Do we burn more calories in summer?

Options

Replies

• spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Another idea to consider if you're sleeping more, noticing appetite changes and tired, is it possible you are experiencing depression?
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We have our fair share of heatwaves in australia, and when it's very hot, eating healthy and keeping fit is a mixed bag, usually I have to excercise less because of the extreme heat, then again I also lose my appiette as eating raises your body temperature which you know it's hot enough at it is.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Actually winter here is more like summer for you guys :D:D:D you get the idea :D winter means 15-17 degree Celcius.. and summer hits 35-45 degrees :D

Sounds like Bahrain.... winter here is like UK summer only with more sun, and summer here.... well the a.c. and ceiling fan are my friends... when i lived in Saudi the summer temperatures would go above 50 degrees C, but Bahrain is more humid so it's not quite as hot here but I definitely feel it more *faints* I'm too hot already and it's not even April yet....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It isn't just how much you eat, but what you eat. Raw Vegans maintain at 3000 calories of fruit while others on a less healthy diet can maintain at 1500. If you eat fruit to up your intake, you shouldn't gain weight so long as the extra 200 calories aren't fattening foods. 1600 sounds low for a metabolism but you are petit so that could be correct. Just make sure!

this is not true. calories from fruit don't magically disappear or stop you from gaining weight if you eat more calories than you burn off. You can get fat overeating on fruit just as you can overeating on anything else. The difference between 500 calories of fruit and 500 calories of gummy bears* is that fruit also gives you fibre, vitamins and minerals. Gummy bears* only give you carbohydrate and nothing else, so if you tried to get all your calories from gummy bears and nothing else you'll get kwashiorkor, rickets, scurvy and other nutritional deficiency disease. But if you are eating more than you burn off, the excess is going to be stored as fat whether it comes from fruit or gummy bears or any other food.

*to use any random example, nothing personal against gummy bears in moderation so long as you're getting all the nutrients your body needs as well!

also, if raw vegans really need to eat twice as much food as non-raw-vegans to maintain their bodyweight, this suggests that they're not absorbing most of the nutrients they're eating and that's actually a very bad thing from a biological perspective, because malabsorption of nutrients is a sign of serious problems. Thriving people (and other animals) absorb their nutrients well and don't need to eat twice as much to get the same amount of nutrition. ..............But I suspect that what's really happening is that they're mistaken about how much they're eating and how much they're burning.

and neander for the win again!!

:flowerforyou:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My hunch is that this is either from too much heat for too long or a lack of something catching up to you.

As for the title question, in theory there's no reason to because of weather in and of itself. But...
    People's habits change with the seasons, especially if the weather is horrible for part of the year. There's not a lot of trees here (here for me being central US, not far from the Canadian border) so it's windy and it gets really cold so people do not do stuff outdoors in the winter here unless one or more of the following is true: they are a child, consuming alcohol, working, or nuts. They also make fewer trips to places and park closer to the door when they do.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid levels checked, along with B12, iron and D. My D and iron were extremely low and I had similar symptoms. With prescription level supplements, the symptoms disappeared.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    pregnant???

I know when I was pregnant I was exhausted for my 2nd trimester...sister was exhausted through 1st and 2nd trimester...

Or I would get iron levels checked...I can get anemic if I cycle...(I used depo to prevent it) and that makes me exhausted as well..

B12 as well is another on to get checked...

If that is fine then up your calories slowly 50-100calories a week until you "feel" better.

Yeah, I was surprised no one else mentioned this...if there is any possibility you should get a test. Those are pretty common experiences in early pregnancy.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    pregnant???

I know when I was pregnant I was exhausted for my 2nd trimester...sister was exhausted through 1st and 2nd trimester...

Or I would get iron levels checked...I can get anemic if I cycle...(I used depo to prevent it) and that makes me exhausted as well..

B12 as well is another on to get checked...

If that is fine then up your calories slowly 50-100calories a week until you "feel" better.

I thought the same thing.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS lose weight in the summer. I usually feel too hot to eat much. I know I eat smaller meals in the summer if I spend a lot of time in the heat. So I'm not sure if you would burn more calories really; your body temp is probably slightly elevated though.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I read through some of the replies, and I wanted to add that I know I eat less in the summer; BUT, I feel better in the summer. I am chronically Vitamin D deficient. I took a 50,000IU dose daily for years to get my level normal...and now during the winter have to take 5,000IUS daily just to maintain.

Yeah so if you feel like crap during the summer, have some blood work done.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I burn less calories in Summer. But then again, I live in the South and I hate the heat, so I don't want to go out, meet Mr. Sun, and go play. I want to stay inside and do nothing except avoid broiling and breathing in pollen.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    You could be feeling sluggish from the HIGH carbs..also your carbs are not the best variety. Try to eat the complex carbs and more low calorie protein.
    The carbs you eat now are quickly processed and you need to eat more of the foods that will keep you feeling full longer.

I would not increase calories, at 5 feet tall, it is so very easy to end up overweight.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    But lately I have started feeling tired and hungry on that amount. I feel tired to the same workout which I was doing with ease before. It is really hot these days as I am from India and I am kind of sweating all the time.

I brisk walk around 45-60 mins 5 days a week (Commute to and from work) and workout 5-6 times a week (Jillian micheals videos i.e 20-30 mins circuit training)
    Since you are sweating a lot, I wonder if you may need to replenish your electrolytes which can be depleted with lots of exercise and sweating. Many sports drinks have added sodium chloride and potassium chloride. I occasionally take a supplement with 7 cell salts which addresses more than sodium and potassium, because I also sweat a lot. I find Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D3 helpful for energy. (Others may already have mentioned these things, but I didn't read through all the replies.) Best to you OP! :smile:
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    it's seasons changing right now, so it is very likely to feel somewhat tires, maybe even hungry. It's called spring fatigue. Most people suffer from it in March-April, especially in geographic areas with 4 actual seasons (like, not summer all year long in temperatures or winter and snow all the year round).

Personally I only feel that I burn more calories on winter. You know, wearing heavier clothes and boots, walking throught tons of snow. And keeping your body warm. I seem to lose more during winter, but I would add 100 calories to my intake. Tops.

Summer... didn't see any need to increase calorie intake. I can't see why our metabolic rate would increase during summer.

But since it's warm outside, you could try a change of diet. Maybe more green, nutritious foods. Take some supliments. Watch your sleeping patterns.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Here in England if we get a heatwave in Summer, or the odd sunny day (as England is cloudy a lot of the time, and rainy sometimes and cold) then people will get out more and so I believe so.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You're 5 feet tall and weigh 100 lb. You live in India and don't drink water.

I weigh 110lbs and drink plenty of water. I am at a healthy weight for my height. I didn't get your point.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    it's seasons changing right now, so it is very likely to feel somewhat tires, maybe even hungry. It's called spring fatigue. Most people suffer from it in March-April, especially in geographic areas with 4 actual seasons (like, not summer all year long in temperatures or winter and snow all the year round).

Personally I only feel that I burn more calories on winter. You know, wearing heavier clothes and boots, walking throught tons of snow. And keeping your body warm. I seem to lose more during winter, but I would add 100 calories to my intake. Tops.

Summer... didn't see any need to increase calorie intake. I can't see why our metabolic rate would increase during summer.

But since it's warm outside, you could try a change of diet. Maybe more green, nutritious foods. Take some supliments. Watch your sleeping patterns.

Thats sounds a good idea. Change my meal patterns. Cutting down carbs is kinda difficult for me but I am trying my best. Its a journey after all. :love:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I definatly sweat more when its hotter outside therefore I am way more thirsty afterwards so yes, I can see how you "burn" more calories in the summer. your body produces sweat to try and cool you off, this would seem that your metabolism has to work harder. Make sure you are getting the most out of what you eat by eating whole foods of course and drink lots more water. I live in Florida so its always summer here pretty much. :flowerforyou:
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Its funny to me how I swim all summer and burn HUGE amounts of calories, eat more fresh and healthier food and lose very little in the summer!!! Its cray cray!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Its funny to me how I swim all summer and burn HUGE amounts of calories, eat more fresh and healthier food and lose very little in the summer!!! Its cray cray!!!

Cazy enough there have been studies on it.
    Might see if any of the possible reasons were effecting you.

http://www.sportsci.org/news/compeat/fat.html

Swimmers, especially female swimmers, face an energy balance conundrum. Elite swimmers typically undertake 4000-20,000 m per day in training, burning thousands of calories. However, the typical body fat levels of these athletes are significantly higher than runners or cyclists who expend similar or even smaller amounts of energy in their training. Many female swimmers have fought well-publicized battles with their body fat levels and with their coaches!