I do not understand why this happened to me?

Options

Replies

• UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You may be retaining water due to the sodium. Drink tons of water...

BTW, it's none of my business but..... I would never suggest treating yourself to a cheat meal if you're trying to lose weight. Get new workout clothes or something but never food. And why weigh yourself "after" a cheat meal? Doesn't it discourage you? I know it would discourage me.
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes it's very discouraging.
    I don't see another cheat meal in my future.
    But it keeps me from feeling deprived.
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    By the way guys, I just weighed on my boyfriends scale. The weight was 156. So gained 5 pounds.
    Which is still a lot for me the day after. Typically it's 5 after I eat and 2 the next day I have to work to get off.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this! I had a similar discouraging weigh in after a large sushi cheat meal. Went from 210 to 215.2. Weighed 5.2 lbs more the next AM! And still up 3 days later. Makes me worry that my weight before the cheat meal (that I was really happy about) was just due to an empty GI tract and some dehydration.
    I really thought i was losing weight slowly and consistently. I hope that's the case.
    No, I haven't used a tape measure.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    it's the salt in the meal. double your water intake you'll pee it out in a few days.
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    Never had this big of a setback. I'm just frustrated.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Actually really thinking about going to the doc. If I have a problem like dehydration it needs to be address. I will probably go if the weight doesn't come off in the next week or so.
    Was reading only that much water retention is a sign of a heart problem.

I think the doctor will prescribe a chill pill with a dose of common sense.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

If you read that on WebMD, you probably have cancer too.

I would *think* that after 73 pounds of loss, you'd know how wildly weight can fluctuate.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You have done excellent at losing weight with 73 lbs gone. Give yourself a break! Tomorrow is a new day!
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    I've just never had such a setback with my weight loss I guess.
    Thanks for the support from some.
    & if you have a rude comment, I'd rather you leave my forum.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    "Actually really thinking about going to the doc. If I have a problem like dehydration it needs to be address. I will probably go if the weight doesn't come off in the next week or so.
    Was reading only that much water retention is a sign of a heart problem. "

^
    That, plus your statements about weighing in before and after cheat meals? Dude. That is obsessive behavior.

Relax. Drink some water. If you are still up that much after a week, maybe consider worrying. This is just silly.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Actually really thinking about going to the doc. If I have a problem like dehydration it needs to be address. I will probably go if the weight doesn't come off in the next week or so.

I Im pretty sure you didn't suddenly develop heart failure! You would have shortness of breath and leg swelling, not just water weight gain! You also don't fit the demographic, especially now that you are healthier with a better BMI.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It is just water weight. Don't weigh yourself at night!
  • TeriaShae
    Options

I would *think* that after 73 pounds of loss, you'd know how wildly weight can fluctuate.

Guess not. Never had a setback like this.
    Just because you may know doesn't mean I do?
    We're two different people, with two entirely different bodies.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Don't have a cheat meal, and then weigh yourself 7 hours later. What's the point of having it if you are just going to torture yourself!?
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    I have bradycardia. This is why it was worrisome.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've just never had such a setback with my weight loss I guess.
    Thanks for the support from some.
    & if you have a rude comment, I'd rather you leave my forum.

Not to be rude, but this isn't YOUR forum. It's public.

In all seriousness, you've done a great job so far with your weightloss and assuming that you've done it in a reasonable manner you should be able to realize that one random spike when you are fully aware that you ate more food than usual with high carbohydrates and salt isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Don't be so hard on yourself, weigh in a couple days from now, and relax.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I had a VERY good two weeks. I lost 3.5 pounds and I was extremely happy. I decided to have a cheat meal which I did not log. It was pasta with breadsticks and salad. Water to drink.
    I went from 151 to 163 just today!!
    How did this happen? I lost 3.5 pounds only to gain 12 overnight??

Sodium + carbs = water retention, + food is still inside you, no pooping yet.

Wait 2-3 days, try weighing again.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Guess not. Never had a setback like this.
    Just because you may know doesn't mean I do?
    We're two different people, with two entirely different bodies.

it's not a setback....
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    OP is bonkers. If you're going to have a cheat meal, it's supposed to make you feel satisfied enough to deal with the water and food weight gain that occurs directly after it. Actually, if you can't handle water weight gain and weight gained from the weight of food inside you, you really should think about your relationship with dieting.