first time losing weight w/out gym access

Options
and its making me nuts. (TL;DR version - how much can I lose through diet alone with a sedentary lifestyle? or, skip to last paragraph)

Hi, brand new member here, frustrated as all hell. Not with the site, with my situation.

Long, long ago (in a galaxy far away) I used to spend hours & hours lifting weights(and on the stair climber) at the gym. At my peek as a teenager, 2-3hrs a day 6-7 days a week. Except for the days I'd get bored & go back again for another few hours. This was on top of sets of crunches throughout my day where ever I was & then I'd go biking for miles When I had the time.

Then came a medically complicated pregnancy, changes in lifestyle I had little control over. Years & more babies & stress & all that jazz has brought me to a place I'm no longer willing to tolerate. You know putting on weight after I had my kids was bad enough. Getting to a place where I don't feel strong and flexible anymore, I just can't tolerate.

I had a rough couple of years and have been basically stuck in my house with nothing to do. I knew I'd gained weight, but haven't had a scale so when I went to the Dr in February I was shocked & horrified. I bought a scale & have lost 8lbs since March 7th having started at 307. Which is, great. I'm astonished by how quickly it came off to start. I know it isn't realistic to expect that rate to continue. But the scale is doing the fluctuating thing every day & its got me thinking & paranoid. (I know, it can do that, thats why they recommend weighing once a week rather than every day, :tongue: )

I'm having an impossible time getting any exercise in. I'm home all the time with my 3kids. Two of them are independent teenagers, but one is a toddler. Regardless, I have no space & privacy to work out at home. I've tried it so many times. Its impossible to get into a zone when the phone rings or someone needs something or the toddler starts jumping on your back half way through every other set.

I don't have a lot of options outside. I live in the frozen north, its all snow & ice still. I got severely heat sick working road construction a dozen years ago & since I haven't been able to tolerate the sun since. I get nauseated, dizzy, and have actually passed out a few times. So I'll only have a small window once things warm up a touch during which I'll actually be able to exercise outside. I've never been much of a runner, even at my best it winds me easily, now I have some knee problems from following an intense work-out with dancing in high heels which caused a subluxation of the patella and obnoxiously annoying metatrsalgia in my feet. So running isn't a good fit for me. I can walk/jog a little, and I will when it gets just a touch warmer out for as long as I can before the sun gets too bad.

:smile: TL;DR START HERE:

In the meantime though, I'm at a loss. I'm trying to do sets of bench crunches on my table when I think about it, but I can't get any real solid work-outs in and its going to be a while yet before I can get back into the gym, I just don't have the money right now or any way to get there. I'm doing ok with the diet part of this. I haven't worked in as much protein as I should probably be getting yet, but otherwise I'm doing ok & don't feel like I'm starving throughout my day. This site has definitely helped me be aware of my calorie intake, which is awesome, but how much can I really lose with a sedentary lifestyle through diet alone? Should I be worried about losing the little bit of muscle I have left during this process? I had that happened to me with a more drastic diet after I had my first son, that was horrible. I'm thinking it was probably just because that diet was designed to have you lose so much during such a short period of time (it was called the t-lite diet. you'd do the diet for 3 days, feel like you were starving, and then eat normally for the other 4days of the week. I'd lose about 4-7lbs during every 3day period) More gradual weight loss won't do that if I'm not lifting, will it? I really, really can't wait until I can get back into a gym!!

Replies

• jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it somewhere. Why can't you go to the gym? Most gyms have daycare facilities so pack up the toddler and go to the gym for an hour. You can lose weight while being sedentary but it takes a lot longer. I bought a treadmill as I too live in the tundra. lol. I just put on my earbuds and ignore everyone for 45 minutes.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2ekp2xs.gif

All you have to do is eat less than you burn every day, the gym is not required for that.
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can get on YouTube and find videos to do in the house, for free. I get the need a free option, as that was what I needed 5 years ago when I had finally taken off the weight... then came the medically complicated pregnancy and lots of other things. I, too, am where you are and just don't want this weight anymore. I'm not setting any kind of positive example for my daughter and so my journey has been long and slow, but I'm not giving up. With my husband & I's work schedules, I only have 5am as the time to exercise and I'm NOT a morning person, but I have been doing it with videos in my house. Before my daughter has to get up so we can go to work. Not ideal, but my only option so I'm making it work.

Recognize that you did not put the weight on overnight and remember it WON'T come off overnight. Don't do any 'fad' diet, just take it day by day and track everything you eat and when you get 10 or more minutes/day of activity above your normal routine. Make cleaning the house fun, turn on music, dance and do fun moves while dusting. Do things differently. Look at daily tasks as an opportunity to incorporate more movement. Doing dishes can be a chance to stand there and move side to side with your oblique's.

I hope just a bit of extra, dedicated movement can help you. Good luck and feel free to friend or message me.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow....can you write! So your stuck at home, huh? You can move around the house....sit ups, exercise with TV or
    almost anything just move around.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    1) Stop weighing yourself everyday. Things fluctuate. If weight loss is your goal, weigh yourself at the same time on the same day (like, 1st thing in the morning on Fridays) and prepare for depressing fluctuations. All that matters is a downward slope month after month.

2) You have a LONG list of reasons you can't workout (no time, no space, kids, knee problems, etc.). Everyone here over 30 has had the exact same list. Working out is a pain in the *kitten*, until it becomes part of your lifestyle. Then it's just like eating and sleeping.

3) Youtube has a LOTS of videos that might help you. Google "workout at home" and look at the videos there. You might also check "body weight exercises" for additional ideas.

4) Get a dog. Seriously. They require exercise, and will force you to be more active.

Good luck!
  • SunshineHardcore
    SunshineHardcore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Because I'm broke as hell. Long story but a family member "borrowed" money I had set aside to buy a new vehicle without asking, had a heart attack & couldn't pay me back. I ended up in debt & without transportation.

I have no vehicle & no money to get a gym membership with. I'm working on trying to fix it all, but I'm on a fixed income so its slow going.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is 80% diet. So go on www.iifym.com, calculate your TDEE and eat 300-500 calories below TDEE for weight loss. Even being sedentary, you will lose weight. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight ;)

You will lose some of your muscle, but you could look into bodyweight fitness - there are plenty of exercises you can do at home to keep some strength in you :)

I highly recommend joining Reddit and checking out either www.reddit.com/r/fitness or www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness. You'll learn a lot about losing weight in whatever circumstance and options for fitness outside of the gym.

Good luck!
  • SunshineHardcore
    SunshineHardcore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Music & energetic cleaning, that's not a bad idea. Certainly there are things I could clean around here!

I've thought about videos, the trouble is I don't have a lot of space in my living room & I almost never have any privacy or uninterrupted time. Even just trying to do a few sets of crunches, I swear, my toddler always has something he desperately needs to discuss with me or needs half way through a set. He tends to crawl into bed with me half way through the night so if I set an alarm & get out of bed, he gets up too. Nighttime is really the only time he's not basically glued to my side & I'm generally too tired by then.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Although I don't know too much about raising a toddler, maybe there is a way you can teach them that even 30 minutes of your home fitness is 'mommy time' and they can just sit on the couch and watch or play with a toy meanwhile.

Otherwise I would suggest toddler's nap time.

But overall, there's a lot you can do in your daily life - squat whilst brushing your teeth or do push ups whilst waiting for the water to boil when cooking. As you mentioned, energetic cleaning and dancing around is also a little something. Before bedtime you can even do a set up sit ups, maybe a 45 second plank or two and other stuff like that.

Just make sure that you work hard on your diet and watch those macros also :)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, don't worry about not having gym access. I've never stepped in a gym (although I would love to go if I could) and I am losing weight just fine. The only way you will lose weight is by having the calorie deficit. Even people who visit a gym daily aren't neccessarily going to lose weight unless they combine it with proper diet. Focus on your diet and do what you can at home. My husband was deployed when I had our first child. I had no babysitter, no gym access, but I was determined to lose the excess weight I had packed on before my husband returned. I did it through eating less, and for exercise, I pushed my little one around the park in his stroller. Simple, but effective!
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Because I'm broke as hell. Long story but a family member "borrowed" money I had set aside to buy a new vehicle without asking, had a heart attack & couldn't pay me back. I ended up in debt & without transportation.

I have no vehicle & no money to get a gym membership with. I'm working on trying to fix it all, but I'm on a fixed income so its slow going.

I think we've all been there. Okay well, even if you get 10 minutes a day it will help. Push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges. dumbbell curls. The basics. No need for fancy equipment or DVDs.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    you don't Need a gym
    you don't Need a lot of space
    you don't Need privacy

you Do need to teach your child to either let you work out, or you Need to do it when he/she goes to bed.

This coming from a girl with two jobs, a husband and two kids, who often end up in our bed. they've learned its Zero fun to get up with me when I'm working out.

I DO hear a lot of excuses.

You use to love it. JUST START! Once you start.... the good feelings will return and you'll WANT this.
  • knutsk
    knutsk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One suggestion would be to emphasize to your older kids how important this is to you and then have them babysit your toddler 3 times a week during your workout. Even pay them to babysit, if necessary--it's cheaper than a car. If you make the time sacrosanct, it'll be much easier to make it happen.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Depending on your TV provider, you could have access to workout videos like I do through OnDemand through Comcast/Xfinity. They have a wide array of cardio workouts to yoga and pilates, and even body weight exercises and it's all included with our cable package. It's really useful when you need a new workout or are short on time.
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what will make you lose weight, so don't worry about the gym membership now. There are tons of people who have lost without stepping foot in a gym, myself included. Make sure you're accurate in your tracking, and squeeze in exercise where you can. Jog in place waiting for the microwave, squat while brushing your teeth, jumping jacks and situps during tv commercials, or play a game of tag or something with your toddler. There's always opportunities to move more during the day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Music & energetic cleaning, that's not a bad idea. Certainly there are things I could clean around here!

I've thought about videos, the trouble is I don't have a lot of space in my living room & I almost never have any privacy or uninterrupted time. Even just trying to do a few sets of crunches, I swear, my toddler always has something he desperately needs to discuss with me or needs half way through a set. He tends to crawl into bed with me half way through the night so if I set an alarm & get out of bed, he gets up too. Nighttime is really the only time he's not basically glued to my side & I'm generally too tired by then.

Walking videos take very little room. If you watch TV....you can do these workouts at the same time. There are no dance moves to learn....just march in place, switch to side steps, switch to knee lifts, switch to small kicks. These won't wake up your child, everything is low impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IH12Piuf4

Your local library will have some walking DVDs as well.....Leslie Sansone, Debbie Rocker, Madeline Lewis
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    OK... first off.. yes you can absolutely get pretty close to your goal with diet alone. That being said, I highly recommend getting a food scale to make sure you are being accurate with your logging. I know its a pain and I fought it for so long but I'm glad I did because I was making 200+calories in mistakes by underestimating everyday.

I assume since you have a toddler that you are moving around during the day... maybe try to do more active activities with the little one instead of sitting to be sure your burn is high enough.

Now.... you are at some point going to have to put all the excuses to the side and find a way to work out... because if you don't... you won't be happy with your results and won't be able to maintain your muscle tone through your losses. Set aside 20min a day (put in a movie for the little one and stand over to the side with your adjustable dumbbells and lift) that's all it takes and you will see a huge difference. Keep in mind that you are setting an example now for those kids on how they will live their life. You want them to see you active and taking care of yourself so they do the same instead of growing up with weight issues themselves.

Good luck!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Walk. Just start walking everyday. Bring the kids. Push a stroller. Walking burns calories!! You can do this!!!!!!
  • RecklezzBeauty
    RecklezzBeauty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i do exercise at home and at the gym and yes the gym gives you way more options but all you have to do it walk or even around your house. 10000 steps a day try to do that jumping jacks some squats maybe by a weight 8-10 lbs and do lunges and sumos also lay on your back and act like your riding a bike in the air. I am 366 lbs and do workouts at home and at the gym and lost 13 lbs so far started actually march 6th 2014 so 1 day before you.. it can be done please find a way. its not easy and there will always be a excuse not to work out kids life in general but WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY! Eat 1200 calories-1400 a day unless you need more eat healthy chicken Skinless and smaller portions use your sons plate I do! Eat veggies broccoli and snack on carrots or things of that nature. DRink WATERRRRRRRRR cause it helps u lose so much weight.

Goodluck and hope you stay motivated and determined to lose. You can friend me if you would like we could buddies and motivators. You can never have to many people pulling for you.
  • kellbot1
    kellbot1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a broken record, but there's a ton of work to be done in the kitchen. Exercise is great, but from the sound of it you were previously overexercising to compensate for poor eating (unless I misread things and you were a professional athlete or something).

Get a handle on cooking from scratch, portions, and balanced nutrition. Doing just that much with a toddler is a challenge (I've got one myself) but it gets easier with practice. Once you're eating correctly you can grab a small set of dumbbells and do some workouts at home during nap time. Most of the exercises I do can be done within a 4 foot square.

Gradual weight loss from balanced eating shouldn't take too much of a toll on your muscle mass. As long as you keep up your current level of physical activity and get enough protein you'll be fine.