Replies

• freezerburnedrn
    freezerburnedrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ditto, ditto!! ;)
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ... Is it normal for it to be this hard?

Yes, otherwise everyone would do it!

It gets easier over time, you just have to take it slowly and stick with it :happy:
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes and it really does get easier the better in shape you are.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Anything worth doing takes a lot of effort.

Awesome quote! I definitely feel her on the difficult part. The question is after working out isn't killing you anymore, how do you peel off the weight with out starving? do you have to be a nutritionist to get progress

To that I say read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Start in gradually. Never give up. Never give in.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are out of shape. So start slow; target walking 20 mins a day 5-6 times a week. When you get there set your next goal. Cardio goes first, but it comes back first. Strength takes longer to build, but it lasts longer. Above all never give up. The only bad workout is the one you didn't do.....
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes it is going to be hard. Stick with it though, do what you can no matter how little and each time try to push yourself a little more and a little more. You will be surprised how quick it will take for it to start getting "easy".
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So I'm pretty out of shape. Was basically sedentary for a couple years and was never very active to begin with. I brought my old bike back with me from break and holy crap, I was exhausted after 10 minutes. My legs burned like fire and going even slightly uphill was torture. By the time I finished I was panting and my legs felt like noodles. Is it normal for it to be this hard?

That's OK! Be proud that you got your bike out and started! One day at a time, one minute or one second at a time. You can do it. Before you know it will get easier. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck!
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to be a ballet dancer and was not only fit, but could do pretty amazing things with my body. After college and entering the working world I stopped exercising almost entirely and gained 20lbs. I am now working on losing the weight and getting back in to shape, but man was it hard to realize that my body just can't do what it used to.

Yoga has actually really helped me with this- one of the guiding principles of every practice is to embrace what your body can do for you in that day, and in that moment. It isn't about perfecting anything or being the best (which for me, with my background, is a hard thing to shake). That isn't to say I am not working on increasing my fitness level, but I am trying to reprogram my way of thinking as well- respecting my body for both it's strengths and it's limitations, and using that as a starting point to seek wellness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    For anyone out of condition and sedentary, it's going to be challenging and even more so if you're quite overweight. Comes with the territory.
    But the good news is that the body adapts to loads quite quickly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    yes its normal. you are working muscles you haven't worked in a long time. just take work out in small windows. it gets easier, too easy eventually. I started out walking and was sweating like a pig the first thirty minutes. now it takes almost two hours to get that same sweat up. just keep at it. and take it easy at first to ease yourself into it. good for you to get back on your bike. I would love to have a bike. getting one soon