Frozen fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Does anyone freeze their fruit. I have been freezing grapes and i'm thinking of doing it will all fruit. It's great to pack in my "lunch bag" and have for breakfast or snack ... or even a quick late night snack watching a favorite t.v. show.

I had been struggling getting my fruit in - and I think this is my way to get it in. I usually have fruit that will go bad by the end of the week - and i'm thinking freezing it will prevent it from going bad.... and I won't feel bad about wasting money.

What do you all think of freezing fruit... and any ideas on the best way to do it.

Freezing it makes it a processed food and therefore bad, I'd avoid it

Freezing the food does not make it processed. It just makes it cold.

Thank you

I freeze blueberries and love them that way.

I'm not sure how freezing them makes them processed.... I buy them from the store, stick them in the refrigerator or freezer depending on my preference and go from there.

According to the logic that freezing them makes them processed, I better avoid ice cubes as I don't want processed water....WTF

AMEN
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I used to freeze most, if not all, my fruit. Frozen fruit's nutritional content is higher than if you let it sit out for days and days on a table anyway.

I haven't owned a freezer in almost 3 years now, so I can't do that anymore. :(
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I will buy bananas and let them get really ripe and then peel them and break them into chunks and then into snack baggies and then freeze them. I do the same for strawberries, just clean and slice them, bag them and freeze them. I mostly use them for smoothies then, keeps me from throwing the fruit away when it gets older. I also freeze grapes and just grab them when I am craving something sweet.
    this
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Does anyone freeze their fruit. I have been freezing grapes and i'm thinking of doing it will all fruit. It's great to pack in my "lunch bag" and have for breakfast or snack ... or even a quick late night snack watching a favorite t.v. show.

I had been struggling getting my fruit in - and I think this is my way to get it in. I usually have fruit that will go bad by the end of the week - and i'm thinking freezing it will prevent it from going bad.... and I won't feel bad about wasting money.

What do you all think of freezing fruit... and any ideas on the best way to do it.

Freezing it makes it a processed food and therefore bad, I'd avoid it

Freezing the food does not make it processed. It just makes it cold.

Thank you

I freeze blueberries and love them that way.

I'm not sure how freezing them makes them processed.... I buy them from the store, stick them in the refrigerator or freezer depending on my preference and go from there.

According to the logic that freezing them makes them processed, I better avoid ice cubes as I don't want processed water....WTF

This. I haven't ever tried frozen pineapple but will certainly do so - that sounds wonderful! I freeze a lot of my fruit to avoid it going bad before it gets eaten and purchase a lot of frozen fruit to use in my spinach smoothies in the morning (3 cup spinach, 1-2 cups fruit). Add some protein powder and you have a great breakfast.

There is nothing wrong with freezing fruit. It's economical and a healthy way to ensure you are getting you quota of fruits and veggies in each day.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Save money and buy it frozen. I prefer to buy frozen blueberries because the fresh ones go bad fast.
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    Save money and buy it frozen. I prefer to buy frozen blueberries because the fresh ones go bad fast.

I do the same thing. I never eat fresh fruits and veggies fast enough, and they seem to always go bad before I get the all eaten! I just buy the hugest bags of frozen fruit and use them over several weeks. It is so much easier! I don't know if it is true, but I have heard that frozen fruits and vegetables are better because they are picked when the food is ripe and frozen right away. Fresh produce is often picked before it is ripe and then has to sit in a truck and be shipped to the store where it then sits on the shelf.
  • sabbyfairy
    sabbyfairy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I try to catch off-season berries on sale. I immediately freeze them when I get them home. It keeps them from going bad and makes them perfect for tossing into smoothies. During season, I'll go strawberry or blueberry picking and pick somewhere between 10-30 pounds (I'm a masochist and like getting the awful sunburn despite using sunblock and back ache from picking all day, don't judge me), which means that almost all of those need to be separated into bags and frozen. It's great for having berries all year round, ready for baking and snacking.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I buy 10 ounce bags of frozen blueberries, peach slices and strawberries at Dollar Tree. They are a dollar a bag and taste great. I buy several bags of each and eat them with cottage cheese, cereal, yogurt, ice cream of just plain.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    So.
    Damn.
    Good.

I just started doing this last year. One of my favorite "new" foods is frozen granny smith apples. Absurdly good.

I've also been regularly chowing down on frozen green grapes, frozen plums, and frozen bananas have a similar texture as hard ice cream, and taste especially good in a bowl of raisins and peanuts. I also from time to time will have frozen berries and pineapples in Greek yogurt, which is tasty too.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like frozen fruit by itself, I cant stand the texture after thawing and I hate smoothies, if I froze any fruit then I would have to thaw it afterwards to eat then its usually a mushy mess. I also don't understand how you can eat a frozen grape or cherry, too solid to bite through.

However I keep berries in the freezer for making fruit sauce for waffles, crepes and French toast.

If bananas go bad before I can eat them I do freeze them, but I use them to make banana bread for other people, because I also hate banana bread. Bleah!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand how you can eat a frozen grape or cherry, too solid to bite through.

Because I have good, strong teeth?
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand how you can eat a frozen grape or cherry, too solid to bite through.

Because I have good, strong teeth?

I have just found it impossible, also could be because I don't like ice cold things as well.

**As I read my comments on how I do not like all those things, I am sounding very picky, lol. I do love many other things, just not frozen fruit.