weighted running

Options
So I love to run. Makes my brain feel clear. I am just thinking I could be toning my arms a bit too if I wear my weight bands on my wrists while I run. My arms are... Well, lets be honest, flailing about and I figure they could be working harder... Is there any harm?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depends. A weight that "does no harm" will provide no benefit and a weight heavy enough to to be of benefit will negatively affect running and is likely to be more harmful. Runners have been trying various types of hand weights for at least 40 years, with little benefit. The research doesn't support the idea either. Best to just spend a few minutes lifting weights.
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    NEVER do weighted running, It messes up your form and the shockwaves of you coming down + the additional weights WILL cause you to get injuries for sure. Just dont.
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone your arms just do bicep curls and tricep exercises. But since you then get muscular arms (not big, muscular, because women can't get big unless you inject testosterone) you need to also workout your shoulders, because otherwise you'll get something called muscular imbalance. And because you train shoulders you need to train chest as well, which means back as well and in turn, also legs. You get the point.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No to this. I'm not sure what you mean by "toning" but I'm pretty sure you'd get better results with a calorie deficit and hitting the weights and isolating areas.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I run and I lift heavy...but I keep them seperate. Lifting heavy has also really improved my running as my legs are so much stronger now from squats and deadlifts that they just carry me wherever I choose to go!! Practically bionic ;) I suggest you have a look at starting a lifting programme to work alongside your running regime. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, I use the phone app so it's really easy. I invested in a barbell and weights for home but if you're a member of a gym you can do the workout there :)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    do you mean like this?

tumblr_mnmek10fNQ1rb2b3po1_400.gif

spivey-prancercise-o.gif

I think that only works with the proper outfit...

but honestly though, I'm with the others. Better keep things seperate
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    do you mean like this?

tumblr_mnmek10fNQ1rb2b3po1_400.gif

spivey-prancercise-o.gif

I think that only works with the proper outfit...

but honestly though, I'm with the others. Better keep things seperate

Thank you for the disturbing images! :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP.......pretty much what the others have said, running with weights (hand held, ankle etc) is one of those things that appears to be a good idea but isn't. Just add strength training to your routine.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is why I love you guys. Great advice and disturbing images... What more could a girl ask for?

I love the weights, I love running. I will continue to do both separately.

Thanks everyone x

:heart:
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You can do weighted carries to kill two birds with one stone, you won't want to run though, walking briskly is sufficient. Farmers Walks, Sandbag Carries, Stone Carries, etc.... It really doesn't matter how you do it, just pick up something that weighs at least half of what you do and walk down the street with it. Sometimes I'll do a light stone (50% bodyweight) and carry it for a hundred yards and I'll swap that up with a heavy sandbag or a keg filled with sand for shorter distances.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You can do weighted carries to kill two birds with one stone, you won't want to run though, walking briskly is sufficient. Farmers Walks, Sandbag Carries, Stone Carries, etc.... It really doesn't matter how you do it, just pick up something that weighs at least half of what you do and walk down the street with it. Sometimes I'll do a light stone (50% bodyweight) and carry it for a hundred yards and I'll swap that up with a heavy sandbag or a keg filled with sand for shorter distances.

^This. Strapping some "Barbie" weights on your wrist will do nothing for your arms and will screw up your running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My arms are... Well, lets be honest, flailing about and I figure they could be working harder.

That's more about your form than anything else then :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It'll screw up your arms too. In the 80's, it was a thing to strap on ankle and wrist weights to go jogging. It causes injury.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It'll screw up your arms too. In the 80's, it was a thing to strap on ankle and wrist weights to go jogging. It causes injury.

Yep, most of those people who did much running with the "heavy hands" ended up with injuries, including back injuries!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    NEVER do weighted running, It messes up your form and the shockwaves of you coming down + the additional weights WILL cause you to get injuries for sure. Just dont.

This ^^^^^^^^ times 10
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump in just because this has been something that I've wondered about for a while.

I definitely understand the drawbacks as they have been listed so far, but one has to wonder, soldiers run or sprint with heavy freaking gear don't they? When I think of warriors in medieval warfare, they were probably doing the equivalent of short distance runs or sprints while either wearing the armor or carrying it on their back. Ultra marathon types have to carry some gear when races take a whole day or even multiple days too right? Is it a more to the point then, that there is just a better way to provide yourself that type of conditioning, or is there actually something to training your body to run with additional weights?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump in just because this has been something that I've wondered about for a while.

I definitely understand the drawbacks as they have been listed so far, but one has to wonder, soldiers run or sprint with heavy freaking gear don't they? When I think of warriors in medieval warfare, they were probably doing the equivalent of short distance runs or sprints while either wearing the armor or carrying it on their back. Ultra marathon types have to carry some gear when races take a whole day or even multiple days too right? Is it a more to the point then, that there is just a better way to provide yourself that type of conditioning, or is there actually something to training your body to run with additional weights?

Carrying something on your back is much different than strapping weights to your arms or legs. The physics are much different.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

According to credible walk/jog/run sites that I have visited they all tell you it can lead to injury. The only site that I researched that encouraged a gradual increase in weight was a hiking program. Start with an empty backpack and gradually build up to the expected weight that you will be carrying during a hike.

I think that the examples that you gave...especially soldiers carrying gear...that weight is evenly distributed over the entire body...not just the arms and ankles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... soldiers run or sprint with heavy freaking gear don't they?

Body armour, combat helmet, running in boots, daysac with kit and spare ammunition, pouches on the plate carrier, two personal weapon systems (pistol and rifle) etc

Yes they're heavy, so in practice you end up not moving as quickly. The Commando tests for example are a 30 miler in 8 hours carrying a 40lb load plus weapon. That puts the pace into relief, they're not going as fast, although the terrain on Dartmoor is pretty grim and not really suited to moving fast anyway.

It's worth noting that the attrition rate in the military is quite high, lots of leg and back injuries.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

According to credible walk/jog/run sites that I have visited they all tell you it can lead to injury. The only site that I researched that encouraged a gradual increase in weight was a hiking program. Start with an empty backpack and gradually build up to the expected weight that you will be carrying during a hike.

I think that the examples that you gave...especially soldiers carrying gear...that weight is evenly distributed over the entire body...not just the arms and ankles.

That approach makes a lot of sense. Hiking is on my agenda starting sometime next month, so I might just start that. Thanks for the insight.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options