Frozen fruit

Options
Does anyone freeze their fruit. I have been freezing grapes and i'm thinking of doing it will all fruit. It's great to pack in my "lunch bag" and have for breakfast or snack ... or even a quick late night snack watching a favorite t.v. show.

I had been struggling getting my fruit in - and I think this is my way to get it in. I usually have fruit that will go bad by the end of the week - and i'm thinking freezing it will prevent it from going bad.... and I won't feel bad about wasting money.

What do you all think of freezing fruit... and any ideas on the best way to do it.

Replies

• aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OMG frozen pineapple! It's the greatest thing ever.
  • xfatguy2014
    Options
    Personally I freeze all my fruit! Especially bananas, pineapple, etc. However I use them in my meal replacement shake to add flavor and to give it more thickness instead of using ice. Finally I will only eat fruit in the morning or during lunch meals especially prior to workout or post workout, due to sugar content.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I think if it works for you then you should do it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Buy fruit in smaller portions?.....
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I will buy bananas and let them get really ripe and then peel them and break them into chunks and then into snack baggies and then freeze them. I do the same for strawberries, just clean and slice them, bag them and freeze them. I mostly use them for smoothies then, keeps me from throwing the fruit away when it gets older. I also freeze grapes and just grab them when I am craving something sweet.
  • Rusty612
    Rusty612 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I keep it fresh for as long as I'm able, but if I'm left with fruit that's about to be over-ripe I do freeze it!
    Frozen bananas are great in smoothies, and can be thawed to make banana breads.
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try frozen pineapple!!! That actually sounds amazing. The bananas I froze didn't work well, but i'm going to try and cut them up.. however I do love fresh bananas and they NEVER go bad. My whole family loves bananas. I can't buy enough of them.

I'm going to try and freeze honeydew and melons too.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Does anyone freeze their fruit. I have been freezing grapes and i'm thinking of doing it will all fruit. It's great to pack in my "lunch bag" and have for breakfast or snack ... or even a quick late night snack watching a favorite t.v. show.

I had been struggling getting my fruit in - and I think this is my way to get it in. I usually have fruit that will go bad by the end of the week - and i'm thinking freezing it will prevent it from going bad.... and I won't feel bad about wasting money.

What do you all think of freezing fruit... and any ideas on the best way to do it.

Freezing it makes it a processed food and therefore bad, I'd avoid it
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen fruit, it can work out cheaper than fresh, then it use it for my smoothies, I also buy fresh fruit, but I'd never thought about freezing it before it goes bad, I'll had to do that from now on. Thank you for the tip.
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of frozen fruit from Sam's Club and then portion it down in to baggies. Then when I want some fruit I pop one in the fridge or my lunch bag for it to defrost. I always wind up throwing fruit away if I buy it fresh. Just make sure to get frozen fruit without added sugar if you go this route.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do fruit smoothies every morning for breakfast. That is how I get in my fruit. I buy pretty much all frozen fruit. First off buying frozen is cheaper and it keeps it fresh. Yes I freeze grapes too and also bananas.

• nancyluckhurst3
    Options
    OH good grief. Get real.

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit is sometimes healthier than fresh. They are usually frozen within a few hours of harvest, so the nutritional values are preserved. As fresh fruit sits, it tends to lose nutritional value.

Freeze away! FYI - Frozen blueberries are da bomb! Strawberries get a little mushy but work very well in smoothies - the freezing sort of gives the smoothie a "milkshake" feel.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are great to take with on a longer bike ride. If you bring room temp grapes along on a hot day, by the time you sit down to eat them after 2-3 hours of riding, your grapes are hot. But frozen ones are so refreshing!
  • nancyluckhurst3
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/myth-or-fact-fresh-produce-is-more-nutritious-than-frozen-produce.html

"Frozen produce, on the other hand, is generally picked at its peak of ripeness and frozen immediately after a process called blanching, where the product is cooked briefly in boiling water to sterilize it. While certain water-soluble vitamins like vitamins C and B may be partially lost during this process, frozen fruit and vegetables generally keep the majority of their nutritive value when processed. Because of this, frozen produce is no less nutritious than fresh produce."

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

Seriously?!?!? I mean....seriously? Get real. Chewing is "processing"too...better start swallowing everything whole.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/myth-or-fact-fresh-produce-is-more-nutritious-than-frozen-produce.html

"Frozen produce, on the other hand, is generally picked at its peak of ripeness and frozen immediately after a process called blanching, where the product is cooked briefly in boiling water to sterilize it. While certain water-soluble vitamins like vitamins C and B may be partially lost during this process, frozen fruit and vegetables generally keep the majority of their nutritive value when processed. Because of this, frozen produce is no less nutritious than fresh produce."

Oh quoting random websites?
    Avoid exposure to chemical toxins in your food (pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, etc) and on your skin. But also try to avoid the hidden poisons in foods like sugars, grains, processed foods, trans and hydrogenated fats, and mercury in certain fish.
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options

Freezing the food does not make it processed. It just makes it cold.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Freezing the food does not make it processed. It just makes it cold.

Thank you

I freeze blueberries and love them that way.

I'm not sure how freezing them makes them processed.... I buy them from the store, stick them in the refrigerator or freezer depending on my preference and go from there.

According to the logic that freezing them makes them processed, I better avoid ice cubes as I don't want processed water....WTF
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love it, frozen bananas is kind like icecream "creamy" texture