breathing while running

Options
13»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    4. Breath in through your mouth and out through your nose. Why is this important? When summer gets here it will get hot. You lose more water breathing out through your mouth than you do your nose so it will help keep you hydrated. I suggest you do the same during the winter as it will help keep your nose warm. As the other poster also said get a rhythm down. It is difficult but once you do get a rhythm down breathing you won't have to think about it as much but for me I still have to think about breathing when I run.

References??

Because this sounds like complete and utter poppycock.

It's not uncommon to lose 3% to 7% (even more for elites) of your body weight in fluids during a run. This is perfectly natural and safe as the human body has been doing this for 1000s of years before Gatorade. So, the CCs (or less!) of water vapor that you exhale is going to make absolutely zero difference.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Take a look at runners in marathons on TV and world-class runners, they do not keep their mouths shut when running, that is because they are breathing through their mouths.
    If youre breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth, your mouth will stay open - you wouldn't be able to look at me and tell if Ive switched from using one method to the other. The same could apply to the runners we see on tv. Either way, the main point is just about breathing deeper
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    4. Breath in through your mouth and out through your nose. Why is this important? When summer gets here it will get hot. You lose more water breathing out through your mouth than you do your nose so it will help keep you hydrated. I suggest you do the same during the winter as it will help keep your nose warm. As the other poster also said get a rhythm down. It is difficult but once you do get a rhythm down breathing you won't have to think about it as much but for me I still have to think about breathing when I run.

References??

It's not uncommon to lose 3% to 7% (even more for elites) of your body weight in fluids during a run. This is perfectly natural and safe as the human body has been doing this for 1000s of years before Gatorade. So, the CCs (or less!) of water vapor that you exhale is going to make absolutely zero difference.

It is. I started running before half the people on this site were born and I am well acquainted with the "running culture" and a lot of it consists of blathering, self-referential nonsense like this.

I started and had been running with a group for 10 years before I moved away and went to graduate school for my ex phys masters. I went back to the old hometown a couple of times to run with the old group. When I tried to bring up some of the science I had recently learned, they wanted no part of it whatsoever if it conflicted in any way with their cherished folklore. It was a very weird experience--like I was some heretic being shunned by the tribe.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Runners breathe in through their noses, out thru the mouth. I've been running races since I was 6 years old, and trained as a runner. When you're training, they teach you in thru the nose out thru the mouth. Sometimes I do in and out thru the nose, but I always have my mouth closed when I'm running generally.

It takes practice, but you'll get it

Not all Runners. Some of us just let our body breathe the way it wants to. I think many people put way too much thought into breathing while you run. Would you be thinking "in through the nose, out through the mouth" if you were being chased by a Zombie? No. You would just run.

Technically you don't need to run fast if you were being chased by Zombies, you just need to be able to run faster than your friends!!!

I couldn't actually tell you how I breathe when I'm running as never really paid attention to it, I find it frustrating when my breathing is fine but my legs are gubbed (or my legs are fine but my breathing is gubbed), I need to find the balance so that both my legs and breathing are ok, practice, practice, practice, remember it doesn't matter if it's a 6min mile of a 20min mile, it's still a mile (unless Channing Tatum is waiting for you at the finish line, then you sprint like hell)!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of "Running on Air" by Bud Coates. It's available through Runner's World or Amazon. A terrific study of running and breathing...from beginners to expert.
    I found this, thanks:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique

A fairly even mix of science, practice and mysticism - should suit all runners :tongue:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    (snip)
    Now for breathing I'm sure there is a right way, but what feels most comfortable for me is through my mouth. I pace my breathing off of my strides.. so for an example when I jog I breath in two steps, breath out two steps. My breathing sets a good rythem, and I find when I focus on that rythm I also tend to run longer.

This is what I do too. Sometimes it's in 2, out 3 but most of the time it's in 2, out 2.

OP, you may also need to slow down. It's common for newbie runners to go a bit too fast and lose their breath quickly.

I'm a mouth breather too - my nasal passages are just to narrow to get a good intake, especially when doing something strenuous like running.
  • hennaj22
    hennaj22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Breathe-When-Running-19967835

Found this on Pinterest. Hope it helps :) Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

References??

It is. I started running before half the people on this site were born and I am well acquainted with the "running culture" and a lot of it consists of blathering, self-referential nonsense like this.

I started and had been running with a group for 10 years before I moved away and went to graduate school for my ex phys masters. I went back to the old hometown a couple of times to run with the old group. When I tried to bring up some of the science I had recently learned, they wanted no part of it whatsoever if it conflicted in any way with their cherished folklore. It was a very weird experience--like I was some heretic being shunned by the tribe.

This is why soliciting running advice to the general pop is risky lol
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have patterns for breathing...based on my footfalls. This came naturally to me over the course of 15+ years running. I can determine my effort based on my breathing or control my effort by my breathing. Of course if I'm going up/down a hill or speeding up it changes...

Slow recovery - 4 breaths in 4 breaths out
    Easy - 3 breaths in 2 breaths out
    Tempo or half marathon race - 2 breaths in, 1 breath out
    Intervals or 10k/5k race - 1-2 breaths in, 1 force full out

Since you are just beginning , slow easy running should be your focus. You should be able to carry on a conversation, if you can't talk, then you need to slow down until it is comfortable to do so.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    well if you do breathe in through the nose it should reduce burning in the throat, but your lungs will probably still experience the burn.

The burn in your lungs is a build up of CO2. Usually when your lungs start burning people will feel as tho they are not getting enough air and try to inhale more deeply.

what you really want to do is exhale more fully, this will help get rid of the CO2
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I have patterns for breathing...based on my footfalls. This came naturally to me over the course of 15+ years running. I can determine my effort based on my breathing or control my effort by my breathing. Of course if I'm going up/down a hill or speeding up it changes...

Since you are just beginning , slow easy running should be your focus. You should be able to carry on a conversation, if you can't talk, then you need to slow down until it is comfortable to do so.

don't understand this. how do you take 3 breaths in and 2 breaths out?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Too much work. I'd rather just breathe naturally all the time rather than have to bring a crib sheet on all my runs :laugh:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

It's not really that you're taking several breaths in, it's a matter of timing, also referred to as short breaths. For 2 breaths in, 2 breaths out, you're basically just breathing in as you make two foot falls (left strikes the ground, then right). Then you breathe out for the next two foot falls. For me, it's the best way to keep my pace at the right rate. If I don't pay attention to how I'm breathing, I tend to go too fast (especially on a down slope) and then lose my breath quickly and have to stop and walk to catch my breath.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I breathe through my mouth as my nose runs whilst running. Ultimately unless you're looking to run competitively I wouldn't worry too much about how you're breathing just as long as your comfortable :)

I also find if I think too much about my breathing it makes me feel out of breath and I can't get into the 'zone'...I listen to music so I can't hear my breathing and just let my body sort the breaths out naturally.

I could have written this last year. I still breathe through my mouth due to runny nose challenges.

I read the book "Running on Air" and that helped me a lot. I don't do the breathing cadence anymore, but what it really helped me do was start running more slowly.

I've stopped listening to music on runs under an hour because I like the feedback I get from hearing my breath and footfalls. But that's because I've been running for over a year. When you're new, it can really help to distract yourself from all the nonsense your brain is throwing at you.

As a lot of people have mentioned, slowing down will solve about 85% of running issues. There will come a point when you need to go "balls to the wall" but once you are at that point, you won't be focusing on how you breathe.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    well if you do breathe in through the nose it should reduce burning in the throat, but your lungs will probably still experience the burn.

The burn in your lungs is a build up of CO2. Usually when your lungs start burning people will feel as tho they are not getting enough air and try to inhale more deeply.

what you really want to do is exhale more fully, this will help get rid of the CO2

Exhaling is critical and is one of the things that newbies miss - not just running. Martial arts, lifting, whatever.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    aaaand breathe thank you
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OP...the breathing issues you are having could just you going out TOO fast. Slowing down will usually help ease breathing issues when it comes to running. I read through all the replies and not one person mention that...I am surprised actually.

I am a nose and mouth breather....on easy runs I usually am able to breath in and out strictly through my nose. During races or runs that are paced, it is usually in through my nose out through my mouth...but that is what works for me. Some of the girls in my running goup solely breath in/out through the mouth, etc...

I also recommend the Running on Air book, as it is really a good read.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options

This is "Running on Air" in a nutshell.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options

References??

As I said I didn't keep any references but know it was an article from Runners World as I used that websight for references. As I also said this works for me and suggested only trying it not that it was the only course of action. If you feel it's wrong you are welcome to your opinion but as I said it works for me. I find my mouth to not be dry when I breathe this way. Please share your suggestion with the original poster instead of trolling.

Here is an article that proves we are both correct.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Should-I-Breathe-Through-My-Nose-or-My-Mouth.html

Best wishes to the original poster.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

References??

As I said I didn't keep any references but know it was an article from Runners World as I used that websight for references. As I also said this works for me and suggested only trying it not that it was the only course of action. If you feel it's wrong you are welcome to your opinion but as I said it works for me. I find my mouth to not be dry when I breathe this way. Please share your suggestion with the original poster instead of trolling.

Here is an article that proves we are both correct.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Should-I-Breathe-Through-My-Nose-or-My-Mouth.html

Best wishes to the original poster.

Trolling? LOL. That's rich.

I did offer a suggestion, the same one that I always offer when someone asks about breathing when running. It's an involuntary action. Our body already knows how to do it, so just let it. That article confirms this.

If you can't seem to catch your breath when you are running, slow down.

It's really not that complicated, but sometimes we make it so.