Options

Replies

• keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    Smallest part of the waist is where I measure seeing as it's, well, my waist. So I take my waist measurement there. It's 25" right now. It'd be nice to see it at 24", which I imagine will happen once I've lost my desired amount of fat. I'm 105 pounds and 5' 3", for reference.

Want to edit: I just measured for the first time in a couple weeks, and my waist is 24.25 now. Noice.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I measure at the belly button and natural wait to keep track. At 186.4 waist was 35.5' and belly button waist was 42'. I am another person who gains in their mid-section the most.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm at 151 lbs. 5'6"...my waist (right at my belly button,maybe slightly above) is 30". Hoping to get to 27"-28"...:smile:
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to measure at the smallest point, the natural waist. I'd rather measure there because it's a lot more encouraging than measuring at the belly button ; )
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The waist is measured at the narrowest point. You can find your natural waist by bending to your side (like an oblique stretch). Where your side creases is where you should measure.
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I measure around my belly button and I also hold my waist in because I was watching Dr. Oz and he said that's the proper way to measure...is pulling your waist in....go figure!!! I'm 5'2" and waist is 24.5 right now but I'd like to get to 22 or 21. Not sure what that looks like so I will be playing it by ear! :)

Does anyone else hold their belly in when measuring?
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I measure around my belly button and I also hold my waist in because I was watching Dr. Oz and he said that's the proper way to measure...is pulling your waist in....go figure!!! I'm 5'2" and waist is 24.5 right now but I'd like to get to 22 or 21. Not sure what that looks like so I will be playing it by ear! :)

Hmmmm...well to try and answer my own question, Dr. Oz says to suck in your waist to get a true reading of how much fat there is around your belly, because you can't suck in fat! :)
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Typically when something asks for a woman's waist measurement it assumes you will be measuring at the natural waist, aka the smallest part of you, typically around the base of your ribs. Measurements are almost always going to use the extreme. Bust and hip mean go around the widest part (around the fullest part of your chest and the widest part of you butt), and waist is going for the smallest.
    Waist at navel is an entirely separate measurement and will always specify that that's what it wants.
    For reference right now I'm about 28" at my natural waist and 31.5" around my navel.
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    thanks a bunch!
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I track two measurements on that part of my midsection - the narrowest point (waist), and the portion below my belly button where I have the most excess fat (I call this measurements "abdomen").

It's really interesting to see that some months can have a large change in one of those measurements, while nothing happens to the other.

Edited to add:

5'0". Started at 164 lbs, 34.5" waist, 42" abdomen.
    Last measured at 111 lbs, 25.5" waist, 30" abdomen.

Got down to 107 lbs but then got pregnant and clearly am no longer 107 lbs as I am about 7.5 months pregnant :wink:.

hey i have read your success story several times :) it always inspired me as i am the same height as you are :) .. i started at 152lbs and didnt took any measurements then :/ wish i would have :| congratulations about the pregnancy :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I measure at the same point every time.

That's really all that matters.

Things I measure regularly
    over bust (yes- over my breasts)
    chest (under bust/bra band)
    R Bi
    R Bi Flex
    Waist
    Low Hip/dropped waist
    Hip/Butt
    R Quad
    R Quad Flex

Hmmmm...well to try and answer my own question, Dr. Oz says to suck in your waist to get a true reading of how much fat there is around your belly, because you can't suck in fat! :)

Doctor Oz is an idiot.

BUT- that doesn't mean this method isn't correct.

"sucking it in" is viewed as cheating.

But if you take the "cheating" measurement every time- then you aren't really cheating- no room for cheating as you are already 100% cheated.

The consistency of the measuring is more important than the specific numbers themselves in this case.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I take the measurement at the point where my body creases when I bend over, I'm 4ft 10, 118 lbs. size 27 waist use to be 35 and weighed 150.5 much better now Id say yay !! size 6 or so in pants :)
  • missjmariam
    missjmariam Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i'm currently 138.5 lbs and my waist is 28.5 inches. I'm 5'6 ...got atleast another 15 lbs to drop hopefully my waist will be at 26 by then
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I measure just a bit under my rib cage which is also where my narrowest part of my waist is. When I started at 162 lbs, my waist was at 29.5", now my waist is at 27.25 at 145lbs. I live by my tape measure because sometimes the scale is a dirty little liar. I didn't budge a lb for two months, but lost a 3/4" off of my hips. Then suddenly this last week I dropped. 3.5 lbs and have lost a bit more on the tape measure.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SW: 158lbs and 30.5'' waist
    CW: 143 lbs and 28'' waist

I'm 5' 6'' and measure at the narrowest point. I read somewhere that for a women every 5lbs lost ~ 1'' off waist. Obvsiously that will change depending on height and body shape but I have found it to be reasonably accurate for me.

My GW is 130lbs and a 26-27'' waist .. although I am more fouced on measurements and lifting weights than I am about the scale #.
  • MrsPaulSmith
    MrsPaulSmith Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    A male's waist is measured at the belly button, a females is the narrowest point. 5'9" 22 yrs old 28 1/2" waist my goal is 27".
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I like to measure at my belly button as I have a bit of an overhang (lol). I started at 324, have no clue the measurements but was wearing a 44C bra and 26/28-30/32 in clothes. Currently I am at 251 and seeing a trainer. While my weight hasn't been dropping the way I would like, my measurements sure have.

11/23/13: Waist 40 / Hips 57 / Thigh 35 / Weight 256
    03/15/14: Waist 38-1/2 / Hips 54 / Thigh 31-1/2 / Weight 251
    Bra: 38
    Total Inch lost: 8.25
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm there on the narrowest point too - 5"4, 133lbs and 29in
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I measure at the narrowest part and around my belly button. I've lost the most around the latter. At the narrowest part, I've gone from 34 to 30.5, and at the belly button from 38 to 34. I'm 5'2" and went from 170 lbs to 145.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!