Do yourself a favor!

Options
If you haven't bought a food scale and you don't weigh your food, PLEASE DO IT! You'll save yourself so much frustration.

I've lost a little over 30 lbs on my own without weighing food, but it was so slow and I kept getting stalled/stuck. Bought a food scale this week, weighed everything out, and I'm already 1.5 lbs down from where I was on Monday.

Please take everyone's advice! It really does work!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Or... dont buy a scale, and overestimate. If you can do this, it will work in your favour, because you will be consuming just 100g of chips instead of your recorded 125g, drinking 250ml of juice instead of your recorded 400ml.

Then with the money that you havent wasted on a scale, you can go out and treat yourself afterwards!! Double whammy or what?!!!
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    Or... dont buy a scale, and overestimate. If you can do this, it will work in your favour, because you will be consuming just 100g of chips instead of your recorded 125g, drinking 250ml of juice instead of your recorded 400ml.

Then with the money that you havent wasted on a scale, you can go out and treat yourself afterwards!! Double whammy or what?!!!

That works too! But I like knowing exact amounts. And I think sometimes for some people (at least for me), what you thing is 'overestimating' isn't always overestimating.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    haha...omg, i keep my food scale in a drawer (i'm determined to have a very minimalistic kitchen) and have lost count of the number of times i open that drawer...it must be 50 times a day (feels like), which is a workout in itself (another plus maybe) :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Without a scale how do you know what 100g looks like????

A scale is about 20bucks
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Mine sits right on the counter. I paid less than $20 at Walmart, though I'm thinking it might be about $15. Digital, grams/ounces (two more weights but I've never used those) on/tare feature.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

This makes no sense to me. You would be consuming more accurately which is what you want with a food scale...

A food scale is only $15-$20 from Walmart... not like it is expensive. If anything you would save on throwing out leftovers....
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I found a cheap one at a discount store for less than $10, use it almost daily. Highly support this post!!!
  • drgal86
    drgal86 Posts: 13
    Options
    I bought a simple one for $5 at Walmart. A measuring cup that sits on top of a spring scale... So far best $5 I've spent. Estimating or guessing doesn't give you the accuracy you need when you're managing weight.
  • eldamiano
    Options

A scale is about 20bucks

Well, lets have a think. If I buy a pack of chips that say 500g on it, then yes, I can take an educated guess on how much I use. I would then round it up to the next 50g or whatever because I am never going to declare myself eating 115.29g of chips.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

A scale is about 20bucks

Well, lets have a think. If I buy a pack of chips that say 500g on it, then yes, I can take an educated guess on how much I use. I would then round it up to the next 50g or whatever because I am never going to declare myself eating 115.29g of chips.

it's not an educated guess unless you know what 100g looks like it's a guess...and guess what prepackaged food does not always weigh what is on the package...

ETA: if I eat 115.9g of chips that is what I log it's called accurarcy....
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Seem like it'd be excessive thinking to just overestimate. (which i do not have time for)
    It seriously takes 30 seconds to weigh a bowl of chips. :p

Digital scales are waaay better and accurate than the springy ones.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

A scale is about 20bucks

it's not an educated guess unless you know what 100g looks like it's a guess...and guess what prepackaged food does not always weigh what is on the package...

ETA: if I eat 115.9g of chips that is what I log it's called accurarcy....

I weighed my prepackaged breakfast and it added 28 calories that I otherwise would not have known about, imagine if that happened on a larger scale.

No pun intended.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    [it's not an educated guess unless you know what 100g looks like it's a guess...and guess what prepackaged food does not always weigh what is on the package...

I think you possibly just made that up without any evidence. Equally, your scales could just be making it up as well.

It really isnt that difficult though. You take roughly half a packet of something that says 200g on it, you put in 150g or whatever so you know you arent going over that. You arent going to be that far out using a bit of common sense. Then you will lose quicker than with your potentially dodgy scales.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Seem like it'd be excessive thinking to just overestimate. (which i do not have time for)

30 seconds just to weigh some chips? Ok, well it took me 29 seconds to estimate my food amounts. Point proven.
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my scale as well. I feel more in control over what I am eating. AND, I found that I was severely UNDER-estimating what things weighed.

If you like it, then do it. If you don't, then don't. It's that easy.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

30 seconds just to weigh some chips? Ok, well it took me 29 seconds to estimate my food amounts. Point proven.

Get out of here seriously.

Scales are great and clearly you don't agree, so go elsewhere.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yes point proven it takes less time to be wrong and more time to be correct.
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    [it's not an educated guess unless you know what 100g looks like it's a guess...and guess what prepackaged food does not always weigh what is on the package...

I think you possibly just made that up without any evidence. Equally, your scales could just be making it up as well.

It really isnt that difficult though. You take roughly half a packet of something that says 200g on it, you put in 150g or whatever so you know you arent going over that. You arent going to be that far out using a bit of common sense. Then you will lose quicker than with your potentially dodgy scales.

But then you also reach your calorie limit faster by overestimating... you could have had room for another snack in there if you logged accurately. Or an extra serving of something else.

I'd rather weigh all my food and KNOW that I can have a dish of pistachio ice cream at night that fits within my calories than guess on everything and think I've reach my daily calories when I haven't.

Accuracy is always going to beat estimating.
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    High five! :drinker:
  • eldamiano
    Options
    But then you also reach your calorie limit faster by overestimating... you could have had room for another snack in there if you logged accurately. Or an extra serving of something else.

I'd rather weigh all my food and KNOW that I can have a dish of pistachio ice cream at night that fits within my calories than guess on everything and think I've reach my daily calories when I haven't.

Accuracy is always going to beat estimating.

"But then you also reach your calorie limit faster by overestimating"

10 bonus points to you sherlock (isnt that the point of what I am saying?)

But I thought that losing weight was about eating less, not filling up with pistachio ice cream where possible.

On the contrary, so many people on here always complain that they are 'doing everything possible to lose weight', 'following all the rules', 'weighing to the nearest milligram' etc, but STILL cant lose weight.

Just imagine if these people had overestimated... the world would be have been a much happier place.