I do not understand why this happened to me?

Options

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Well, first you're weighing your food. Second, you're going to be bloated as hell from all that salt. Give it a few days to digest and to get rid of the bloat. You'll be fine.
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    sounds impossible, i wouldnt worry too much, could be a mix of water weight and dodgry scales...
    Maybe buy some new ones and start again? Mine did this a few months ago, I was really upset as i thought i had gained 6lb in a week because i had a glass of wine and a meal out (wasnt that bad a meal either!) when my jeans were still fitting and the scales said differently, i used my boyfriend scales andrealised mine were just knackered (and they were new ones as well!)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight goes up & down day to day & throughout the day. So take photos & measurements too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • DoubleR_Boss
    Options
    There are two foods that will blow me up if I choose to eat them for a cheat day: pizza and pasta. If I still choose to eat one of them for my cheat day I will go low carb & low sodium one day before my cheat day and continue low carb & low sodium two days after my cheat day. If not, I will retain that cheat day water for almost a week :( So yea, pizza/pasta not worth it for me. Also, please update on how long it takes to lose that 12pds of water!
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7. I ate the meal at 6PM. It's currently 1AM and I have yet to void or anything. Water retention?

Are you kidding? You ate a huge meal then weighed yourself a few hours later??? WHY???? And why are you asking such a daft question? Did you eat a bucket of pasta and drink a gallon of liquid.

Weigh yourself once a week at the same time. Stop obsessing!
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Definitely just discouraged this time with so much I put on after the cheat meal. I guess
    I'm thinking maybe a cheat SNACK next time. I didn't know one meal would set me back so far. This is why I'm frustrated. /:
    I am not weighing again until Monday.
    This is just obsessive behaviour....ONE meal does NOT make you gain 12lbs.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Do you measure your waist? I wonder what a 12lb gain would add to your waist? I'm guessing 3 to 4 inches.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You're wearing a heavy rucksack....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My guess is, you were low on Glycogen from a low carb diet and lot's of cardio. When you ate the carbs, your muscles were replenished with Glycogen, which attaches itself to water molecules.

^^^^ I think it's a combination of this plus sodium water weight, and probably your scale is dodgy as well. Maybe throw in some TOM water weight gain as well....

One things for sure, you didn't gain 12lb of fat overnight.

If you're eating too little and doing too much cardio that's counterproductive in the long term, so you might want to think about eating more and/or doing less cardio.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1am weighing = meaningless. Weigh yourself in the morning after you pee.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

And poo.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

And poo.

And never right after you eat. Food does weigh something even after you put it in your mouth, you know?
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Why would you think to weigh yourself at 1 am? That seems like an obsessive behavior. You must feel guilty over this "cheat" meal. You need to change your relationship with food and the scale.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You didn't put on 12lbs of fat so I wouldn't worry - You seriously cant think you have put on all that weight??

From one big bowl of pasta??? Really?

Carb load.....End of!!

Drink lots of water, and carry on with your weight loss : )
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My guess is water from too much carbs and salt. Wait it out. It's completely impossible to gain 12 pounds overnight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, that's not real weight gain so there's no need to be discouraged. Even if you see a slight gain after you do "void" in the morning, it's just going to be water weight. 3500 calories = 1 pound so it's pretty unlikely you actually gained.

Give it a few days, drink lots of water, get back on track with your calories and I'll bet your back to normal weight (or just slightly over). Relax and be patient.
  • Jenn_Lyn1102
    Jenn_Lyn1102 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your sodium levels are through the roof the past couple days I looked at, you might want to lower those.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do that too. It will come off when you go back to eating normal.

I am assuming you were eating relatively low carb and sodium (not extreme on either). When you eat more carbs, you hold on to more water. Same with sodium. I'm close to your size and I can make my weight drop or go up 10 pounds just by playing with my carb intake. Don't stress over it, it will come off when you return to eating normal.
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No, it's far from obsessive behavior. My goodness.
    I weigh myself before/after cheat meals typically it's a 5 pounds gain. NOT 12.
    My waist was 4" bigger this morning. The weight is still on.

I am Insomnia, being up at 1AM is typically.
    Never did say I weighted at 1AM, I said that I still had not VOIDED at 1AM.
    Don't be so quick to judge, thanks.
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    *have