From 1-10, how important are your measuring spoons & cups ?

Options
13»

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    10 for my scale
    4 for measuring cups/spoons, I only use them when I'm being lazy. I'm working on converting my common recipes to read all in weights instead of cup/spoon measurements but I friggin hate math and it's a pain in the neck for me - and I have a TON of recipes so time consuming as well. But worth it, and then I'll be able to ditch the cups and use just the scale, ahh simplicity in my kitchen drawers :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    0 - everything goes on the scale

This.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids!

Mine measures both. I think most do.

The only time my measuring cups and spoons make it out of the drawer is when I'm baking.

Mine said to only weigh water because it wasn't calibrated for other liquids.

An ounce is an ounce whether it's water or milk or baby food.

Sure, but most nutrition information for liquids is calculated per mL. For water, 1 mL=1g, but that is NOT true for other liquids; their density varies. Cream is less dense than water, for example, so 1mL does not equal 1g (in fact, density of cream actual varies with temperature as well; using a liquid measuring cup is actually more accurate).

This is more complex than it needs to be.

All I'm saying is that if your scale measures in ounces and the nutritional information on whatever you're weighing is in ounces/serving then I don't see where this is an issue.

I measure my milk into my cereal bowl by putting the bowl on the scale, hitting tare, and then pouring the milk until I have the number of ounces I want.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

The only time my measuring cups and spoons make it out of the drawer is when I'm baking.

Sure, but most nutrition information for liquids is calculated per mL. For water, 1 mL=1g, but that is NOT true for other liquids; their density varies. Cream is less dense than water, for example, so 1mL does not equal 1g (in fact, density of cream actual varies with temperature as well; using a liquid measuring cup is actually more accurate).

This is more complex than it needs to be.

All I'm saying is that if your scale measures in ounces and the nutritional information on whatever you're weighing is in ounces/serving then I don't see where this is an issue.

And if your salad dressing's nutrition information is in mL or tablespoons, you will not be able to easily utilize a scale to measure a serving. Tablespoons and measuring cups have their place, and scales are not always appropriate for measuring a liquid's serving size.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Nope. Fluid ounces only equal avoirdupois ounces when the liquid in question has the same density as water.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If 1 = do not use, then 1. If 1 = use very rarely, then 0.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    my scale is tiny, so i use the measuring cups ON the scale so i can read the weight, otherwise most of my plates cover it up. :) plus i have oodles of them for some strange reason.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I actually prefer using the cups and spoons over the scale, constantly weighing everything felt a lot more obsessive to me than putting something in a cup :p and I still seem to lose weight either way
    Importance level - 8 :) I love my cups