Fruit Myth... Fact or fiction.

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find natures already taken care of the argument between candy and fruit.

downloadFile?media_fileid=20019&a=597&s=450x260
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Fruits have natural vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that you don't get from eating processed sugar.

I've also heard it said, "Fruit is nature's way of ensuring you get your fiber."

I like fruit, and feel way better when I poop every day. :-)

Fruit =It's a good thing.

so if I take a multi vitamin with my candy bar is it "good" then?
    So you want to add isolated micro-nutrients to your isolated macro-nutrient food, and think that it is a complete food? No, it would still be lacking vital phyto-chemicals, anti-oxidants, fiber, water, etc. Still not a complete food.

well, you are the one saying that the nutrients make the sugar "better"...at the end of the day, in my humble opinion, your body treats sugar as sugar..and all sugars, at the molecular level, are the same...
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTr8hYOcI4zQptjL_ijsRcrcAdpDrGtkWiYZ2AsDrEPoeFk8j5

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN.
  • imranpardhan
    Options
    the reason this all fruit, raw vegan thing never really became a mainstream fad is for the simple reason that it is REALLY impractical and honestly, unless youre exercising all day, everyday- it really wont do much for you. you will probably lose weight if youre hitting negative calories, regardless. but in the long run, this is not really applicable unless you live in the outback or some kind of tropical environment. if you have a desk job, this might not be as good for you as you have been led to believe.
    imo, for the average person, you should have a bit of everything- and just try to line up with your calories and macros. shocking your body keeps you in shape, so take some cheat days too
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Fruits have natural vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that you don't get from eating processed sugar.

I've also heard it said, "Fruit is nature's way of ensuring you get your fiber."

So you want to add isolated micro-nutrients to your isolated macro-nutrient food, and think that it is a complete food? No, it would still be lacking vital phyto-chemicals, anti-oxidants, fiber, water, etc. Still not a complete food.

well, you are the one saying that the nutrients make the sugar "better"...at the end of the day, in my humble opinion, your body treats sugar as sugar..and all sugars, at the molecular level, are the same...

I think what he is trying to say in his own crazy fruit loving way is:

Nutritionally - you get more bang for your buck from a piece of fruit, as opposed to a candy bar.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    they're both wrong

eating *only* raw fruit or veg isn't healthy, because you won't get enough amino acids of essential fatty acids, and you'll probably be lacking in some vitamins and minerals as well, e.g. iron, vitamin B12

the sugar in fruit isn't bad for you. If it was we'd have to warn all the zookeepers worldwide not to feed all the other primates fruit, because humans are primates and most primates eat fruit. Obesity and blood sugar problems aren't caused by fruit. They're caused by eating more than you burn off. Even other primates in zoos, if they don't get enough exercise, they can end up eating too much and getting fat, which is why zookeepers nowadays hide their food to make them go and find it, like foraging in the wild. It's pretty much the same thing with humans. Lack of activity + ready supply of food = obesity, and the solution is to get more exercise and eat less than you burn off to lose the excess fat.

So eat fruit if you want to, it's really good for you providing carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals and fibre. And eat animal foods as well if you want to, they're really good for you too, providing protein, fat, fat soluble vitamins and iron. Just make sure you get plenty of exercise, and to lose fat eat less than you burn off, to maintain a healthy weight eat the same amount as you burn off.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    These threads always bring out the weirdos....

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
    Well there is an association with vegetarians and mental illness
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22676203

Hey! :angry:

:tongue:
    Case in point.

:heart:
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This thread is just too powerful for me right now.

tumblr_m2mxxvNRNJ1qa0fruo1_500.jpg
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options

You can do whatever you want, sweetie. But labs and candy bars are no where close to what nature provides. You decide. :-D
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

AND how sugar from fruit is better than sugar from non-natural sources!

AND GO!
    Because it comes as part of a complete package. Fruit comes with fiber, water, micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants, phyto-chemicals, amino acids.

Sugar is just one micro-nutrient removed from a plant, and then eaten in concentrations not found in the whole foods we have evolved eating.

ehh???? some "natural" fruits have as much sugar as a candy bar...so the concentrations would be the same in some...

I believe one apple has about the same amount of sugar as one Milano cookie...
    Look at the point go flying! There it goes, flying right over your head....
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says... I'm eating my green apple. Every day!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Did you hear about that guy who died from eating fruit and vegetables? Nah me either. Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

I love education :)
    UPDATE: Every person that eats this diet will die A LOT SLOWER THAN THOSE WHO EAT MEAT, DAIRY, AND FRACTIONATED PLANTS. That is all.
    Fixed it for ya. ^
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

AND how sugar from fruit is better than sugar from non-natural sources!

AND GO!
    Because it comes as part of a complete package. Fruit comes with fiber, water, micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants, phyto-chemicals, amino acids.

Sugar is just one micro-nutrient removed from a plant, and then eaten in concentrations not found in the whole foods we have evolved eating.

ehh???? some "natural" fruits have as much sugar as a candy bar...so the concentrations would be the same in some...

I believe one apple has about the same amount of sugar as one Milano cookie...
    Look at the point go flying! There it goes, flying right over your head....

YOu sound like you might be a lobbyist for a big fruit company.....are you? you sure sound like one....pushing only whole fruit...hmmm I bet the juice people don't like you.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Did you hear about that guy who died from eating fruit and vegetables? Nah me either. Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

I love education :)
    UPDATE: Every person that eats this diet will die A LOT SLOWER THAN THOSE WHO EAT MEAT, DAIRY, AND FRACTIONATED PLANTS. That is all.
    Fixed it for ya. ^

3981213+_9fe8be737ffe0ea20f0b4329f45be6d9.jpg

19anbjcx2u3gxgif.gif
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    So my vegan friend has been trying to convince me that an all raw fruit and veg lifestyle is the way to go but then other people say how the sugar in fruit is sooooo bad for you.
    I don't know what to believe. I love fruit but if it is not going to help me lose weight then I need to avoid it right?
    Is it the case that people with higher metabolisms process the 'sugars' in fruit and turn them into energy and people with slower metabolisms turn the 'sugars' in fruit into fat?

HELP

this is retarded, natural fructose is probably the sugar with the lowest GI

not that it matters anyway if your not over eating. and if you can over eat on fruits and veggies for any extended period of time, then you really love them lol

my question would be 'where is the protien going to come from'?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Eating a pure raw fruit & vegetable diet? Uh, no thanks; I like dead animal flesh. Good luck, though.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    my question would be 'where is the protein going to come from'?
    Facepalm. It comes from the food!
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So my vegan friend has been trying to convince me that an all raw fruit and veg lifestyle is the way to go

You know what they say... misery loves company ;)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Cooking food also diminishes the natural life energy

What the hell are you even talking about?
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This is how I understand it: A complete fruit is good nutrition. A juiced fruit is pretty much all sugar with some trace vitamins and minerals.

But most important of all - log what you eat and stay within a healthy calorie budget.