Replies

• calliegirl1973
    calliegirl1973 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it was not 2 months old.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The reply about the aunt being on another thread, complaining about an unsupportive niece was funny, but it got me thinking . . .

How WOULD we all answer the aunt's thread?

"I'm trying to eat healthy, but I live with family members who buy high-calorie foods and leave them around. Don't they understand how hard it is for me to make good choices when that stuff is calling my name? I gotta see the queso dip every time I open the frig."

My guess is we'd encourage the aunt to talk to her niece, and ask her not to keep such tempting foods in common areas. So it sounds like getting your own mini frig is a great idea.

But rather you could do this - talk to your aunt. In a heartfelt way, ask her how she feels about such food choices in her view. Does it bother her? Does she want only healthy options and boring "ingredients" in the frig? The two of you can work out a great system. Maybe she'll even pay for half the frig.

Best wishes
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    just break up
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    it was not 2 months old.

Sorry - I used to edit short stories. You're first line about Super Bowl, etc., is superfluous, thus my confusion.

Her overeating isn't your fault, btw. Carry on. :)
  • acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A lot of NOPE in here.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, in another thread, said aunt is complaining about her niece sabotaging her and not being supportive of her "journey."

Lol this. I'm sorry. Definitely get a mini fridge!

Pffft it's the aunt's problem - she can buy her own minifridge! :)

Exactly this.

Edited because I see you live in your aunt's house. Maaayyybe your mini fridge is in order. lol
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    And somewhere a little kid is having to eat rolls with icing instead of real cupcakes.

LMAO!!!!

Saw that post.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    nearly 2 months ago on super bowl sunday, I bought queso cheese dip. we ate it over a few days. my aunt had a little bit of it. Fast forward to last week. There was Queso in the fridge. yesterday there was a giant jar, almost all eaten. i had barely had any. Last night my family told me I was the one at fault for my aunt overeating it this past week. I just do not understand how I can be to blame just because I bought it nearly 2 months ago. It seems me buying it made her want it 2 months later and she didn't have enough will power not to buy it.

If we are going this route, I once had an ice cream about 10 years ago, now i want another one. my diet is blown.. It's not right to blame someone else for the overeating you are doing. We need to take responsibility for our own actions.

Since I live with my aunt, I am now not allowed to buy certain things because of her overeating. I can't buy it and use the family fridge because then she will want it. I am so disheartened this morning. it seems everything I like eating, makes her want to overeat. I am going to have to accept this is not my problem.

1. It's entirely your aunt's fault for eating it. Period.

2. If you want to keep your own food you have to get your own place. If you live with her you live under her rules.

Sorry but where does living with someone dictate that YOU cant eat something you like & have them blame you for their lack of willpower? That's not a 'm house my rules' thing... thats a dictatorship
  • Thatsmywrapgirl
    Options
    Your aunt is ridiculous. It's easier to place blame on other people rather than accept reality. It's not just the queso that has caused her problems! That's like saying one failed test is the reason you didn't graduate high school.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    nearly 2 months ago on super bowl sunday, I bought queso cheese dip. we ate it over a few days. my aunt had a little bit of it. Fast forward to last week. There was Queso in the fridge. yesterday there was a giant jar, almost all eaten. i had barely had any. Last night my family told me I was the one at fault for my aunt overeating it this past week. I just do not understand how I can be to blame just because I bought it nearly 2 months ago. It seems me buying it made her want it 2 months later and she didn't have enough will power not to buy it.

If we are going this route, I once had an ice cream about 10 years ago, now i want another one. my diet is blown.. It's not right to blame someone else for the overeating you are doing. We need to take responsibility for our own actions.

Since I live with my aunt, I am now not allowed to buy certain things because of her overeating. I can't buy it and use the family fridge because then she will want it. I am so disheartened this morning. it seems everything I like eating, makes her want to overeat. I am going to have to accept this is not my problem.

Sucks! But the best thing to do is get your own place OR your own mini fridge for your bedroom.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd say if it's "Mum's" house, it's up to mum to choose the rules :).

But yes, get yourself a fridge for yourself (maybe freecycle).

Much as many question, the reality is that many DO have serious issues with it. Whether it just be 'weakness' or more, is another matter. But then it's not very trendy to consider such things to be just 'weakness'.
  • monis01
    monis01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My husband used to blame me all the time..... He would get mad at me when I brought home flour tortillas. Finally I just cracked and gave him a piece of my mind!! No one is forcing food down his throat. We can eat everything in moderation. Just may need to work out a little harder..... Our son and I should not have to do without only because he's unhappy with HIS choices. He's the one that makes that final choice. Yes I want it... Or, NO it's not worth it...... =)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Wait, the cheese dip was still good after 2 months??? I would have thrown that out after a week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Last night my family told me I was the one at fault for my aunt overeating it this past week.

I'm guessing your family are avid MFP posters, because there are 8 billion threads a week about how someone's failure to get un-fat is someone else's fault.

This is like the flip side of every one of those threads...

:smokin:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My wife struggles hard with emotional eating and resisting her trigger foods.

I understand, I use to as well (trigger foods, not emotional eating). But I enjoy eating ice cream and other desserts here and there. I try and hide them from her, but a half gallon of ice cream is tough to put in the back of the fridge.

Now don't get me wrong, I adore my wife, and she is the best human being I've ever known. But when she tried to blame me for indulging in the sweets because I bought them in the house, I was having zero of that talk. I told her that I understand her difficulty, but that I am not to blame, that she is responsible for building up her own resolve, and reminded her that I absolutely have tried to keep certain foods out of her sight. I also refreshed her on the fact that that I never blamed her for my issues during the years where she was bringing in tons of sweets, knowing that I had very serious trouble managing a sweets issue that helped me pack on over 100 lbs. She just sees me as a stronger person, but I had to remind her that I wasn't always so strong, that it's taken many years of trial, error, and lots of failure to get to the point I am now where no food controls me.

I love my wife. I'll try, within reason, to keep food away from her that is an issue. But I have not, do not, and will not accept blame for another grown adult's food choices.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I used to edit short stories. You're first line about Super Bowl, etc., is superfluous, thus my confusion.

As I see it, here is the sequence of events:

1. OP buys queso dip for the Super Bowl. The dip is eaten up.

2. Aunt buys giant container of queso dip herself, 2 months later, and binges on it.

3. OP is blamed for having bought queso dip 2 months earlier, thus somehow "priming" her aunt for the binge.

OP, could you clarify whether that's what happened? Who bought the giant container of queso most recently?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm craving chips and queso now. Thanks MFP
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

As I see it, here is the sequence of events:

1. OP buys queso dip for the Super Bowl. The dip is eaten up.

2. Aunt buys giant container of queso dip herself, 2 months later, and binges on it.

3. OP is blamed for having bought queso dip 2 months earlier, thus somehow "priming" her aunt for the binge.

OP, could you clarify whether that's what happened? Who bought the giant container of queso most recently?

From the OP:
    she didn't have enough will power not to buy it.

So, from what I gather, the aunt bought it, ate it, and it's the OP's fault.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, in another thread, said aunt is complaining about her niece sabotaging her and not being supportive of her "journey."
    LOL
    I so hate that term "journey" :)
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    POST IT NOTES! They are magic. Put post-its with your name on them on any 'special food' you bought just for yourself. Then if she eats it and has a winge, just come back at her about how you bought that especially for your own purposes and how rude it was for her to take it in the first place. It won't be 'universal food' you can get blamed for anymore. It's yours. And if she complains that 'just seeing it there was sooooo hard to resist, she just had to go and buy some for herself' then act amazed and ask how she manages to survive living in the real world; with all the tv ads, billboards, posters, radio commercials, store fronts and food shops in general she's surrounded with, that are constantly shoving high-fat high-sugar temptations at her.

Seriously; I think you need to snap and lose your *kitten* at her at least once, she needs to start taking some freakin' responsibility and leaving you alone! :p