Homemade bread?

Options
monicapeterson54
monicapeterson54 Posts: 34 Member
Do any of you make your own bread? Do you have any good recipes/tips to share? *I do not own a breadmaker, but am considering buying one....

Replies

• shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've recently got a bread maker, it came with a recipe booklet, lots of different settings and the one I have you can even make pizza dough, jam and compote! It tastes a lot better than store bought, and it seems to last a lot longer too! :)
  • Amysala851
    Options
    I have a bread machine and love it. I have made Bread, cinnamon rolls, pizza rolls, pizza dough, hot dog buns, English rolls, rolls, and love it. It is so easy. I use pinterest for ideas.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have a bread machine and love it. I have made Bread, cinnamon rolls, pizza rolls, pizza dough, hot dog buns, English rolls, rolls, and love it. It is so easy. I use pinterest for ideas.

Same here. I love my breadmaker. I literally dump in the ingredients and it does the rest. I would not attempt to make bread on my own!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Breadmakers are awesome, but I had to give mine to Goodwill. I liked bread waaayyyyy too much, and it was not conducive to my weight management, lol.

I also made strawberry jam and homemade rolls and stuff, too. I liked Allrecipes.com.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Try Goodwill for a bread maker. I use my stand mixer with a dough hook and it works well. Kneading dough by hand will give your arms a nice workout though!
    This is a simple quick bread recipe that's great for sandwiches and toast. I half the recipes to make a single loaf and replace the sugar with a couple teaspoons of honey. It will slice thin so you can do lower calorie sandwiches and garlic toast.
    http://www.lafujimama.com/2009/09/simple-one-hour-homemade-bread/
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a bread recipe that is really easy and hasn't let me down yet.

Mix 1 C warm water with 1 T yeast and 2 T honey
    Let it sit for 10 min or so, then mix in 1 C flour (you can use any kind, white, whole wheat, buckwheat, whatever)
    Add 1/4 C oil. Olive oil gives it a better taste than regular canola, in my opinion.
    Add 1 t salt
    Add flour until it's a nice, non sticky, doughy consistency (between 1 and 1/2 to 2 and 1/2 cups)
    Knead till all the flour is well incorporated
    Cook at 350 for bread, 375 for rolls

You can do anything you want with this recipe. Sometimes when I add the salt, I add a bunch of italian seasoning and parmesan cheese as well, to make it into italian bread. I've also used it for cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, and breadsticks. It always comes out tasting good.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I have a bread maker, but the problem is it only makes 1 loaf at a time. I would much rather make four loaves at once, it's not that much work, if you're home anyway and you don't mind reading a book or whatever while it rises this works better for me.
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I make homemade bread, currently I'm working through the book The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. I love the recipes and my family and friends really enjoy the bread. I wouldn't be interested in a bread machine because I enjoy the process of doing it myself...well almost, I swear by my Kitchenaid!!! Here's a blog post you may be interested in...

http://www.readysetyum.com/1/post/2014/01/anadama-bread-the-boston-marathon.html
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Let it sit for 10 min or so, then mix in 1 C flour (you can use any kind, white, whole wheat, buckwheat, whatever)
    Add 1/4 C oil. Olive oil gives it a better taste than regular canola, in my opinion.
    Add 1 t salt
    Add flour until it's a nice, non sticky, doughy consistency (between 1 and 1/2 to 2 and 1/2 cups)

You can do anything you want with this recipe. Sometimes when I add the salt, I add a bunch of italian seasoning and parmesan cheese as well, to make it into italian bread. I've also used it for cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, and breadsticks. It always comes out tasting good.

Do you cover it at all and leave to rise before you cook it? I bought some yeast the other day for the first time as I want to make my own, but have no bread maker and this looks like it might be something a first timer could do!
  • Karen64Lynn
    Karen64Lynn Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Add 1 t salt

Do you cover it at all and leave to rise before you cook it? I bought some yeast the other day for the first time as I want to make my own, but have no bread maker and this looks like it might be something a first timer could do!

Ditto on the question. This looks like something I could make - any tips would be great. After kneading it is there anything else before it goes in the oven?
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Add 1 t salt

Yes, sorry, I forgot to say, but I do let it rise for about an hour :)
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I dislike the bread that comes out of a bread maker, but I bake bread the old fashioned way occasionally. A loaf never lasts more than about 2 days (4 people eating). I have many good recipes, most of which I'm sure you could find with your search engine.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Grain-free, gluten-free, yeast-free banana bread

2 eggs
    1 very ripe banana
    1 oz (30 grams) black walnuts or other nuts.

Add ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour contents into an oiled vessel of your choose. Cook until done. Recipe is very versatile and can be made into griddle cakes, load cakes, muffins, or smoothie.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Made bread for years and years. Hands down best tasting bread ever - best crumb - was Mark Bittman's Minimalist "No Knead" recipe. See the video here: http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/1248069588694/no-knead-bread.html
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I do have a couple of machines. One was a gift to my wife from one of her friends. The other one we gave my parents on their 50th anniversary. I ate lots of bread my dad made with it when he was alive, but I haven't used either of them myself. A friend on another site sent me a recipe for a healthy cottage cheese bread he makes a lot. I need to try it.

{I will just copy and paste his PM to me}

Combine 3 cups of bread flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, and 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast in the breadmaker pan...unless, of course, your machine has a yeast dispenser on top as mine does, so the yeast is added later in the cycle. Then add 1 egg, 1/4 cup of water, 1 cup of cottage cheese, and 2 tablespoons of butter to the mix.

I have had excellent results three dozen times making this bread, texture is excellent and it's very good for toasting. I have always used 4% milkfat large curd cottage cheese for this recipe and wait until it is almost cooled before slicing.
  • SSBearPop
    SSBearPop Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Funny..when I saw this topic I had just thrown the ingredients for our favorite loaf of bread in the mini Zo. I adapted this recipe from an old bread machine recipe to include some whole grains. We love it because its a hearty sandwich bread with the softness and moisture of a white potato bread.

1 1/2 c bread flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup multi grain cereal
    3 tbs potato flakes
    1 tsp vital wheat gluten (optional -- but gives a lighter fluffier loaf when using whole grains)
    3/4 cup liquid (I use half milk, half water)
    1 beaten egg
    2 tbs sugar (have used honey or agave here, if so may need to adjust liquid)
    1 tbs oil (or butter)
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp yeast

Since this is our go-to bread and I make it so often, I have taken to measuring out and brown bagging 4-5 portions of the dry ingredients at a time and storing them in the pantry. Saves a lot of time during the week.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Love my breadmaker. I do have a ton of recipes, any kind in particular you're looking for? Also the King Arthur Flour website has some really great, easy recipes. It's like making bread by hand though, once you get the hang of it, you pretty much come up with a lot of your own recipes.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try that recipe too! Looks great!

We love to make our own pizza dough with ours too!
  • tudazies
    tudazies Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I've been planning to do the pizza dough for so long! Need to get to it.............