All the Morbidly Obese say hi!

Options

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congratulations to all of you for starting your weight loss! You can do this!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hello! This time last year I was super obese - or class III obesity (a wiki definition) at 49 BMI. Today I'm down to 37 and being "just obese" is 17 pounds away. The numbers game is funny, it's pretty much possible to move from severely obese to just obese within a day poking at arbitrary numbers. No matter what my weight and BMI says, all I know is that I look and feel better now than I did last year.

It's the little things that only people who have a lot to lose share in common. The first time I was able to fit in our plastic chair was a little victory that those who don't need to lose much get to experience. The moment I realized that my love handles no longer sweat and rub, that funny moment when I was rolling around the floor with the dog and felt a weird growth on my hip that hit the floor hard... what is my body trying to do to me now? I hope it's nothing serious! It took me a few minutes to realise, but damn! I actually had a hip bone hiding underneath all that padding all along that I wasn't aware I had! Looking forward to such moments is an experience only we get to have :wink:

I, too, told no one about my weight loss. Funny thing is that for a big person it takes at least 50 pounds until people start noticing, but the changes start rolling faster and faster as time passes.

For me, I found that stressing is my worst enemy. I have a very wide range of calories budget (1000 - maintenance) to account for the days I don't feel like eating or days that I simply just can't stop. I took a 2 month "break" where I maintained my weight. It was an interesting experience. I had developed some healthy habits that stuck, so even though I was splurging on pizza and chocolate, the majority of my meals remained healthy. I realized how much I used to sabotage myself in the past due to guilt which spiraled me into a whirlpool of uncontrollable binging. Now I don't feel guilty if I eat too much or too little because it's all accounted for in my calorie range. The lack of this "I've screwed up" feeling is allowing me to pick myself up and continue each time I'm not exactly a "good girl".

Just enjoy your experience, no matter how long it will take to lose your weight. Notice the little things, and every aspect of your weight loss will feel magical!
  • LollyChester
    Options
    :) Hi! I have no advice since i'm just starting a similar journey myself. Just wanted to say yeah for taking the first step and feel free to add me if you need pals to cheer you on during the journey!! :) I am looking at 120 pounds over the next year and have decided to do it with food (normal food) and exercise. I've already done the weight loss systems, diets, helpful advice from everyone - but for me it is just becoming a new reality, not a diet. I don't ever want any of this toxicity back! SO you can do it!!! best of luck!
  • Mykala88
    Mykala88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, well this isn't my first attempt at losing weight.... but i'm sure we've all been there lol. :laugh:
    this time i have more determination and motivation.
    I got my final push this weekend from 2 OAP's.... i was taking my son to a local charity sale and 1 woman stopped me in the street to ask me 'when I was due?' ... :frown: she almost ran away when i said i wasn't pregnant. :cry: then 20mins later as i was leaving the sale, a different woman (who worked there), said the same thing..... i was pretty frustrated (putting it nicely). :mad: I stormed out, went home and was ranting/raving for ages. :explode:
    So, holding back the anger and sadness, I decided to finally crack down and lose weight.

I can't blame it on pregnancy and illness anymore.... that was 3 years ago now.
    Anyway, that's me, 25 years old, married and have a 3 year old son. I am currently 130kg and want to get to 80kg...

Feel free to add me as a friend etc. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    YAY! I honestly didn't realize there were so many of us on here. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I am in awe of most of you because you are much farther along than me, but I will get there! I haven't exercised the last couple of days even though I intended to because of horrible headaches culminating in the queen of all migraines yesterday. The fact I am having caffeine withdrawls and my abhorrence for the taste of water also means it could have been trigger by a combination of no caffeine and dehydration. My newest goal is to drink at least 4 glasses of water today.
    Anyway, I made my diary open to friends to not only keep me honest, but to really make me think about if I want you all to see that I broke down and ate a sheet cake:ohwell: Although, if I fall, I will report it, learn from my mistakes and keep on truckin'. BTW, next month you will see Cadbury mini-eggs pop up. Don't judge, we all have our Easter kryptonite and I'm going to allow myself the empty calories:bigsmile:

Just don't look at it as "broke down" or "a mistake", just as something less healthy than usual. The feeling of defeat can be very discouraging, and when you actually allow yourself these foods you are setting yourself up for a realistic lifelong strategy. When you reach your goal weight you will be tempted to eat all kinds of things, but learning to just make them a part of your diet now when you are faced with something would set you up for success in the maintenance period by learning how to incorperate them without sabotaging your efforts. I usually have a goal to eat 2/3 of my daily calories in healthier food. I often end up eating close to 100% in healthy food but when the mood strikes, I feel assured that I have a pretty large share of calories for the less healthy stuff. Just bend the rules to your own personal needs, desires, and lifestyle. Different strokes for different folks.

I know some people would binge to no end if they even have a tiny piece of cake, so their strategy is to always say no. I on the other hand tend to do better with flexible rules that still achieve the goal.

Today I ate a whole pack of mushroom sour cream flavored croutons when I had a sudden craving for something salty and crunchy. Could I have done better? Of course, salted cucumbers or a handful of nuts. Did I go overboard with the serving? You bet I did! 350 calories of croutons.. Do I feel guilty? Why on earth would I? They tasted like heaven, I had a respectable amount of vegetables today, and the day is close to ending with some calorie leeway left. I could kid myself and say I would have been happier crunching on cucumbers, but then I would be lying. There is nothing that works better than designing your own way of doing things, which would be a truly customized diet - not the illusion of customization.

As for the water, cucumbers! If you don't like water don't force it. H2O is H2O regardless of the source. Have some delicious homemade soup, have a few cucumbers or an orange, try flavored water and see if you like it, herbal teas (I love blueberry flavored hibiscus tea), make one of your snacks your favourite smoothie and in the summer who doesn't like watermelon! If you believe you can learn to love water, then by all means start slowly incorporating it, but if you will be gulping it down like medicine, then try to look for more creative ways because it will get old soon.
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have adopted a good attitude.
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Its nice to see others who aren't telling anyone what they are doing : ) My husband and I are working on losing weight I have 110 pounds to lose he has about 200. So we only have each other we just don't want to tell anyone and just see if and when people notice on their own.

Good luck to everyone : )
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started out with 170lbs to lose. This site and community has been a great help. Feel free to add me!
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, I have 15 pounds to lose, but have struggled right alongside my BFF and my favorite SIL who are considered morbidly obese. Both have issues that I have supported and been there for during everything. BFF was told by the doctor she had maybe five years left if we didn't come up with some kind of plan. (I mean BFF like 34 years three husbands lots of kids BFF). We support each other, I don't judge her for needing to lose 160 lbs. and she doesn't judge me for needing to lose 15. Hopefully I don't make her as uncomfortable and y'all have expressed you feel about it.
  • AbyssAli
    AbyssAli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Ali! I'm trying to lose weight since 2 years but this year will be mine and I'll reach my goal... In 2010, I was not even considered as overweight and now I'm weighing twice as much as 3 years ago... I'm searching for friends who really know what I'm going through... So ADD ME If you wanna know or help or support me!! ;)
  • nannypoo
    nannypoo Posts: 1
    Options
    Today is my fist day really looking into this program. I have a goal of 90-100 lbs loss. I guess having others that I can chat with would be helpful! Its been a cold winter here on the east coast and I am nothing short of EXCITED to get the heck out of the house and start enjoying the sunshine!! (right after this snow that is coming tomorrow!)

I can be great support and could use some.

Add me as a friend and lets do this together!!!!!

Goals: 5k In april, 10k in september, and half marathon in October! Help keep me accountable!
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I used to be morbidly obese at 321 and am now considered overweight at 198. It has been a long journey and continues to be but you gotta remember don't give up. If you stumble just get up dust yourself off and start over. Also remember this isn't a diet it is a lifestyle change. and you are not alone this is a great place and you will find lots of support and encouragement with weightloss and with life cuz life is what brought us to this place of needing to lose weight. Welcome to MFP
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I am Kathy. I have lost 78 lbs but still need to lose 120-130 lbs. I took eat some call the easy way out- gastric bypass. This was a last ditch effort of trying for years only to lose about 30 then gain 40 back. I know I could have done better but I didn't and I have suffered for it. My Dr told me in his opinion that this was my only chance of having a healthy life. So I met with my surgeon in April, 2013. On Nov. 20, I began a new lifestyle. This has not been easy by any means. Sure I can only eat small amounts but I have to make the right choices and listen to what I've been taught. I am morbidly obese but I am working on being obese then overweight then the new me! Please anyone who chooses to add me as a friend! Let's do this journey together!!!
  • Starfish1277
    Starfish1277 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Loopy,

I am also morbidly obese, though I recently went from Class 3 obese to Class 2 obese. Woohoo! I will be so excited to just be plain ole' obese. I started in November at 274 and am currently 250 on the dot.

My motivation is getting physically in shape. I just got tired of being an arm chair adventurer. I live in the Pacific Nothwest and I just want to be OUT THERE: doing all the hiking and adventuring I yearn for without worrying about if it will be too hard or if I will be able to keep up. So, while I do want to and am losing weight, it's not my focus. I have a book of 100 hikes all within a two hour drive of my city. I am going to hike every. single. one. This year. I have finished 14 hikes in the book so far this year and 25 hikes total (since I am not in great shape, I use easier hike to help me condition sometimes).

So, yeah, my plan is basically: drink water, count calories, climb mountains (or large hills that feel like mountains, but it will get better).

More specifically, I use a BodyMedia Fit armband to monitor how may calories I burn. I try to burn 3,000 calories per day and have a deficit of at least 500 calories. But I consider any day with any deficit (even 100 calories) successful.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

First off, I hate that term, but probably because it's true. I've lost weight in the past and gained it back and then some (as have many). I started in August 2013 determined to make it stick and this time I didn't care who knew about my journey. I didn't want to hide the fact that I was working on my weight because well they'd notice anyway. I post my progress on Facebook & Instagram. I've learned that some of the folks who I thought would have something not so nice to say are also struggling with something or other so we're all in the same boat. So far I have lost more inches than pounds (down 4 pants sizes & two shirt sizes!) but I'm OK with that. I joined MFP after losing an initial 20+ lbs. I don't always post my losses here because I decided the scale is just a tool and I use many tools (clothing, photos, measuring tape). We can and will do this!
  • beezmummy
    Options
    Hi All,

So nice to meet all of you. I am new to MFP and just checking things out. I am considered MO and have about 180 pounds to lose. I always thought I was "heathly fat" until last year when my healt started to go down hill after been diagnosed with PCOS. The last straw came last week when my 4 year started crying after school because her little friends were calling me fat. It broke my heart! Feel free to add me as friend and we can do this together!
  • zombiegirl123
    zombiegirl123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ...Hi! It's great to see all the "lbs lost" while skimming through this page. You are all doing an amazing job!! It's also great to feel the support everyone is sharing.

Although I'm obese, I have no health concerns or conditions which I'm very thankful for but I know that there is still changes I need to make. I have to lose at least 100 lbs (for myself) but based on a "chart" I got about 140 to go.

I know this has been said time and time again - it's not always about what you look like on the outside but how you feel on the inside. Being healthier is more important than a number on a scale. I work out 5-6 days per week for at least an hour doing a variety of exercises to keep it fun and interesting. I'm a big fan of Pilates and Zumba :happy:

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to everyone and with all sincerity and admiration - I wish for you all to have the strength to reach your goals, happiness in anything you do and long and healthy life!!
  • beccamaunder
    Options
    Hi, I'm Becca

It is nice to see a forum on here where there is a lot of other people who seem to be in my range of weight. I am morbidly obese at 340 lbs (that is hard to swallow). I know that some is due to medication I am on, but lets face it I know the rest is me. I am trying to get back to being healthy and fit. I would love to find support on here.

Becca
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hello, all...first let me say, any and all who want to add me, feel free.

I, too, am on this journey, just of getting healthier. Weight loss is a byproduct.

I am just under 5'4", 37 years old, and at my heaviest I was between 335-350. As of my last weigh in (Friday), I am 263.8. This journey has technically been years, but realistically, I am at week 6 of my new attitude of getting healthier and figuring out permanent, maintainable solutions!

My main thing that I tell everyone is we all need to drink more water. I was super shocked when I realized that the minimum of 8 cups a day is for that way slender, low end of average type person! Eek. I can tell you personally that when I started drinking closer to as much water as is medically recommended for your organs to function properly and to cleanse the toxins and FAT from your body, my cravings and such became more manageable. You can add lemon, lime, and/or cucumber to your water to help cut the taste some, but I promise you will eventually get used to it and even CRAVE it!!

You take your weight (in pounds - not sure how this conversion would work for metric), divide it in half and that is how much water (in ounces) you should drink as a minimum daily. For me, 272/2=136 divide that by 8 (cups) = 17...or if I divide by 16.9 (the size of my water bottles) = 8.124 or something...so 8 water bottles a day. Every time you drop 15 pounds, recalculate... I haven't ever yet hit my goal water count, but every step I take closer, I feel TONS better!!!!

Also, I put myself on total BLAST. I post my weekly weigh ins on Facebook, and post all the gritty details here. Anyone that asks, I will tell, because any motivation I pass on to anyone else in turn motivates me! So, as I said, feel free to add me!

Let's knock this baby out of the park...

Oh, and my favorite quote from a new MFP friend here, "I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!!"