weighted running

Options

Replies

• MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

It's worth noting that the attrition rate in the military is quite high, lots of leg and back injuries.

noteworthy, absolutely agreed. this goes right back to the aforementioned training related injuries.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

That approach makes a lot of sense. Hiking is on my agenda starting sometime next month, so I might just start that. Thanks for the insight.

According to credible walk/jog/run sites that I have visited they all tell you it can lead to injury. The only site that I researched that encouraged a gradual increase in weight was a hiking program. Start with an empty backpack and gradually build up to the expected weight that you will be carrying during a hike.

I think that the examples that you gave...especially soldiers carrying gear...that weight is evenly distributed over the entire body...not just the arms and ankles.

Your welcome. Here are a couple of sites that I enjoyed reading...

http://hikingdude.com/default.php

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise/how-to-begin-walking-for-fitness7.htm

I started doing some hiking a few weeks ago in order to vary my walking. Mostly local parks around my neighborhood. I am going on a short one this afternoon for about two hours. I am fortunate enough to have a few within a mile or two.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump in just because this has been something that I've wondered about for a while.

I definitely understand the drawbacks as they have been listed so far, but one has to wonder, soldiers run or sprint with heavy freaking gear don't they? When I think of warriors in medieval warfare, they were probably doing the equivalent of short distance runs or sprints while either wearing the armor or carrying it on their back. Ultra marathon types have to carry some gear when races take a whole day or even multiple days too right? Is it a more to the point then, that there is just a better way to provide yourself that type of conditioning, or is there actually something to training your body to run with additional weights?

Actually Roman soldiers were expected to be able to run about 25 miles a day averaging a 20 minute mile and carrying 65 pounds of gear. That's different than weighting the ends of a pendulum that attaches to a joint.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Actually Roman soldiers were expected to be able to run about 25 miles a day averaging a 20 minute mile and carrying 65 pounds of gear. That's different than weighting the ends of a pendulum that attaches to a joint.

that correlates to some of the posts above; the commando training regime along with the attrition rate, and the idea of carrying the weight on your back instead of on your joints.

On the other hand, that would be a pretty cool achievement to say you can hack it like a roman soldier.
  • likitisplit
    Options

that correlates to some of the posts above; the commando training regime along with the attrition rate, and the idea of carrying the weight on your back instead of on your joints.

On the other hand, that would be a pretty cool achievement to say you can hack it like a roman soldier.

It's interesting how consistent people have been over the centuries about certain modes of training. Those Roman guys were pretty short too.

Yeah. I'd LOVE to be able to meet that physical standard. Maybe someday?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump in just because this has been something that I've wondered about for a while.

I definitely understand the drawbacks as they have been listed so far, but one has to wonder, soldiers run or sprint with heavy freaking gear don't they? When I think of warriors in medieval warfare, they were probably doing the equivalent of short distance runs or sprints while either wearing the armor or carrying it on their back. Ultra marathon types have to carry some gear when races take a whole day or even multiple days too right? Is it a more to the point then, that there is just a better way to provide yourself that type of conditioning, or is there actually something to training your body to run with additional weights?

and it's done out of necessity not as a training aid............a soldier needs his or her combat gear and has to be able to move quickly with it on, an ultra-marathoner needs to carry fluids and nutrition

The additional risk of injury far outweighs the training benefit.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    So I love to run. Makes my brain feel clear. I am just thinking I could be toning my arms a bit too if I wear my weight bands on my wrists while I run. My arms are... Well, lets be honest, flailing about and I figure they could be working harder... Is there any harm?

My arms are actually working kinda hard, depending on how fast I am running. You should be using them to help you run better. :smile:

http://www.runaddicts.net/tips-tricks/the-importance-of-a-proper-arm-swing
  • MagJam2004
    Options

and it's done out of necessity not as a training aid............a soldier needs his or her combat gear and has to be able to move quickly with it on, an ultra-marathoner needs to carry fluids and nutrition

That begs the confusion then, and I apologize if I've misunderstood the comment, but how then does someone condition themselves or prepare themselves for running with weight, if they don't ever run with weight? I don't want to fall into a semantic trap between conditioning and training, but if your end goal was to be able to run with certain gear shouldn't you train in that fashion? Or if you aspired to run some long distance, to accustom your body to handle the rigors of a pack of supplies? Allow me to stress if it is not abundantly clear, I have very little idea outside of what would seem logical. I am not a trained or conditioned individual, though I would like to be.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Sure, you can make your body stronger by packing - on your back or waist, but never by swinging stuff around using your arms. Runners also train with heavier shoes than the ones they race in. Plus there is that whole race weight thing...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So I love to run. Makes my brain feel clear. I am just thinking I could be toning my arms a bit too if I wear my weight bands on my wrists while I run. My arms are... Well, lets be honest, flailing about and I figure they could be working harder... Is there any harm?

My arms are actually working kinda hard, depending on how fast I am running. You should be using them to help you run better. :smile:

http://www.runaddicts.net/tips-tricks/the-importance-of-a-proper-arm-swing

Good point. Thanks for that!
  • MagJam2004
    Options

Runners also train with heavier shoes than the ones they race in.

This part blew me away. Makes crazy sense.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think that's just that you couldn't handle 100 miles a week in racing flats.
  • jeralank
    jeralank Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    do you mean like this?

tumblr_mnmek10fNQ1rb2b3po1_400.gif

spivey-prancercise-o.gif

I think that only works with the proper outfit...

but honestly though, I'm with the others. Better keep things seperate

Brilliant!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That begs the confusion then, and I apologize if I've misunderstood the comment, but how then does someone condition themselves or prepare themselves for running with weight, if they don't ever run with weight?

Train hard, fight easy

One trains with weight because one has to, so in basic trainees start in phys kit and running shoes, work up to combats and boots, the start to load up with fighting order, then marching order. Speeds decrease as loads increase, and in a contact one divests load.

Carrying the weapon system is also quite controlled, as it has to remain under positive control throughout; both hands on the weapon, unless one is in contact and moving in which case it's lifted to point vertically upwards in the right hand, but that's a move in terms of tens of metres.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    do you mean like this?

spivey-prancercise-o.gif

Brilliant!!!

Yay for Prancercise! If you never did when this was a meme, you should really listen to this lady talk about the workout she has developed.

On topic, racers train in regular shoes and race in flats because 1) flats have no cushioning - not so nice for long runs and 2)it's a mental and physical lift to feel "lighter" on race day. Much the same as swimmers shave down before a big meet - the feeling of sleekness in the water gives a much stronger mental advantage than the physical advantage you get of less drag.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Train hard, fight easy

One trains with weight because one has to, so in basic trainees start in phys kit and running shoes, work up to combats and boots, the start to load up with fighting order, then marching order. Speeds decrease as loads increase, and in a contact one divests load.

Carrying the weapon system is also quite controlled, as it has to remain under positive control throughout; both hands on the weapon, unless one is in contact and moving in which case it's lifted to point vertically upwards in the right hand, but that's a move in terms of tens of metres.

awesome input, thank you very much.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    do you mean like this?

spivey-prancercise-o.gif

no matter how many times I see it, it still cracks me up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

That begs the confusion then, and I apologize if I've misunderstood the comment, but how then does someone condition themselves or prepare themselves for running with weight, if they don't ever run with weight? I don't want to fall into a semantic trap between conditioning and training, but if your end goal was to be able to run with certain gear shouldn't you train in that fashion? Or if you aspired to run some long distance, to accustom your body to handle the rigors of a pack of supplies? Allow me to stress if it is not abundantly clear, I have very little idea outside of what would seem logical. I am not a trained or conditioned individual, though I would like to be.

If running with the extra weight, as in a fully equipped soldier, was the goal then you're right - you would need to train with progressively heavier loads. Just be aware of the risks that this poses and build up gradually.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Only weighted running you need to do is with full gear during Zombie Apocalypse. Other than that, no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition