where I seem to put it on, is that where I'll lose it?

I'm a student so I'm on a tight budget, although I live with my boyfriend who also wants to start losing weight himself. Have any of you got any ideas/tips on how to get started? I'm vegetarian so eating a primarily lean meat/fish diet is out of the question. Another point to add is that I have severe depression which I am getting treated for, but it does mean that getting up and being active is usually difficult for me, hence why I want to lose weight by focussing on my diet.

Thanks for any help you guys have :)

I am offended by your "awful figure" statement. I have your exact measurements, and my body is beautiful. Sorry it's so awful on YOU. But you're being absolutely ridiculous.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cut out sugar. All sugar. Fruits included. That is gonna be tough when you are vegetarian.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Start looking at strength training - it will change your body composition, and you'll start to get the look you want.

You shouldn't be trying to lose weight - work on changing how that weight looks, instead.

^ this exactly.

My measurements are similar to yours and I am reducing my jiggly bum and thighs by weight lifting. I think 100 lbs is way too low for someone of our size, depending on body type, but you should be less focused about a number representing your weight and focus on making your body look the way you'd like it to! Lifting weights will definitely help with that (speaking from experience!) :)
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    oops double posted.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.75 and 133lbs, admittedly I could lose some off my tum but not at the expense of everything else. At 46 I can't afford to look like a tortoise without his shell!

What I'm saying, badly, is your goal seems very low.