What type of runner are you?

Options
124»

Replies

• Daisyisacat
    Options
    Slow.

One of my jackalope coworkers today told me my pace isnt running and I should just stop.

I am planning his death in slow, painful ways

But otherwise, I love distance. It takes me a while to find my happy pace with my groove and I am a good kicker (late push in the race) so anything 10k-half marathon is my favorite. I about DIE in a hard effort 5k, too much too soon upfront!!!

Cross out the word "bad" in your profile picture and that would describe your coworker to a tee. If there is such a thing as cosmic karma he will sprain his ankle on his next run.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Proper sprinting in 5-10m bursts as part of sport eg tennis.
  • ed9cloud
    ed9cloud Posts: 3
    Options
    LSD - as my cross country coach used to say, Long Slow Distances.. I try to go at slow enough a pace that I feel the need to stop the least. Not sure if it's best for my physique though.. Probably should challenge myself more.
  • portermb2009
    portermb2009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It will challenge you more mentally then anything else.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I guess I would say long distance although a 5K isn't very long but I'm working my way up to go longer distances. I just did my PR by running 4.5 miles today. 13.1 is my short term goal.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Distance, for sure. 5k isn't very satisfying anymore, and 10k is still a bit of a challenge, but I'm really enjoying longer distances more than I thought I would!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Distance Runner, which is defined as 800m and up.

My favorite race distances are the mile and the marathon.

I run 50 to 90 miles per week.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    not so fast distance runner. Usually run about 10K, occasional long run anywhere between 10K - HM. Would like to eventually be able to run a marathon!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do in order to increase your endurance is speed intervals. Run at your regular pace for 5 mins then do a fast sprint for one minute.

I'm gradually increasing my speed and endurance but I still have days during which I can hardly muster 5 minutes on the treadmill. I guess I'm in that middle phase as well? I just ran at a pace which was comfortable and pushed myself on days I had more energy.

This is false. For a new runner, increasing distance at an easy pace (70-80% VO2max) is the best way to make gains. Once you have a decent aerobic base, then tempo and interval work can be added to sharpen skills. Starting speedwork too early won't do much except increase your chance of injury.

This!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Distance Runner, which is defined as 800m and up.

Thanks for the clarification!

Distance runner here. My favourite race is the half marathon, though planning for a full in the next year. When I'm not training for something specific I tend to fall into a 4-6 mile habit.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I long for distance over speed. Marathons and beyond call me the most. Though I want to run fast, it is only so I can qualify for the Boston Marathon. I want to run fast enough to stay ahead of any cut offs for a 50 miler or 100 miler. I believe I was built to run long distances on natural terrain. Everyday running or streak running is not for me. I believe in balance. That includes some variety and rest. Over a lifetime I have probably spent the most time running from 3 to 18 miles per run. Running two or more marathons per year defines me.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The type who enjoys his rest days as much as his 50Ks.