HRM? Fit bit? Jawbone? Nike? Help!

Options

Replies

• terryfloresg
    terryfloresg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Force and I love it. I go to park and push my granddaughter on her stroller and it counts every step for me. I know because I open the fitbit app on my iPhone and I can see the steps adding up as I am taking them. It seems very accurate to me. When I take it off to charge it, even if it's at night time, I totally miss it. I love the fact that I don't need to charge it very often. It's about every 8 or 9 days. I stopped wearing a watch due to the watch on my Force. Also, I found syncing my Force to MFP to be very simple. I highly recommend it.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone up and I loved it... Now I hate it!! It keeps short changing me on my workouts. Hiked 4.8 miles today plugged in to the app to log and it said 4.8 miles. Changed it from generic activity to hike and it changed my mileage to 3.5 ....... It's STILL 4.8 wether I hiked or jogged or ran or crawled...... That's a major mileage difference.... It also changes my 10 minute runs to 8 when I change them from generic to run....
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and have had no issues using it, but its hot here in Az, so sweating happens w/o really much effort, lol

Also have and love (& yes I know it's been recalled but have had no issues since got it in November) the Fitbit Force. I started out in July with the Fitbit Flex and loved it (never wore in shower but one can) but wanted to actually see the steps and missed my watch.
  • aires87
    aires87 Posts: 1
    Options
    I recently purchased a Garmin Vivofit- I'm a runner and use one of their GPS watches to track my distance and speed so wanted to keep all my devices in the same family! It's awesome, it tracks your steps during regular activity, such as being at work or shopping, but also counts strides on the elliptical and treadmill. It can be purchased with a HRM too so it will give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn while you are doing different exercises, like cycling or a yoga class or whatever.

It has a screen on it that shows you how many steps you have taken, how many you have to go to make your daily goal (which changes depending on your previous days results), how many calories you've burnt and how many miles you've walked. It also has this red bar that shows up across the screen if you've been still for too long, which I love- you have to get up and walk around for a bit to make it go away. Best of all, the batteries last for a year before needing to be replaced, and it is totally waterproof, you can wear it in the shower, swimming, playing in the rain :)

It's relatively new to the market (it just came out earlier this month) so they are still working out some kinks with their phone app and stuff but it's definitely worth looking into, I have become so much more aware of how little I move around while I am at work and I am always making a conscious effort to do a lap around the building when I see that annoying red line!
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi Brie,

I have a Fitbit Flex (since December) and so far I'm still loving it. Just like Suznd75 said, it motivates me to reach my goals and if I haven't then I usually end up throwing in extra workouts somewhere.

I wear mine non-stop EXCEPT in the shower (the packaging says you can wear it in the shower but I don't like to). I wear it while I walk to work, to the gym, washing dishes, cooking, sleeping etc.

Im glad Im not the only one who takes it off in the shower! I also have a fitbit flex. Ive had it for about 2 weeks or so. and ive noticed im more active. I love to see the lights lighting up so Ill do everything to get all 5 on. im a stay at home mom so my calorie burn was pretty low. Until I got the flex. I have it set for 2900 calories burned. And I have to work to get them. I will workout and if need be Ill even walk laps around my living room while watching tv just to get the lights on. I cant wait for the weather to break so I can go outside and maybe set my calorie burned goal even higher (my goal burned eventualy is double what I eat. Which is 1840, thats what my calorie limit is. So id like to burn 3680 a day by summers end.)
  • gclauson
    gclauson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Along with MFP, i downloaded the free Pacer app, which links into MFP to track steps, and use the App Smart Alarm (1.99) to track sleep. So for two bucks i have what costs 100 in a FitBit Flex. That being said, i will probably get a FitBit because i am a statistics geek and Gadget nerd. Try Pacer and Smart Alarm though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I cant wait for the weather to break so I can go outside and maybe set my calorie burned goal even higher (my goal burned eventualy is double what I eat. Which is 1840, thats what my calorie limit is. So id like to burn 3680 a day by summers end.)

Strongly suggest you rethink your long term goal.

Sounds like you are under the impression the bigger the deficit the better. Incorrect, might do some research on that.

If bigger was better, why don't you think you could just stop eating and lose the weight really fast and be done with it?
    Because whatever negative you think could come from that, will still come from too large a deficit.

Would you rather purposely make wise choices for a slow but reasonable weight loss (slow compared to what you want), or have your body force it on you because of bad choices?

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Hi Brie,

I have a Fitbit Flex (since December) and so far I'm still loving it. Just like Suznd75 said, it motivates me to reach my goals and if I haven't then I usually end up throwing in extra workouts somewhere.

I wear mine non-stop EXCEPT in the shower (the packaging says you can wear it in the shower but I don't like to). I wear it while I walk to work, to the gym, washing dishes, cooking, sleeping etc.

My only regret is that I wish I had put the $$ out and got a Fitbit Force because that comes with a watch whereas the Flex does not.

Hope this helps; happy gadget-hunting!

Force are being recalled due to people actually getting a rash/burn from the band. Flex is water resistant to 30m so you can wear it in the shower (and it may keep the band clean as well when you think about it)
  • sunlainie
    sunlainie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had the bodymedia fit for a year now. I do like it and the online access isn't a huge cost. The drawbacks are the band that holds the sensor in the band is very flimsy and breaks easily. It is a cheap replacement but then you have to order and wait for delivery :( I am going to get the fitbit next.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    heybales

I didn't say I wasn't going to eat some of that back....it is summer and there is cook outs and family gatherings that will be attended. I've researched what I'm doing....I'm also under a doctors care. The bigger the amount i burn the more I can enjoy the cook outs and such. I only have this set for 1 pound a week...yes I've lose a lot in a month but its the beginning....we all lose allot at first. I expect it to slow to normal soon.

Edit
    Plus I only made a plan for 50 a year(less then a pound a week. I don't want fast results....I know its not good for me and I don't want lose baggy skin if I can avoid it in anyway). I only have 100 more to go. So 2 years from now is fine with me. I've been fat this long...I can be a little longer as long as its somewhat coming off....
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and love it but it is only good for step based activities. I had been thinking about a polar ft4 HRM but I saw this the other day

http://healbe.com/

think I might wait and see what the reviewers have to say about it.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Core band and absolutely love it! It also came with a year subscription, and find it very useful. I wear it every day, plug it in while I am in the shower, and certainly believe having the data linked to MFP has contributed to my weight loss.

Here's a referral link to save you 15%: http://bodymedia.extole.com/m/1270648960
  • abhull14
    abhull14 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to get a fitbit but it appears my wrist are to large. If anyone knows a solution for me let me know.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to get a fitbit but it appears my wrist are to large. If anyone knows a solution for me let me know.

You can get a Fitbit one. It's a clip on or you can keep it in your pocket.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have an hrm which I love. Not a fan of my fit bit one. Its just an overpriced pedometer in my opinion.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have an hrm which I love. Not a fan of my fit bit one. Its just an overpriced pedometer in my opinion.

It does much more than just count steps. If you are getting it just to count steps, then yeah, it is a bit "overpriced". I use it for so much more like the nifty website, sleep tracking, and stairs climbed to name just three things.
  • Starfish1277
    Starfish1277 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Link armband and I love it. I love data, and the reports really give you a lot. I really like that it connects to myfitnesspal and runkeeper. It has been very accurate and helpful for me. You can't wear it in the shower, but that is when I usually charge it. I think it was well worth the money. I ordered an extra armband with it initially, because I had heard they can be flimsy, but I haven't had any problems. It doesn't do heart rate, but is compatible with some HR monitors on the market if you want both. It is one of the most accurate monitors on the market. Plus, with the LINK armband, I love being able to see my progress on my phone.

It is a bit more obvious than other monitors. I am a teacher as well, and while it doesn't get in the way at all, kids will ask you about it, but it's just curiosity. Once I start talking about health, they lose interest. ;)
  • jenn8278
    jenn8278 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I asked for and received a Polar FT7 as a Valentine's Day gift from my hubby (so dramatically romantic, right?!). In any case, i LOVE this little device. It comes with a chest strap that you wear while working out, and it pairs to a watch, monitoring your heart rate during your workout. You set your personal data, and it calculates calories burned once you stop the workout.
    There are lots of things I still don't quite know how to do with it (mainly due to lack of time to sit and play with it). I know you can set fat burning zones and things like that, but again...just using it for the simple heart rate function.

In regards to the Fitbit, I actually had one in my hands, ready to purchase, but while looking at it, realized it was very similar to a pedometer. I decided to do some research on it first, and found it just wasn't right for me. A lot of reviews said that it would log activity not done (like one had it in her pocket on a 6 hour car ride, and it logged 4,000 steps for her!!!). If pedometers are your thing, totally get it! I'm not knocking the Fitbit...it just wasn't for me.

If you have any questions about the Polar system, let me know! I'll do my best to get an answer for you!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options

It does much more than just count steps. If you are getting it just to count steps, then yeah, it is a bit "overpriced". I use it for so much more like the nifty website, sleep tracking, and stairs climbed to name just three things.

That really doesn't help me either. I can tell how I sleep by how I feel and as far as stairs, it measures stairs by barametric pressure. That doesn't help me either because I live in a one floor building and my work is a one for building. If I want to do stairs I use the stairmaster, so it doesn't track that. A glorified pedometer in my opinion. If I wanted a rough estimate on the amount of calories I was burning I'd just use the MFP tracker.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Hi all!
    I asked for and received a Polar FT7 as a Valentine's Day gift from my hubby (so dramatically romantic, right?!). In any case, i LOVE this little device. It comes with a chest strap that you wear while working out, and it pairs to a watch, monitoring your heart rate during your workout. You set your personal data, and it calculates calories burned once you stop the workout.
    There are lots of things I still don't quite know how to do with it (mainly due to lack of time to sit and play with it). I know you can set fat burning zones and things like that, but again...just using it for the simple heart rate function.

In regards to the Fitbit, I actually had one in my hands, ready to purchase, but while looking at it, realized it was very similar to a pedometer. I decided to do some research on it first, and found it just wasn't right for me. A lot of reviews said that it would log activity not done (like one had it in her pocket on a 6 hour car ride, and it logged 4,000 steps for her!!!). If pedometers are your thing, totally get it! I'm not knocking the Fitbit...it just wasn't for me.

If you have any questions about the Polar system, let me know! I'll do my best to get an answer for you!

I have the Polar FT4 and I love it!!! $60 on Amazon