Do yourself a favor!

Options

Replies

• skinniestminniest
    Options
    Seem like it'd be excessive thinking to just overestimate. (which i do not have time for)
    It seriously takes 30 seconds to weigh a bowl of chips. :p

Digital scales are waaay better and accurate than the springy ones.

30 seconds just to weigh some chips? Ok, well it took me 29 seconds to estimate my food amounts. Point proven.

LAZY.

Yep. I really regret doing those marathons instead of weighing my food....

LOL Yes. 30 seconds to 1 minute weighing food equates to not being able to run a 4 hour marathon. You're so right.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Or... dont buy a scale, and overestimate. If you can do this, it will work in your favour, because you will be consuming just 100g of chips instead of your recorded 125g, drinking 250ml of juice instead of your recorded 400ml.

Then with the money that you havent wasted on a scale, you can go out and treat yourself afterwards!! Double whammy or what?!!!

I got a scale because I wanted to eat all 125 grams of chips. Not record 125 grams and then only eat 100. Why deny myself tasty calories?? If I am already at a deficit, why would I want to make an even bigger deficit?? Why would I want to risk being hungry all day because overestimating left me with too large of a calorie deficit??
  • tegalicious
    Options

Yes they "say" they are doing everything right and when you look at their diary they aren't weighing everything...and using quick adds and eating over, not choosing the correct entries, over estimating burns and eating them all, not logging for days or on weekends...

it does come down to being accurate and being in a deficet and it is easier to do that when you are 99% sure instead of being 80% sure...

As I said you don't want to use a scale ...don't we really don't care...it's an individaul choice but you will be in the very small minority who feels it isn't a "useful tool"....

What? How can you tell people arent weight from looking at a food diary? Do you secretly stalk them too?

yes I am a diary stalker/creeper amg...

If someone posts on the forums help I am not losing weight the first thing to do is go to their diary...ah hello...if it's open I look...if it's not I ask questions...

You can tell people don't weigh food by the entries like 1/2c of cheese or med banana or homemade chinese food or whatever..

Why do you care?

I think it's fantastic that you take the time out of your day to help people by looking over their diaries when they ask for help. Just saying...
  • I weigh everything...It's simply the best, better than all the rest...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I bought a simple one for $5 at Walmart. A measuring cup that sits on top of a spring scale... So far best $5 I've spent. Estimating or guessing doesn't give you the accuracy you need when you're managing weight.

Boom. Me too. Works just fine for me right now, but I'm thinking of getting a digital one for baking measurements.
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    Or... dont buy a scale, and overestimate. If you can do this, it will work in your favour, because you will be consuming just 100g of chips instead of your recorded 125g, drinking 250ml of juice instead of your recorded 400ml.

Then with the money that you havent wasted on a scale, you can go out and treat yourself afterwards!! Double whammy or what?!!!

I got a scale because I wanted to eat all 125 grams of chips. Not record 125 grams and then only eat 100. Why deny myself tasty calories?? If I am already at a deficit, why would I want to make an even bigger deficit?? Why would I want to risk being hungry all day because overestimating left me with too large of a calorie deficit??

THIS!!! This was my point with my pistachio ice cream. Instead, I got 'why are you filling in with ice cream.' Because I like ice cream and I want to make sure I'm making ALL my calories count instead of leaving off 100 or 200 that I could use to eat more or something I enjoy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I bought a simple one for $5 at Walmart. A measuring cup that sits on top of a spring scale... So far best $5 I've spent. Estimating or guessing doesn't give you the accuracy you need when you're managing weight.

Boom. Me too. Works just fine for me right now, but I'm thinking of getting a digital one for baking measurements.

Digital ones are the bomb esp if they have the zero/tare button...just put the bowl on it and zero it out each time you add something...or the cup if making a smootie...I got mine at Canadian Tire on sale for 19.99...regular price 59.99....:drinker:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Yes they "say" they are doing everything right and when you look at their diary they aren't weighing everything...and using quick adds and eating over, not choosing the correct entries, over estimating burns and eating them all, not logging for days or on weekends...

it does come down to being accurate and being in a deficet and it is easier to do that when you are 99% sure instead of being 80% sure...

As I said you don't want to use a scale ...don't we really don't care...it's an individaul choice but you will be in the very small minority who feels it isn't a "useful tool"....

What? How can you tell people arent weight from looking at a food diary? Do you secretly stalk them too?

If someone posts on the forums help I am not losing weight the first thing to do is go to their diary...ah hello...if it's open I look...if it's not I ask questions...

You can tell people don't weigh food by the entries like 1/2c of cheese or med banana or homemade chinese food or whatever..

Why do you care?

I dont... really. I am just responding to you. Why do you end everything with something so dismissive like 'I dont care', Why do you care?'
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm still resisting weighing my food. I don't disagree with the arguments in favor of this, but it just seems like a hassle and a mess.

Here's my justification: Every thing is an estimate. The number of calories you're supposed to eat is an estimate based in part on your activity level. That's going to change from day to day. If you eat back your exercise calories, that calorie burn is an estimate and even if you eat back only a portion of them that percentage is arbitrary. How much is it really going to matter if your calorie intake is precise when everything else isn't?

I totally hear you. I dragged my feet for the last six months on purchasing a scale because I thought it was too time consuming and far too obsessive for me. But then I stopped losing weight and have been stalled at the same weight for 2 months.

So I bought a food scale, took the extra time to measure everything out, and I saw a 1.5 lb decrease this week.

Everyone does something different. I had success in not weighing my food, but I want to see faster progress and I personally find that, for me, weighing my food out will help. Eating over my calories a few times a week (which I KNOW I was doing, as much as I tried to not admit it) has slowed me down. Majorly.

I think some part of me wants to be convinced to start weighing my food, but here's another thing: I'm trying my best to live my life as normally and comfortably as possible while losing weight slowly so that I'm less likely to change my ways after I cross the finish line. In my head I equate weighing food with extreme calorie restricting that I know I'll rebel against sooner or later.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I think we bought the same kind. :smile:
  • eldamiano
    Options

25 grams of chips is not going to make you hungry all day though is it? Good grief.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Why do you care?

I dont... really. I am just responding to you. Why do you end everything with something so dismissive like 'I dont care', Why do you care?'

because I am dismissing you and your posts....as silly and just plain ignorant...ignorant meaning lack of knowledge...I can tolerate stupid...that can be helped with education, but the "willful ignorance" you are embracing is beyond contempt...
  • eldamiano
    Options

Why do you care?

because I am dismissing you and your posts....as silly and just plain ignorant...ignorant meaning lack of knowledge...I can tolerate stupid...that can be helped with education, but the "willful ignorance" you are embracing is beyond contempt...

Thank you for the lesson in life. I am not being ignorant though. I have responded to all of your posts. Explain my lack of knowledge directly or please keep quiet...
  • tegalicious
    Options

25 grams of chips is not going to make you hungry all day though is it? Good grief.

I have a very demanding job. And a very demanding workout schedule. So yeah. I need to eat all my calories. And if I overestimated everything in my diary by 25 grams I would be one hangry *****.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Seem like it'd be excessive thinking to just overestimate. (which i do not have time for)
    It seriously takes 30 seconds to weigh a bowl of chips. :p

Digital scales are waaay better and accurate than the springy ones.

30 seconds just to weigh some chips? Ok, well it took me 29 seconds to estimate my food amounts. Point proven.

Yes point proven it takes less time to be wrong and more time to be correct.

Oh for goodness sake. My argument is that overestimating is better than being completely correct. Next....

Yes and then if you are trying to hit certain macros you have over estimated for that as well, and everything is thrown off. Then you are also assuming that people are just buying small bags of things that is east to do that with, that's really not what happens. It is great that works for you, but I don't really want to be under the 500 deficit I already have if I did, I would have just picked a bigger deficit.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Why do you care?

i say you're completely trolling this thread lol and we're just arguing with you for your entertainment..
    bc there's absolutely no way anyone would waste their precious "marathon time" on the boards proving someone can be this dense. :/
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

It is if you do it for everything.
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    I'm still resisting weighing my food. I don't disagree with the arguments in favor of this, but it just seems like a hassle and a mess.

Here's my justification: Every thing is an estimate. The number of calories you're supposed to eat is an estimate based in part on your activity level. That's going to change from day to day. If you eat back your exercise calories, that calorie burn is an estimate and even if you eat back only a portion of them that percentage is arbitrary. How much is it really going to matter if your calorie intake is precise when everything else isn't?

I totally hear you. I dragged my feet for the last six months on purchasing a scale because I thought it was too time consuming and far too obsessive for me. But then I stopped losing weight and have been stalled at the same weight for 2 months.

So I bought a food scale, took the extra time to measure everything out, and I saw a 1.5 lb decrease this week.

Everyone does something different. I had success in not weighing my food, but I want to see faster progress and I personally find that, for me, weighing my food out will help. Eating over my calories a few times a week (which I KNOW I was doing, as much as I tried to not admit it) has slowed me down. Majorly.

I think some part of me wants to be convinced to start weighing my food, but here's another thing: I'm trying my best to live my life as normally and comfortably as possible while losing weight slowly so that I'm less likely to change my ways after I cross the finish line. In my head I equate weighing food with extreme calorie restricting that I know I'll rebel against sooner or later.

I felt the same way. I thought weighing food would invade my normal life. And in a way, it has. My boyfriend rolls his eyes whenever I make dinner or my lunch for the next day and have to weigh it all out. But I don't really care, honestly. I'm doing it for me and I wasn't doing a good job making sure I wasn't overeating before. So this is what's working for me now.

I don't think it's really extreme calorie restricting because I'm still eating a healthy amount of calories. This way, I get to make sure I eat every last calorie and not feel bad or guilty because I'm not sure if I overate or not.

Not for everyone! I did it your way for six months and had success, but I'm looking to pick up the pace a little more.

Thanks for your input (:
  • eldamiano
    Options

Why do you care?

i say you're completely trolling this thread lol and we're just arguing with you for your entertainment..
    bc there's absolutely no way anyone would waste their precious "marathon time" on the boards proving someone can be this dense. :/

Oh good grief. Yet another one who fails to realise/acknowledge/take in to account my marathon comment as an ironic reference to being called lazy.....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how it takes 30 seconds to measure out anything....more like 10.