How long does everyone work out per day?

Options

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. Usually, though, I'm exercising in some fashion from 30 minutes to 2 hours a day. 30 minutes is usually either strength training or riding a stationary bike, though sometimes I do both and then it's around an hour. Longer times are outdoor runs or cross-country skiing, or in better weather, riding my bike.

On workdays, I usually work out 30 minutes to an hour, in the evening (either a Zumba class or doing something once I get home). On weekends, I'll go skiing for an hour or two, or running for an hour, or doing something else for a while. In summer my lifestyle is such that I'm exercising for much of the day (I work outdoors, which involves a lot of hiking, and I garden). I can't wait. . .
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. I aim more for a weekly goal. Right now:

3-5 hours of cardio a week
    3 lifting sessions (these take about 45 minutes)

My cardio goal can go much higher if I am training for a race, but right now I am just doing it for fun.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    No less than 60 min 6 times a week
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Usually about an hour M-F, longer on the weekends. Some times throw in a few 20 or 30 minute walks if I have time.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    25-30 min, probably 5 x week. But that is very intense, no rest, etc. HR is usually around 170. Both my husband and I found we leaned out (we didn't really have much weight to lose) doing these sort of workouts, compared to when we used to do more steady-state and/or longer workouts.
  • MrPortis
    MrPortis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do roughly 2 hours 4-5 days a week. It's a combination of lifting and cardio.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    90 minutes Monday to Friday. Cross trainer or dreadmill for 30-40 minutes, TRX and then adventures in the testosterzone :laugh:
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My shortest workout day right now is 45 minutes, and my longest is 3.5 hours, 2 rest days. When I'm not training for an event, it's 45-90 x5 days a week.
  • cjkumm87
    cjkumm87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I base it on how I'm feeling anywhere from 20 min to an hour
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    30 minutes for walking each day
    30 - 1 hour of DDP Yoga every other day =)
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    60-90 minutes 5-6x per week.

At least two days a week I do 120 minute session.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    3x/week on the Gazelle: 30 - 45 minutes.

4x/week (sometimes more): walking 60 - 140 minutes.
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do strictly cardio 5X week - 60 minutes on elliptical as hard as i can go and last the full hour, sometimes a combo of elliptical and treadmill run intervals but always 60 minutes. I'll also add strength (upper body like pushups, dumbell stuff, rows and lat pull downs) 3X week which makes those workouts total 90 minutes. i know this looks boring but i'm a creature of habit. My fitness goals are to simply cut serious weight and keep muscle tone. I'm about 30 lbs. shy of a total loss goal of 95 lbs. and about 13 months into my journey so it's not a crazy weight loss pace. (about 1.5-2 lbs a week the past 3 months)
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    45 mins- 1 hr 15 mins. Depends on if I add in a Jillian video on top of my 45 mins on the treadmill. I do that 4-5 days a week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I aim for 45-60 minutes per day but I'm not sure if I'm doing it long enough

"Long enough" is very subjective. Health Canada suggests a minimum of 2.5hrs of "activity" for adults to maintain a healthy lifestyle, on the other hand if you're training for a marathon it would be more. Your life, your goals!

Mine varies depending where I am in a training cycle or if I'm between cycles. Typically I'll run 4 or 5 times per week with times ranging from 30 min for a short run to 90 minutes for the longer ones, I usually also row 3 or 4 times per week (30 min to 1 hr), weights a couple times per week (maybe 30 min at a time) , biking a couple times per week (indoor in winter, more in summer) and I should be swimming a couple of times a week.....
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The amount of time is less relevant then the intensity you put in to that time. I've spent hours at the gym and lest then 30 minutes and have gotten more out of the 30 minutes then the two hours.

What is important is that you have a plan going in. After years of being a gym rat, I switched to CrossFit which gears workouts around WOD's (Work Out of the Day) which are generally unknown until the morning of the workout or at best the night before. These WOD's consist of "warm up" and stretching but the actual work can be as short as 7 minutes or as long as 40 but I guarantee the 7 minute variety will kick your butt. My point is, the time you spend "working out" can be as long or as short as you prefer but if you are about efficiency and getting the most, sometimes less can be more. You've seen those infomercials about the T20 (I think that's what it's called), that's the kind of intensity you should but in to a workout if you want to spend less time.

I'm amazed when I go to a gym and see people I've seen there for years, doing the same thing, day after day, and putting little effort or variety into what they are doing. I see that as s social workout. Sure your burning some calories but if you have real fitness goals you need to follow a plan and put in the work and it doesn't have to be hours and hours to be effective but it does have to be efficient. Good luck to ya. :)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Around one hour each time.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    What you are doing seems completely reasonable for general fitness.

I work out usually about 7-12 hours per week, but I often do 2-a-days or go on long hikes. Some of that is yoga though, so it's not all harsh. I just like working out and eventually plan to compete in a couple of things. I do CrossFit usually three days per week, so I never know what I am going to get with that, other than a ton of high intensity, fast!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It varies, really, but mostly it probably averages out to about 40 minutes 4 or 5 times a week. Sometimes longer when I have more time to spend, sometimes shorter when I have less.

I don't have a set routine. That might be a bad idea, but for me, a little bit of coloring outside the lines is better and more sustainable.
  • webbkr913
    webbkr913 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

IMO...Exercise doesn't play a huge role in actual weight loss. It is only an aid to losing...but not a necessary aid.

I've seen this opinion from a few people, and I don't understand it. I agree that exercise isn't necessary, but it is as important of an aid/tool as reduced calorie intake. To lose wieght, its

Calories in < Calories out

If you chose to operate on the left hand side of this inequality or the right hand side, anything you do to make this relationship happen plays the same role, i.e. a calorie burned is just as important as a calorie not eaten.

There are a number of personal factors that come into play that may lead someone to chose to eat less, exercise more, or some combination of the two (goals, time, health, fitness to name a few). I just can't buy that one is necessarily better for you when it comes to losing unwanted weight. I do beleive that exercising has addtional benefits, and that is why I chose that path.

I personally lost 25lbs last year, and I didn't change my diet at all. I just chose to burn a lot more calories than I was consuming (10-15 hrs/wk of 15-20 mph biking). I realized that over the winter, since I'm not going to be able to be as active, I have to work on the Calories in part as well. As a result, I've started to use MFP to track my intake. It has worked, but I expect to go back to eating what I want pretty soon, as I've already started to ramp up my longer weekend rides.