Is it supposed to be this hard?

Options
So I'm pretty out of shape. Was basically sedentary for a couple years and was never very active to begin with. I brought my old bike back with me from break and holy crap, I was exhausted after 10 minutes. My legs burned like fire and going even slightly uphill was torture. By the time I finished I was panting and my legs felt like noodles. Is it normal for it to be this hard?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Tunastamper,

If you choose to exercise it can be difficult if you are out of shape. I would suggest not pushing yourself really hard at first. I would suggest riding your bike on level terrain for awhile for short distances and work up to those long hill rides you want to take. Be patient, tolerant, and kind to yourself.
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you could always just start with walking but ya going back to things you are not used to any more sucks. I used to bench 425 when i was 20, Came back in to the gym 15 years later and having to do girly pushups just to be able to do more than 3 at a time.....ya it sucks
  • Heather737
    Heather737 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can feel so hard. But every time you finish you can say "Damn, I did that!" and that feeling is worth the pain. And each time you do a little bit more and before you know it a few months go by and you look back and are amazed at how far you've come.
  • massromanticfool
    massromanticfool Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried Couch to 5k, last May, I was so sore after the first day that I couldn't sit at my desk without it hurting. I kept at it and got to week 5 before a month-long trip derailed me, but I kept working out even afterwards. It's totally normal to be really sore when you've been sedentary for awhile. Just let your body rest adequately between workouts so you don't hurt yourself, and know that it'll get easier with every workout you do. :)
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you experienced can be normal for one who is new to exercise. The good news is that if you stay consistent you will most likely make quick progress. Try to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overdoing it, otherwise you may get frustrated and quit. Walking is great too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say identity about a mile walk and then walk it for a bit and then slow jog, and then walk some more ..eventually you will be able to run the whole t hint…then identify two miles and do the same ..before you know it you wil lbe running three miles with no problem…you could do the same with your bike …

as the work outs start getting easier you can add in some strength training or something like that..

In the meantime, you could pick up a copy of starting strength and/or new rules of lifting which will give you a food foundation for when you transition to lifting…(if you decide to)
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    At first...Probably yes....3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years...probably not so much. Keep a work out journal....and record it in weekly....you will start seeing huge changes not only physically but overall your stamina and strength will grow and you will laugh at that first journal entry. The worse thing you do is quit....make small goals for yourself and get support from family/friends that can continue to encourage you! You will sore after each new exercise...don't quit...keep going!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Heck, I could run a 5K and the first time I got my bike out I only made it around 4 blocks so imo you did pretty darn awesome! You will be sore tomorrow but just keep at it because it does get easier with time. You just need to learn how much to push and when it's too much.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It can feel so hard. But every time you finish you can say "Damn, I did that!" and that feeling is worth the pain. And each time you do a little bit more and before you know it a few months go by and you look back and are amazed at how far you've come.

^^^THIS!!! 3 months ago I could barely run for 30 seconds straight....today I ran 3 miles outside and I feel so proud!!! My advice is start small and stick with it and you can do anything!!!! Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When I started running I could barely run for 30 seconds at a time without dying. I would run for 30 seconds, walk for five mins, and so on. At first I was extremely frustrated and even embarrassed. My sister, who is a personal trainer, gave me some of the best advice I ever received and that is: NEVER shame yourself for where you are at. JUST DO WHAT YOU CAN. And every now and again, push yourself a little more. Not too hard, just enough to get you to the next step, then the next level.

Now, I run about 6.6-6.8mph for 35-40 minutes. :) A 5K is nothing to me. Can I do a 10K yet? NO WAY. But I'm working on it. :D I'll get there, just like you.

Be patient with yourself and banish that shame. There is NO shame in the fact that you got ON your bike and RODE. You still went faster and further than the millions of chumps sitting on the couch tonight. Right?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    yes, yes it is. But you get better. Normally quickly at first. - one block, two blocks. One km. One mile. 2 miles. etc.

And for what is worth, cycling is much easier (if properly set up) than jogging or even walking - on the joints. Get a good saddle and good cycling shorts. They make a world of difference.
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal. Same thing happened to me too. I had not ridden for years and the first time I got on my bike after just a few minutes my thighs killed me. It was windy that day so I thought it was the wind. Next time I tried not as windy but it was still a killer. Each time though I got farther and farther before the pain until no pain. So keep at it. It will go away.

I had also just started working out too but even so it was still very painful. I would guess that it was a completely different set of muscles being used than walking or running.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did when I realized I weighed almost 300lbs was buy a bike. I made it two blocks in the heat of a summer day and then I PUKED...in front of a family with small children in the park and several of my fitter friends. 4 months later in the early autumn I rode 24 miles and the ride included some massive hills. One of the proudest days of my life. The great thing about starting out with not so great results is the awesome story it makes when you get to somewhat successful and people are saying "You are crazy! No way I could bike that far."
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Anything worth doing takes a lot of effort.
  • newgmartin
    newgmartin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a month in to another reboot, and yes, your experience sounds pretty much like my first week or so. I'm doing some things differently than I ever have before, and have found that this past month has gone *exceptionally* well, without a lot of angst, and with a lot of progress, so I'll share. Take it with a grain of salt, of course, but it has worked for me.

The biggest thing I did, the foundation of everything, was to pick something that I could stand to do for 15 minutes every day. I am/was mostly sedentary, and am in my late 40's. The other thing was that I was going to use what resources I already have. Now, I happen to have a nice elliptical that's been doubling as a coat hanger for a few years, so I picked that as my daily, no matter what, exercise. This particular one works for me because I have the equipment already, and I don't have to leave the house to do the exercise. Hell, I don't even have to change out of my pajamas. Being an introvert, those two points are key to sustainability, I really hate exercising in general, and I super hate having to get out of my comfort zone to do something I hate :-)

15 minutes is not a lot of time. BUT - when you have been doing 0 minutes, it's a lot. So, I talked back to the hatey voice that was mocking me for being lame, and stuck to my 15 minutes. The first few days were MURDER. But I kept telling myself to just get through the 15 minutes, slowly if needed, but just do. the. time.

I noticed that once I got into the groove of exercising first thing in the AM, it started getting easier. I also tricked myself into doing it by making the rule that I am not allowed on Facebook, Twitter, Email, and news sites unless I have my tablet with me on the elliptical and I'm in motion. It works very well to keep me focused on something other than my movements and the time. As things have progressed, I've upped the level of effort, naturally, and it's having a great effect on my endurance, and I'm also LOVING the extra calorie allowance. I must note here that MFP's calories given for that exercise are much higher than the machine says, so I go by the machine. I'm currently seeing 1.5-2lbs lost per week, not feeling food deprived, sleeping better and less muscle aches than before. Last go round with just cutting calories only saw.5 lbs every couple of weeks, and MUCH MISERY and discomfort.

TL;DR: set a small, very achievable goal that you will do every day, come hell or high water. Pick something you can't talk yourself out of, and keep it small enough to enable you to push through and not flake out.

Hope that helps :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    well, you might want to get your biked tuned up and also read online about how to properly ride it and use the gears. there is a way to use it while maximizing your efficiency and still getting a good work out.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just one other thing though . . . . did you check the air pressure in your bike tires? If they are low it would make it even more difficult.
    Just a thought.
  • Mamacass13
    Mamacass13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If it were easy you'd be doing it all the time! I struggle in the beginning every time! Hoping this is my LAST beginning :) Kudos for getting it started.
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Anything worth doing takes a lot of effort.

Awesome quote! I definitely feel her on the difficult part. The question is after working out isn't killing you anymore, how do you peel off the weight with out starving? do you have to be a nutritionist to get progress
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I started running I could barely run for 30 seconds at a time without dying. I would run for 30 seconds, walk for five mins, and so on. At first I was extremely frustrated and even embarrassed. My sister, who is a personal trainer, gave me some of the best advice I ever received and that is: NEVER shame yourself for where you are at. JUST DO WHAT YOU CAN. And every now and again, push yourself a little more. Not too hard, just enough to get you to the next step, then the next level.

Now, I run about 6.6-6.8mph for 35-40 minutes. :) A 5K is nothing to me. Can I do a 10K yet? NO WAY. But I'm working on it. :D I'll get there, just like you.

Be patient with yourself and banish that shame. There is NO shame in the fact that you got ON your bike and RODE. You still went faster and further than the millions of chumps sitting on the couch tonight. Right?

Ditto!!