waist measurements(females only )

Options

Replies

• blackberrymuffintop
    Options
    Is it bad that my rib cage is the narrower than my actual waist? I measure there because it makes me feel better lol. It's 28'' and i'm 5'7''. I'm hoping to get it down to 24''ish
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Depends on the purpose! For clothing and what your figure looks like, yes, measure at the narrowest point/natural waist.

Though if you doctor measures you, they'll do it 1" above your belly botton, as that is more relevant to if you are likely to have too much fat around your organs.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist across my belly button - currently 5'4'' 137lb and 29'' waist (didn't measure when I started but it is definitely smaller now) - would like to be 26-27'' :)
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I measure the narrowest part of my waist.
    5'1"
    114lbs
    27inch waist
    Size 5/6 US mostly. Some size 7 pants.
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with thorsmom05 I also measure at the most narrow point. Im 5'8, 155lb and have a 30 inch waist, but ive only just started my journey so maybe a couple of inches off in a couple of months fingers crossed :).

Same boat as you
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hoping to get to at least a 26/24 inch waist : it may be reaching but I'm determined!
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    5'10 150#
    Smallest point 26.5
    Natural waist 29.25
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I recently found that you can add new measurements (ie measure different things from the ones specified on MFP). So I measure both!

5'6", 134lbs: natural waist 25" where I wear my jeans 31".
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    was 42" at 254lbs

at present waist 32" at 213lbs

goal is to get back to 20-24" at 115- 130lbs eventually
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I measure mine at the smallest point, but I'd imagine that consistency is more important than the exact location itself. Oh and I'm 5'6'' with a 22'' waist. No complaints :happy:
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    Smallest part of the waist is where I measure seeing as it's, well, my waist. So I take my waist measurement there. It's 25" right now. It'd be nice to see it at 24", which I imagine will happen once I've lost my desired amount of fat. I'm 105 pounds and 5' 3", for reference.
  • BreannaHayes1
    BreannaHayes1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I measure and record both the narrowest and at my belly button.
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    thankyooou sooo much everybody !! :)
  • My waist is the biggest part of my body, it's 29 inches
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I measure at the natural waist (narrowest point, right under the rib cage), over my belly button, and then over the pooch under my belly button.

I want them all to go down!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't think waist has the exact same position in every women's body, for me it's a bit low since I've got a big ribcage :) just try to find the smaller point. Mine is 29" I'm 5' 5" and 140-145 in weight :)

I'm 5'5" 140 lbs with a 29" waist as well!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My waist is the biggest part of my body, it's 29 inches

...bigger than your hips? At 29 inches, I doubt it.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I measure at my natural waist (the narrowest point), right on my belly button and just below. I get progressively larger as I go down my body so I like to track all three spots to see where I am losing! I tend to lose from my natural waist first, and the under my belly button spot last (grrrr, silly tummy fat).

I do the SAME thing! My natural waist has shrunk 5.5 inches in 2 weeks and my lower waist has only gone down 1 inch! That's the largest part of my body, so it is a little frustrating!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I track two measurements on that part of my midsection - the narrowest point (waist), and the portion below my belly button where I have the most excess fat (I call this measurements "abdomen").

It's really interesting to see that some months can have a large change in one of those measurements, while nothing happens to the other.

Edited to add:

5'0". Started at 164 lbs, 34.5" waist, 42" abdomen.
    Last measured at 111 lbs, 25.5" waist, 30" abdomen.

Got down to 107 lbs but then got pregnant and clearly am no longer 107 lbs as I am about 7.5 months pregnant :wink:.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also measure like meglizbo. I measure at the smallest area(actual waistline), at the belly button and just below the belly button. This way I can track any changes. It's easiest to measure at the belly button because there is no guessing if you are at the exact spot as when you measured before. All that matters is being able to track the changes. I am 5'7", 170 lbs, 39" at the belly. I have a hard time losing at my mid-section.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!