Increasing Calories But Still Losing Weight

Options
123457»

Replies

• dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    But the numbers have proven with your weight loss that your estimates are pretty accurate. Even if your estimates were actually +200 you would gain less than half a pound.

These are my latest data and results: I averaged 1949 last week (according to my MFP inputs). I went from 136.4 to 135.8 from last monday to this monday. .6*3500=2100. 2100/7= 300 calories. So then I should be hitting about 2250. Hitting around 2150 this week (according to MFP inputs) should close the gap enough, correct?

You are caught up in the minutae. Fact is, you are underweight and are going to have to GAIN for health. But you have an irrational fear around gaining, so you have convinced yourself that just getting to maintenance will be good enough, yet you cannot bring yourself to even try to eat at maintenance, fearing the numbers are wrong. The numbers are not wrong. Your TDEE is 2300-2500 based on your numbers over the time you lost weight. During the time you lost weight, you had the same factors going on with estimating some of your food.

I am not underweight. I am perfectly within the BMI calculator and I actually am pleased with my appearance- I have a good amount of muscle tone and am performing well in the gym. I just want to close the gap right now and hit maintenance. And even my nutritionist is saying a slow increase is smart and thinks that 2250 is probably my maintenance level. I am not sure why my TDEE MUST be at 2500? My numbers don't seem to be bearing that out at all, they seem to illustrate something close to 2250.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    From page 3:

QUOTE:

So with all the suggestions, the consensus is that I increase calories over the course of my week. Does any one have a recommended amount that I should shoot for for the rest of this week?

QUOTE:
    The problem here is you don't have any idea what your TDEE is. Have you used an online calculator to estimate TDEE? I would start there. If it is a lot higher than what you have been eating then add just a couple of hundred calories per week until you get up to the TDEE level. I'm guessing that it is a lot higher, since you are a young, active male, and you said you need to go UP to get to 1800. I'm a much older and less active woman and I eat 1800 to lose weight, your TDEE should be well over 2000 calories as a young man.

QUOTE:
    All TDEE Calculators put me at around 2300-2500 calories. But the weird thing is, I have only been losing 1-1.5lbs a week eating around 1800 calories so I don't really get how the math is working out to put me at 2300...I seem to be lower right?

QUOTE:
    The math is perfect for 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. 2300-500 = 1800. 2500-750=1750. So there you go, eat 2300 to 2500 and you will maintain your weight.
  • Dsanders460
    Dsanders460 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that before when you were not eating breakfast and sometimes skipping lunch that your body was in starvation mode. It thought that there were not enough calories to go around so your metabolism was WAY slow. Now that you are eating frequently and are MUCH more active, you metabolism is through the roof (comparatively for sure). So you are going to burn WAY more calories. Plus I am sure that your snacking choices now are ALOT healthier than they used to be! Keep adding in a few more calories at a time until you balance out. If you normally have fruit or veggies as a snack, add some string cheese or a glass of milk to that! Milk and cheese can pack a big punch calorie wise in a small package, plus they are great sources of protein and calcium. Great job on your weight loss and look at it this way, the hard part is behind you! You have done the REALLY hard part, comparatively, this is going to be easy, it will just take some time to figure out what works for you!
  • dpr73
    Options
    From page 3:

QUOTE:

So with all the suggestions, the consensus is that I increase calories over the course of my week. Does any one have a recommended amount that I should shoot for for the rest of this week?

QUOTE:
    The problem here is you don't have any idea what your TDEE is. Have you used an online calculator to estimate TDEE? I would start there. If it is a lot higher than what you have been eating then add just a couple of hundred calories per week until you get up to the TDEE level. I'm guessing that it is a lot higher, since you are a young, active male, and you said you need to go UP to get to 1800. I'm a much older and less active woman and I eat 1800 to lose weight, your TDEE should be well over 2000 calories as a young man.

QUOTE:
    All TDEE Calculators put me at around 2300-2500 calories. But the weird thing is, I have only been losing 1-1.5lbs a week eating around 1800 calories so I don't really get how the math is working out to put me at 2300...I seem to be lower right?

QUOTE:
    The math is perfect for 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. 2300-500 = 1800. 2500-750=1750. So there you go, eat 2300 to 2500 and you will maintain your weight.

I just ate at 1949 last week and only dropped .6. Shouldn't I have dropped more? If I lose weight this week then I will add in more calories next week. I appreciate you taking interest in my situation and trying to help. But I don't get what is wrong with this method, especially seeing as I have a nutritionist helping me out now and agreeing with it.
  • dpr73
    Options
    You have to remember that before when you were not eating breakfast and sometimes skipping lunch that your body was in starvation mode. It thought that there were not enough calories to go around so your metabolism was WAY slow. Now that you are eating frequently and are MUCH more active, you metabolism is through the roof (comparatively for sure). So you are going to burn WAY more calories. Plus I am sure that your snacking choices now are ALOT healthier than they used to be! Keep adding in a few more calories at a time until you balance out. If you normally have fruit or veggies as a snack, add some string cheese or a glass of milk to that! Milk and cheese can pack a big punch calorie wise in a small package, plus they are great sources of protein and calcium. Great job on your weight loss and look at it this way, the hard part is behind you! You have done the REALLY hard part, comparatively, this is going to be easy, it will just take some time to figure out what works for you!

Thank you. I have been adding in peanut butter to snacks recently, and granola to my yogurt doing snacks. I have also doubled the amount of granola I have at breakfast. I am weighing in this monday to see where I am. I think I will be close.
  • deksgrl
    Options

I just ate at 1949 last week and only dropped .6. Shouldn't I have dropped more? If I lose weight this week then I will add in more calories next week. I appreciate you taking interest in my situation and trying to help. But I don't get what is wrong with this method, especially seeing as I have a nutritionist helping me out now and agreeing with it.

You keep asking questions, which people keep trying to answer. By all means do what your nutritionist suggests, that is a really good plan. But I still think you are caught up in the minutae of it all and you don't have to worry about all of the things you are worried about.
  • dpr73
    Options

You keep asking questions, which people keep trying to answer. By all means do what your nutritionist suggests, that is a really good plan. But I still think you are caught up in the minutae of it all and you don't have to worry about all of the things you are worried about.

Okay. Thanks for the help. I was asking questions because I admit it gets very uncomfortable for me when I start increasing calories. I feel like I am doing it all wrong or something. You have all been very helpful overall, but now I am finally becoming comfortable with my increases and realize that it will do little to my current weight. But on the same token I think increasing too quickly will make me too uncomfortable (I feel pretty full every time I add in calories so I have to let myself get used to it). I am realizing this transition is a process and maybe I was overthinking/stressing more than I should have.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    250 calories more = a very small snack.
  • dpr73
    Options
    250 calories more = a very small snack.

Well with the way I am eating, 200 calorie snacks are decently substantial (a chobani yogurt with a tbsp of granola fills me up for a good two hours). But I am definitely adding calories to snacks if I have to add in more calories, because I honestly can't see anywhere else to add things in. I like the way I am eating now, it's just unfortunate that it may not be sufficient for me and my activity level.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Trail mix with nuts & seeds. Doesn't take much of that to hit 250 calories.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Trail mix with nuts & seeds. Doesn't take much of that to hit 250 calories.

So one final question. Is it not a good idea to listen to hunger signals right now? I have thought about doing things this way but have heard that it can be difficult right after a diet.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Hunger is controlled by hormones. The hormones are affected by the amount you have been eating. It is not always a good indicator of whether or not you are getting enough to eat. For example, anorexic people clearly do not eat enough, yet they are not hungry. Your hunger signals will adjust.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are answering your own question.
  • dpr73
    Options
    sounds like you are answering your own question.

I feel like I know what I need to do but maintenance just scares me. I am a person who likes a routine/habit and I hate seeing that I don't have a comfortable routine to maintain yet.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Maybe you keep losing because of all the stress this calorie counting is causing! You are young and in the prime of life!!! Enjoy life and don't stress or worry so much!
  • dpr73
    Options
    Believe me I try not to worry, however this weight is really where I'm happiest an I just want to figure out how to maintain it. I feel like letting go will cause a gain seeing as so many people gain the weight back. I'm trying to do this cautiously. But when I get maintenance right I know I'll be a lot more comfortable.