Stress when trying to build muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    as a side thought- I believe there are are a number of indicators showing stress reduces weight loss (I suspect that has to do with emotional eating more than the stress itself) but it stands to reason- there would be an equal and opposite reaction that could impact people trying to gain.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    its ususally the only time i can shut that stuff off actually
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Meh
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When you hit the gym, It's the perfect time to get your mind off all the weight the world puts on your shoulders. You have to make time their will never be time for it, I work 10hr days with 2hr commute and I have a toddler at home, If I'm not taking care of myself I'm no good for him so I get to the gym at 5:00am everyday and just focus. Focus on form, on contracting those muscles and on giving it all you've got! It's the only way you'll get thru the funk.
    Cheers
  • Making_changes7
    Making_changes7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm super impressed with all the support and advice.

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who can't focus on the task at hand if I've got added stress :( I tried working out tonight and it was a flop. But at least I attempted, right?

I know stress will always be in my life but I've found really great ways of dealing with it 95% of the time. It's just this other 5% that is much more added stress causing me to have crappy work outs.

But I watched the Ted Talks and I really appreciate all your support and advice. I'll keep trekking along and maybe one day I'll have that awesome workout that initiates my motivation.

Xoxo.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The stress is really not good if your trying to build muscle. The stress hormone cortisol will hinder your progress (in all honesty that's about as much as I know - don't know the whole scientific process). Cortisol is not as present when there is an insulin spike so it's good to have some simple carbs after a workout. That's obviously only going to help you out for a couple of hours though.

I'd really make an effort to get back to working out regularly ( I know I feel a lot happier since starting to exercise). I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about things, that never helps.

Maybe some kind of yoga or relaxation class would help? Or even just half an hour post workout stretching and foam rolling. Or even something as simple as having good solid tunes to lift to, might help get you in the zone.

Honestly, this all is the last thing anyone should think/worry about. No one should stress over stress.

Listen to this Ted Talk on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcGyVTAoXEU

Knowledge is power, in my opinion.

I also offered 4 possible suggestions in my answer, you offered none - just talked about what was happening to you.

Accepting this as a part of life and moving on is a great suggestion. If that Ted Talk is the one I think it is, it's is a wonderful reinterpretation of our world. I went out and bought "The Will Power Instinct" by Dr. McGonigal, that I highly recommend in this situation.

The other book I'd recommend is "Getting Things Done" Take all the stuff that's buzzing around in your head and get it down on paper where you don't have to deal with it until you need to.