Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track then!
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I notice you eat lots of fruits like bananas and apples - maybe consider adding almond butter to your fruits - quick way to add delicious protein/calories without adding a full meal to your regimen
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I notice you eat lots of fruits like bananas and apples - maybe consider adding almond butter to your fruits - quick way to add delicious protein/calories without adding a full meal to your regimen

I have been adding on a tablespoon of peanut butter to snacks when I have fruits. That's been helping. I feel so full literally all the time right now (which I suppose can be a good thing) which is making me feel guilty...like I am eating too much. That's more of my issue right now. I think it will just require me to adjust my mindset or something.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Just curious...do you think my dining hall displays accurate calorie counts? They put them up and I log them in my journal (they use some caterer whose recipes are already logged in here). I assume when they say "1 each" for a portion or "3oz" of meat that one of the thing on the platter IS 3oz or 1 serving (steak and pork is thin-about thickness of a checkbook and size of my palm around-meanwhile chicken is same size-my palm-but definitely thicker-I would say it is closer to a deck of cards in thickness or slightly bigger). I saw also that the ladles have "4oz" on them so I know I am pretty accurately putting in veggies/starches...with probably some kind of error rate with scooping. But I still don't know whether the calorie counts for the foods are accurate. Do you think they accurately display calories or just post something up there for those of us that actually are conscious about that stuff?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Just curious...do you think my dining hall displays accurate calorie counts? They put them up and I log them in my journal (they use some caterer whose recipes are already logged in here). I assume when they say "1 each" for a portion or "3oz" of meat that one of the thing on the platter IS 3oz or 1 serving (steak and pork is thin-about thickness of a checkbook and size of my palm around-meanwhile chicken is same size-my palm-but definitely thicker-I would say it is closer to a deck of cards in thickness or slightly bigger). I saw also that the ladles have "4oz" on them so I know I am pretty accurately putting in veggies/starches...with probably some kind of error rate with scooping. But I still don't know whether the calorie counts for the foods are accurate. Do you think they accurately display calories or just post something up there for those of us that actually are conscious about that stuff?

No way to tell, unless you get a food scale and weight it.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Could you start by adding in a little more fat? Like, instead of steaming those veggies, pan fry them? Make hummus at home so it's not as much sodium and have carrots and hummus as a snack?
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh, my bad. I assumed you were cooking for yourself. Sorry.
  • ANGIE181062
    ANGIE181062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All I can say is slightly increase calories until you stop losing weight x
  • dpr73
    Options

That's not realistic. Not that it matters much...this is the food I've been eating since the beginning of my weight loss, so I know how much will cause me to lose weight and can increase from there just a bit. But I was just curious whether you guys thought I could trust their posted servings.
  • deksgrl
    Options

That's not realistic. Not that it matters much...this is the food I've been eating since the beginning of my weight loss, so I know how much will cause me to lose weight and can increase from there just a bit. But I was just curious whether you guys thought I could trust their posted servings.

Since it has been working and you had the expected amount of weight loss while logging their posted servings, then I would say they are pretty close.
  • dpr73
    Options

Since it has been working and you had the expected amount of weight loss while logging their posted servings, then I would say they are pretty close.

Yes. I seem to have a TDEE of about 2250 (which MFP estimates for me, if I live a lightly active lifestyle). I lost about .6-.8 last week averaging around 1950 calories based on what I logged so it seems to be accurate. But either way, I guess it won't matter much as I still needed to increase either way.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Yes. I seem to have a TDEE of about 2250 (which MFP estimates for me, if I live a lightly active lifestyle). I lost about .6-.8 last week averaging around 1950 calories based on what I logged so it seems to be accurate. But either way, I guess it won't matter much as I still needed to increase either way.

MFP doesn't calculate TDEE, it calculates NEAT (doesn't include exercise). With exercise, your TDEE is up to 2500.
  • dpr73
    Options

MFP doesn't calculate TDEE, it calculates NEAT (doesn't include exercise). With exercise, your TDEE is up to 2500.

I'm logging an average of 2100 this week. I had a high sodium day yesterday and was up at 136.4 today (about .8 higher than tuesday). If my weight ends up trending down on my official weigh in day (monday) then I will up again. I just want to increase slowly and steadily.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I think you are being a bit too cautious. Jumping from 2100 - 2400 or 2500 is not that large of a jump.
  • dpr73
    Options
    I think you are being a bit too cautious. Jumping from 2100 - 2400 or 2500 is not that large of a jump.

My reasoning is that one week of being below isn't going to make me lose too much more, but I will be THAT much more sure that 2400-2500 is my right range. If I maintain through the week and don't lose, then maybe I have some logging errors that need to be accounted for.
    Remember my dinner is pretty much estimated (can't weigh meat, my starch and veggie are estimated using ladles that have 4oz listed on their handles).
  • deksgrl
    Options
    But the numbers have proven with your weight loss that your estimates are pretty accurate. Even if your estimates were actually +200 you would gain less than half a pound.
  • dpr73
    Options
    But the numbers have proven with your weight loss that your estimates are pretty accurate. Even if your estimates were actually +200 you would gain less than half a pound.

These are my latest data and results: I averaged 1949 last week (according to my MFP inputs). I went from 136.4 to 135.8 from last monday to this monday. .6*3500=2100. 2100/7= 300 calories. So then I should be hitting about 2250. Hitting around 2150 this week (according to MFP inputs) should close the gap enough, correct?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are still losing weight suggests that you are estimating low on calories. Eat more dessert, problem solved.

Agree ^^
    To me its simple math. If you are losing weight you need to eat more calories. Up your calories by 200 a day and see what happens. Adjust from there...and you are going on a weekly weight I hope as there are always daily fluctuations.
  • dpr73
    Options
    The fact that you are still losing weight suggests that you are estimating low on calories. Eat more dessert, problem solved.

Agree ^^
    To me its simple math. If you are losing weight you need to eat more calories. Up your calories by 200 a day and see what happens. Adjust from there...and you are going on a weekly weight I hope as there are always daily fluctuations.
    Yes. I weight everyday but only take the weight every monday, which is done at the same time every time. I lost .6 last week so I upped from the 1949 average I had last week to 2150 average all this week.
  • deksgrl
    Options

These are my latest data and results: I averaged 1949 last week (according to my MFP inputs). I went from 136.4 to 135.8 from last monday to this monday. .6*3500=2100. 2100/7= 300 calories. So then I should be hitting about 2250. Hitting around 2150 this week (according to MFP inputs) should close the gap enough, correct?

You are caught up in the minutae. Fact is, you are underweight and are going to have to GAIN for health. But you have an irrational fear around gaining, so you have convinced yourself that just getting to maintenance will be good enough, yet you cannot bring yourself to even try to eat at maintenance, fearing the numbers are wrong. The numbers are not wrong. Your TDEE is 2300-2500 based on your numbers over the time you lost weight. During the time you lost weight, you had the same factors going on with estimating some of your food.