A personal question for the ladies...

Options
AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
Hi Gals - personal question to ask...
:flowerforyou:

Has anyone else experienced a missing or late period as related to dieting? Or have your cycles been thrown off? This is very unlike me...

Thanks in advance for any input!
:blushing:

Replies

• AJCM
    Options

Has anyone else experienced a missing or late period as related to dieting? Or have your cycles been thrown off? This is very unlike me...

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did. It was early and late for the first couple of months. It is now back on track.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thanks icandoit!! I figured it was the drastic change in diet.
    :smile:
  • wordygirl
    wordygirl Posts: 28
    Options
    I know that once I got on a regular cardio schedule, my periods skipped for a bit and then they became regular again. They lasted for fewer days and were shorter though.
    Hope this helps!
  • dakoda
    dakoda Posts: 38
    Options
    Yes, I have. Mine comes later and later each month. It's throwing me all off & it's rather unusual!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    all over the place here too...fun times when you don't know for sure when to expect it....:noway:

I hear it will even off....I HOPE SO! lol
    hugs!
    ali
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    yeah but I was told it's normal because your body is going through a dramatic change.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have too, I am about a week late.... but I know I'm not pregnant so its all good, :bigsmile: totally worth it
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have.
    I didn't get a period at all 2 months ago and was a few days early last month.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Mine has been both more painful and lighter, but I'm on the pill so it's pretty regular. Go fig.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options

The only way your period should be late when relating to excercise or irregular is when your body fat levels drop below 25%. When I had 11% body fat my periods went bonkers. If your period is late or acting bonkers, get to the OB/GYN PLEASE!!!!! Could be a bun in ye' old oven, or something you want to check out ASAP. Anyway just don't guess or take our word for it, just get it checked out, probably nothing:smile:
    A lot o women who are obese to morbidly obese ( and some that aren't) get tumors and cysts that cause irregular menses. Often when women loose a great deal of weight their bodies become more regular and excercise can also do this, plus decrease cramping.
    But you are having missing or late menses go to your GYN pretty please, like tomorrow, please. O.k. you getting your coat? Got the keys? Go ahead:wink::love: :cry:
  • Phatmomma
    Options
    I have too, I am about a week late.... but I know I'm not pregnant so its all good, :bigsmile: totally worth it

Sure about that? Lol if you are having sex just check it out . With my first child and I was a size 1-3 I was working out like a fruit cake and 11% body fat and my pregnancy test were negative. The MD said I wasn't preggos. Well guess what? I was tee-hee. Some women do not produce enough HGC for the standard pregnancy test to be positive. My test didn't come back positive until I was 3 months along and the pregnancy was confirmed prior using the old school blood test for this reason. Hmm wonder if they still use rabbits?:noway:

Anyway gals and gals, if your period is acting bonkers just get it checked out just in case of: pregnancy, cyst, cancer, infection, STD, tubal pregnancy.....
    I have been in fitness since age 10 (yep ten) and I haven't ever seen anything that suggest eating healthy and excercising should cause your period to cease or to be irregular. (both in moderation and healthy terms of course). Good luck everyone, you ladies are rocking it!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thanks ladies... I used to be like clockwork, and lately it's been 24 days, 30 days, 26 days, 22 days, all over the place! This one is 35 days and counting!

Thanks for all the input.

Phatmomma - you've got me all worried!!! I did take 3 pregnancy tests, and all were neg. I'm not medically "overweight" or "underweight" (haha - imagine!), so I don't think that is it! I will see the doc just in case though.

Thanks again...
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Sure about that?

lol, yes I'm positive! being down in fat is NOT the only reason your period would act wacky! My doctor told me at my last visit that even a mild increase in excercise can potentially cause it! Or a decrease for that manner. Although I do agree, if you have concerns about that or do not regularly see a gyno, you SHOULD go... because there is a plethera of causes, some very dangerous. :drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Women's bodies are sensitive to change. My ob/gyn's recommendation is that if you have gone 3 months without a period you need to start to work on what may be causing it. Late, irregular or otherwise can be caused from dieting or an increase in physical activity.

YOu seem to be having one, just not a regularly timed one but you are having one once a month and that's all you need. It will regulate.

This may sound crazy but mine got out of whack when my daughter started having periods, first they were on time, then a week later then early, even got lucky enough to have 2 in a month and now they are normal again. It has been proven that women that live in the same household will start to have periods within a week of each other, if not at the same time. If you have other women in the house, especially a new room mate or something that could be part of the change.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    any weight gain or weight loss can effect your period as well as stress and many many other things. I am on Depo Provera and there fore do not have a period at all. But when I am losing weight I do get break thru bleeding even on my b/c shot. I chalk it up to hormones and our bodies adjusting to our new way of life. I will also say this, it has happened to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I have attempted to lose weight. I wouldn't stress about it too much love :flowerforyou:
  • Phatmomma
    Options
    Thanks ladies... I used to be like clockwork, and lately it's been 24 days, 30 days, 26 days, 22 days, all over the place! This one is 35 days and counting!

Thanks for all the input.

Phatmomma - you've got me all worried!!! I did take 3 pregnancy tests, and all were neg. I'm not medically "overweight" or "underweight" (haha - imagine!), so I don't think that is it! I will see the doc just in case though.

Thanks again...

Lol don't worry! But yep I didn't get a positive until 3 months! I didn't feel pregnant I was so skinny and everytime I went to the OB?GYN (they put me in problem OB only because they wanted to monitor my HGC after that I was routine preggos). Guess how many I took? I got so nuts I bought a bunch of test I had like 8! Finally number 8 I saw a faint double blue line and felt relief.

My friend Cara, no positive had her period the whole pregnancy ( I had mine dots here and htere for about 3 mos too). She was 5 months pregnant!!!! her period was just acting nuts but she was preggos-the baby was healthy thank goodness.

and the final tale to put ye' all in fear-my uncles wife had had irregular period and thought she was in early menopause. She found out she was pregnant....drumroll please................................
    When my mother and I drove her to the ER and her water broke! She thought she had peed herself. And she was 41 (and overweight)
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    anytime you have a lifestyle change, especially if you change your exercise routine or your eating habits it can throw your cycle off. I used to work for an OB/GYN and we would reccomend that if it stays like that for 3 months you should see your doctor.
  • Phatmomma
    Options

Sure about that?

lol, yes I'm positive! being down in fat is NOT the only reason your period would act wacky! My doctor told me at my last visit that even a mild increase in excercise can potentially cause it! Or a decrease for that manner. Although I do agree, if you have concerns about that or do not regularly see a gyno, you SHOULD go... because there is a plethera of causes, some very dangerous. :drinker:

I didn't mean down in fat as in losing weight-I mean seriously not having enough healthy fat as in anorexic, female athletes, or women who have poor diets or malnutrition.
    I'm just saying I have never been told that good eating and moderate excercise would cause a period to stop or be less regular. I have always been taught the opposite-that good eating and excercise can in some cases cause a woman to be more regular.

Many studies have supported this in which women have eaten better, lost substantial amounts of weight, and excercised and were then ablle to carry a full term baby or to concieve after years of infertility.

I'm just saying to get it checked out either way because young women and older women can have a wide range of women's health red flags that related to the menses.
  • Phatmomma
    Options
    Plus the original poster says she is NOT medically overweight or underweight and that she had taken 3 pregnancy tests which implies (hopefully GREAT news) that she felt she might be expecting. So I'mnot making a blanket comment. Some women this may be normal. The original poster however said she was NORMALLY regular and being that she is NOT overweight or UNDERweight, then she hasn't made a DRAMATIC :huh: change in lifestyle but choose to live a HEALTHY lifestyle in general, which only makes me advise that she should seek a quick GYN exam to be sure. I'd hate to htink everyone said for her to NOT worry and she in fact is pregnant. I'd much rather say it probably is just a natural change but just in case call your GYN. Good luck original poster and keep us updated (if you want). :tongue: :tongue: