Coconut Oil Uses?!

Options

Replies

• tiffd1000
    tiffd1000 Posts: 93
    Options
    I am drinking it in my coffee right now ;) with a little irish creamer its amazing :) ... I have eatten it plain(well melt in microwave for 30seconds and took a shot of it) I just started w/ it bc I saw all of the amazing & natural benifits it offers. I need to try this as a lotion :) I guess we will see...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I don't know how to find proper research on this.. where should I look. Anyone have a good link please?

I just always knew oil based things shouldn't be used down there, guess the vaseline I used as teenager didn't kill me either but hey... just trying to learn.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't know what "oil pulling" is? I have literally never heard of this.
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I tend to get suspicious when the media begins to make a big fuss about a "new" miracle food product that's good for everything--anybody remember a few years back (quite a few years, yes, I'm that old!) when soy was the "wonder" item? It was great, everybody should eat it, helped prevent cancer, etc, etc. Now it's one of the major allergy food groups. So whenever some is being raved about as "good for everything", my inner skeptic raises a sarcastic eyebrow and muses, "What will people be saying about this product 20 years from now?"

I don't know what it does internally, but I was at my witts end with a really bad outbreak of excema one year and had tried everything. A friend recommended coconut oil and after using it for a few days after my usual shower, it started to clear up and the itching eased considerably. I am always skeptical too....I have to see something work for myself. I can't speak for anyone else but I have had good experience with it for skin uses.
  • LJDaye
    LJDaye Posts: 69
    Options
    I mix a little into my dog's food daily, it's great for her skin and coat and she absolutely loves it! I cook with it and I also use it as a face/body moisturizer and make up remover. I read somewhere that oil pulling will cause crowns to loosen. Anyone know if that is so?
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I just recently started cooking with coconut oil and really like it. I used to be an olive oil freak and made sure I got at least 1 or more tablespoons of it into my diet every day. Now, if I'm cooking, I'll use coconut oil (almost exclusively) when I would have used olive oil or spray oils before, unless it's something Italian... I definitely use olive oil for that. If it's something cold that I'm preparing (mostly salads), I'll still use olive oil. I did add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a smoothie the other day and I didn't happen to notice any difference from my usual smoothie, so I don't know if I'll do that again. I have too many cooked things I could use the oil for.

Oh, and I did use coconut oil instead of butter/margarine when I made grilled cheese/fried egg sandwich, the other day. It was good, but I used too much of it and the bread was left too oily. The outside was properly crunchy, but the oil soaked inward. I would definitely do this again, but with less oil.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to soften coconut oil without totally melting it? That was part of why I ended up with too much on my bread... it was so hard, it was difficult to spread it without tearing the bread.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't know what "oil pulling" is? I have literally never heard of this.

I only know because there was a topic in Chit Chat about it.

It's using oil for mouth wash for like 20 minutes.

I can't gargle/swish for 2 minutes.

It's mostly anecdotal- no science supports it.
  • MissKim78
    Options
    Sorry but I don't know how to find proper research on this.. where should I look. Anyone have a good link please?

I just always knew oil based things shouldn't be used down there, guess the vaseline I used as teenager didn't kill me either but hey... just trying to learn.

I checked with my doctor before using it. I figure something natural, such as an organic oil, is better than a synthetic lube! I can't even pronounce some of the ingredients in some lubes! LOL I'd rather know exactly what I'm putting down there! I've been using it for over 2 years and no issues and completely healthy down there. But like I always say, everyone is different. You can read stuff online for DAYSSSSS and still not know what to believe. I say talk to people that use it and talk to your doc or gyn. :smile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think coconut oil is ok for anal sex but not sure about vaginal use. I believe for vaginal sex it should be water based.. sorry if I'm wrong.

This is important if using condoms because oil-based products can rot latex. Otherwise it's fine (unless one has a coconut allergy).

Ok, I hope you are right. I wouldn't mind trying it if it's fine since I have so much coconut oil around. I am still not sure about it though. Does anyone know for sure. Guess I better go search but then I wasn't really that interested till now.

I checked with my doc about using it for vaginal sex and he said as long as it is extra virgin organic (less sugars = less irritaion and less chances for a yeast infection) there should be no issues. We've been using it for almost 2 years with no issues and my skin and that area are very sensitive. I usually wash up after if we use a lot though, just because it can be pretty greasy! LOL Everyone is different though so if you aren't sure, ask your doc or gyn or just try a little once.

Thanks. Good to hear what a doctor had to say about it :flowerforyou:
  • MissKim78
    Options
    I just recently started cooking with coconut oil and really like it. I used to be an olive oil freak and made sure I got at least 1 or more tablespoons of it into my diet every day. Now, if I'm cooking, I'll use coconut oil (almost exclusively) when I would have used olive oil or spray oils before, unless it's something Italian... I definitely use olive oil for that. If it's something cold that I'm preparing (mostly salads), I'll still use olive oil. I did add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a smoothie the other day and I didn't happen to notice any difference from my usual smoothie, so I don't know if I'll do that again. I have too many cooked things I could use the oil for.

Oh, and I did use coconut oil instead of butter/margarine when I made grilled cheese/fried egg sandwich, the other day. It was good, but I used too much of it and the bread was left too oily. The outside was properly crunchy, but the oil soaked inward. I would definitely do this again, but with less oil.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to soften coconut oil without totally melting it? That was part of why I ended up with too much on my bread... it was so hard, it was difficult to spread it without tearing the bread.

You can lightly rub it in your hands, that softens it. But if you are eating it, make sure your hands are clean! LOL
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    I mix a little into my dog's food daily, it's great for her skin and coat and she absolutely loves it! I cook with it and I also use it as a face/body moisturizer and make up remover. I read somewhere that oil pulling will cause crowns to loosen. Anyone know if that is so?

My dog loves to lick the spoon after I dish mine up.

Definitely do some research on the oil pulling. I don't know exactly what that is or what the purpose is, but I've read friends comments about their experiences with it and yes, they have had issues with all kinds of metal-based dental work coming loose. I'm not saying don't do it... just be careful.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options

There's a difference in types of oil. Vaseline is a petroleum-based oil... coming from the same source as gasoline. So, I can see why that kind of oil would not be good to use.

Coconut oil or any other fruit/vegetable "oil" is oil, but not chemical-based. So, it's very different.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I tend to get suspicious when the media begins to make a big fuss about a "new" miracle food product that's good for everything--anybody remember a few years back (quite a few years, yes, I'm that old!) when soy was the "wonder" item? It was great, everybody should eat it, helped prevent cancer, etc, etc. Now it's one of the major allergy food groups. So whenever some is being raved about as "good for everything", my inner skeptic raises a sarcastic eyebrow and muses, "What will people be saying about this product 20 years from now?"

I totally agree with what you're saying. I actually heard about oil pulling for teeth and gums from a friend of mine...and since I was starting to worry I'd lose my teeth if I didn't do something drastic (pregnancy was a ***** on them!) I tried it! Actually, I didn't even go out of my way to get any coconut oil. I was grocery shopping and went to grab my cooking spray and the coconut oil was sitting right under my nose. So I threw it in the cart and said "What the heck". I don't ingest it, and other than oil pulling for my teeth, I don't use it all over myself every day. I remember going meatless for a while, which led me to upping my soy intake drastically...and that turned into the worst time ever! Definitely messed with my moods and hormones. Don't need that happening again here. However, the lauric acid component, as well as the naturally GMO and antibacterial component make it a less daunting choice to me.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options

You can lightly rub it in your hands, that softens it. But if you are eating it, make sure your hands are clean! LOL

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to do that (rub it in my hands) because I'm pretty sure I have an undiagnosed case of OCD, really. I don't like touching sticky or slimy or dirty things unless I'm dealing with a task, can finish it, and wash them right after. I wash my hands probably 30 times a day.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I don't know what it does internally, but I was at my witts end with a really bad outbreak of excema one year and had tried everything. A friend recommended coconut oil and after using it for a few days after my usual shower, it started to clear up and the itching eased considerably. I am always skeptical too....I have to see something work for myself. I can't speak for anyone else but I have had good experience with it for skin uses.

Both of my kids have eczema, and I use it on their skin as well. It works great!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I use it on my eczema and other wounds, it helps stop the skin drying out and aids healing.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

You shouldn't use oil-based lubricants when using certain bc methods. It will cause the latex to break down. Coconut oil is actually a great lube, in my opinion.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Rub it on my hands and elbows before bed then run my hands through my hair. I have cooking spray, and a coconut spread for English muffins and such. I use it on razor burn and general itches and it stops the itch rights away.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I use it fora moisturizer and in my coffee. I sauteed some sliced brussel sprouts in coconut oil and seasoned with some thai seasoning salt...they were delish.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I totally agree with what you're saying. I actually heard about oil pulling for teeth and gums from a friend of mine...and since I was starting to worry I'd lose my teeth if I didn't do something drastic (pregnancy was a ***** on them!) I tried it! Actually, I didn't even go out of my way to get any coconut oil. I was grocery shopping and went to grab my cooking spray and the coconut oil was sitting right under my nose. So I threw it in the cart and said "What the heck". I don't ingest it, and other than oil pulling for my teeth, I don't use it all over myself every day. I remember going meatless for a while, which led me to upping my soy intake drastically...and that turned into the worst time ever! Definitely messed with my moods and hormones. Don't need that happening again here. However, the lauric acid component, as well as the naturally GMO and antibacterial component make it a less daunting choice to me.

I have had issues with perio disease for the past 18mths. I haven't tried oil pulling but I have added a daily effervescent vit C tablet to my diet. Last dental visit I'd reduced the perio by 70% over a 6wk period of starting using this. Don't know if that would be something you're interested in but just thought I'd throw it out there.