A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    If a calorie is not a calorie, then what is it? :P

it's a cookie

So you're telling me that I can eat 1400 cookies a day and lose weight? Awesome.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Not sure if any of you recall but Linsay is also the poster who came into the Keto thread and argue for that as well...for pages and pages and pages...

This one is adament in their correctness and rightness....based on beliefs...not science...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    If a calorie is not a calorie, then what is it? :P

It's a calorie, but how that impacts your body's ability to lose will vary depending on what that calorie is made of. :P
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Somewhere I read about a Macdonalds's hamburger. A grass fed "healthy fat" burger just does not compare to a Maconald's hamburger... I know it is hard for many people to swallow... but, unfortunately, it is the case. A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calorie of another.

Our body needs quality food.

*McDonald's

I have no problem swallowing either one.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Somewhere I read about a Macdonalds's hamburger. A grass fed "healthy fat" burger just does not compare to a Maconald's hamburger... I know it is hard for many people to swallow... but, unfortunately, it is the case. A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calorie of another.

No, really, a calorie of one will be equivalent to the calorie of the other. Because calories are units of energy. 300 calories from a burger, whether McDonald's or grass-fed, will be 300 calories. Period. Science is very clear on that.

You are talking about the nutritional content of food, but confusing that with calories. There may be foods that have higher nutritional contents than others and are therefore a better bang for your buck compared to another food of an equal calorie count, but the calories of both foods are the same and will yield the same amount of energy.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Not sure if any of you recall but Linsay is also the poster who came into the Keto thread and argue for that as well...for pages and pages and pages...

This one is adament in their correctness and rightness....based on beliefs...not science...

she also argued for Paleo for about 20 pages or some variant of it ..even after admitting the science was not sound and then cited studies she could never produce...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

you mean this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
    FTA:
    "In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros."
  • lindsey1979
    I have to applaud you though, whether or not you're right or wrong. You actually sound pretty level headed while stating your claims. Most people would have resulted to insults and rage quit by now lol.

ETA this was directed at lindsay1975. Not the individual above me LOL

Thanks, SassyJae. There is really a lot of good info and well-intentioned people on this site, but when things devolve into name calling and insults, that all becomes far too obscurred.

I love good debates -- it's how I learn about new things. Sometimes I get taught, other times I teach.
  • ndj1979

*McDonald's

ummmm tempting...but I will not go where the mind wants me to go ...
  • lindsey1979

after ten pages that is all you got, really?

so cow meat vs cow meat is not cow meat????

OT, but sadly, I read something recently that said McDonald's patties were something like 15% meat/protein. The rest was binders and whatnot. I'll see if I can find the article. It was pretty scary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

*McDonald's

I have no problem swallowing either....:bigsmile:
  • DamePiglet

you mean this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

How do you know that? Are you a mind reader? 'Cause as far as I could tell, she might have been reading the menu at a McDonald's drive through from that comment.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I'm starting to think OP is incapable of reading and writing and has been dictating what to write to someone else this whole time.
  • ndj1979
    I have to applaud you though, whether or not you're right or wrong. You actually sound pretty level headed while stating your claims. Most people would have resulted to insults and rage quit by now lol.

ETA this was directed at lindsay1975. Not the individual above me LOL

Thanks, SassyJae. There is really a lot of good info and well-intentioned people on this site, but when things devolve into name calling and insults, that all becomes far too obscurred.

I love good debates -- it's how I learn about new things. Sometimes I get taught, other times I teach.

that is hilarious...considering your first post into this thread said that anyone who did not agree with you was "ignorant"

oh the irony....
  • ndj1979

*McDonald's

well hot damn, we got a party now boyz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lindsey1979
    Wrong. Health impacts weight loss. How much weight you lose is DIRECTLY affected by what sort of tissue you're catabolizing -- whether it's muscle or fat. The more muscle you catabolize, the greater your weight loss will be. The more fat you catabolize, the less weight you'll lose.

Once again, you'll lose weight in both scenarios. But, if you want to maximize your efforts, you want to focus on fat loss, not weight loss generally as you want to retain as much muscle as possible.

Do you want to work hard? Or work both hard and smart? If it's the latter, then you want to focus on quality as well as quantity to maximize your efforts. Period.

Again this is about weight loss not the quality of the weight loss.

You can go around in this circle as many times as you want and yet prove nothing becaue you have nothing to back up what you are saying.

Yes we (most here who eat 80/20) agree it is best to watch macros to ensure we don't lose muscle...etc.

But we also agree if you want to lose weight(jsut that number on the scale nothing more nothing less) it is about quantity of calories and you have nothing concrete to suggest otherwise except your daunting need to be right.

Nothing to back up what you are saying...even the harvard article doesn't say it because it references studies of non calorie counting diets so that is mute in your argument.

And to be frank I don't care what you believe, there are too many of us that know better..and prove it day after day after day and "recruit" others to our side and feed them cookies :devil: and icecream sandwiches made with poptarts...and AMG they lose weight...because they are in a calorie deficet.

Oh And just because you think it doesn't make it so...

Science and cold hard facts are not on your side.

*flips hair, does a duck face and watches for the argument to flow forth*

Right fighters...have to be right...even when in the end they are wrong and look totally well...silly.

Not really true either. If you just wanted to lose weight, then you'd actually want to increase your muscle loss as that will produce the most bang for your buck for your deficit. So, it matters there as well (though, obviously, I think that's a horrible strategy).

Not to mention if you don't get some baseline protein and fat in, you'll hurt your weight loss efforts as the body needs some essential fatty acids and essential amino acids on a regular basis. You'll totally screw up your system if you only ate 100% carbs, calorie deficit or not.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

after ten pages that is all you got, really?

so cow meat vs cow meat is not cow meat????

OT, but sadly, I read something recently that said McDonald's patties were something like 15% meat/protein. The rest was binders and whatnot. I'll see if I can find the article. It was pretty scary.

15% protein is pretty good seeing as pure raw meat is something like 22% protein.
  • DamePiglet

*McDonald's

High-Five-GIF-1.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

Agree, and to many other threads and she is always right. :laugh:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Maybe I can help.

I think that what nearly everyone here is trying to get across, is that weight loss happens in an calorie deficit.

The reason that people started going in is because she said it is the phrase "LESS ABOUT QUANTITY". All that matters in weight loss when it comes to calories, is quantity. That's it.

Then you came in talking about how calories are acutally used in the body. This is a different topic. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, because honestly, I don't know enough about that to argue that point. But I, along with the rest of us here, know that for weight loss, only quantity matters. And from her oringinal statement, OP was talking about weight loss. If she wasn't, then she didn't specify. Or if she did, idk cause that was like 47 pages ago

That's all.

I appreciate that, but it's not true. A deficit is necessary for weight loss -- yes -- I'm in total agreement with you there. But how you create that deficit (i.e which calories you consume) will impact how much weight you actually lose.

For example (again):

--- 1 lb of fat releases 3500 kcals. So, if you are able to catabolize only fat and have a 3500 deficit, you will lose 1 lb.
    --- 1 lb of muscle releases 600-1500 kcals (I've seen various numbers). If you only catabolize muscle and have a 3500 deficit, you will lose 2.3-5.8 lbs.

The good news is that no one loses 100%, unless something is very medically wrong. So, most lose some percentage of fat and some percentage of muscle. Ideally, you want to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss. Eating a certain amount of protein and lifting heavy will help you do this is in a caloric deficit.

So, in conclusion, what you eat to create that deficit most certainly impacts your amount and type weight loss (although you will lose weight in a deficit regardless -- just how much of fat vs. muscle and how much total weight will be vary based on what you eat).

Ehh...Ok- I don't have the background to argue with you. But I WILL say is that I just started about 4 months ago getting serious about losing weight. I started with about 10-15lbs to lose. I've lost 8 of it so far, by eating whatever I want, hitting my macros, and staying in a calorie deficit. I don't care where the calories come from as long as I stay under my limit. I have gained muscle from doing resistance training, and I feel great.

If all of what you are saying is true; with the results that I've gotten, how did it happen then? I eat fast food 4 and 5 times a week. All I do is stay under my calorie goal. Because of my results, I can without a doubt say, that for weight loss; it just doesn't matter.

You just said a calorie deficit is neccesary for weight loss. That's really all that matters.