How are you guys burning 500+ calories

Options
1234568»

Replies

• lunapetu0311
    Options
    I only burn that much when I run for 45 minutes or more (at a 9.5-10 minute pace). Every other workout is way less - around 100 calories. If you are wanting to get to the 500 mark - you will just need to increase your workout time and increase your intensity (use a heart rate monitor to help you with that). :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I ran 13 miles today. I really hope that I burned more than 500 calories.

8 calories per pound of body weight! So unless you're freakishly small, yeah, you're well over 500 calories.
  • widmer3
    widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well, I know for me, I'm doing calorie cyclic Leangains style....so my set calories on MFP are for my low-cal days, and then on my high-cal days I just say I burned 400-500 calories so my target goal is correct that day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The way I can burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time is to do a treadmill incline run or intervals.

100m burns the same amount of calories whether you're running at a 10 min/mile pace or a Usain Bolt pace.The difference is that the former will let you run for a long time, while the latter will burn you out after 6 intervals (i.e., after 600m).

The way to crank up the burns is to slow down and go further.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The way I can burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time is to do a treadmill incline run or intervals.

100m burns the same amount of calories whether you're running at a 10 min/mile pace or a Usain Bolt pace.

Sorry for getting slightly off topic, but is this right ? Genuinely curious.

So if I ran a mile in 8 minutes I would burn the same calories as if I ran it in 12 minutes?
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When I work out, I burn at least 400-430 each day by walking 3.6 speed on a treadmill on an incline for 45 mins. I do this 4-5 times a week. Then I will add a Jillian video a few times a week..which adds another 300 or so calories. So some days I burn over 700.

Btw, I use a Polar HRM for my calculations. I know some say that even a HRM can't be accurate..but I have lost 35 pounds from using that and eating back about half of my calories while staying in a deficit. So it works for me.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Then you get those that track their exercise but make the calories burnt = to 1? I don't get the point :/

When I'm doing TDEE - 20% or whatever, I don't add in calories burned but I want to track that I have exercised.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For comparison my bike ride burned:

HR monitor: 2,360
    MFP: 4,133
    Other charts: 3,300-3959

I use the HR monitor results.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I burn 500+ cals because I walk 5 miles daily for my job (fitbit says so), which is on average, 250-400 cals in addition to my "lightly active" setting. This is without additional exercise. I often burn 500-600 cals in my runs (45-50 min), or approximately 500 cals for 2 hours of pretty hardcore volleyball (mfp says it's more like 1000, but that sounds a bit ridiculous to me)

And I'm 6' 178 lbs.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options

100m burns the same amount of calories whether you're running at a 10 min/mile pace or a Usain Bolt pace.The difference is that the former will let you run for a long time, while the latter will burn you out after 6 intervals (i.e., after 600m).

The way to crank up the burns is to slow down and go further.

RIght...moving my body 1 mile requires the same amount of energy/burns same number of calories no matter how fast I do it, So, if you only have a limited time to work out, the faster you go, the more calories you'll burn in that time. But, if you have more time, if you go slower, you can go further without burning out, and you will burn more calories overall.