NOT pregnant

Options
A coworker that I hardly see stopped me in the hall, touched my stomach and exclaimed "OOOOO you're getting ROUND!"

I said, "Really? I'm not pregnant. Just fat"

She said "Oh my god, you're not? Are you well?"

Me: "Oh I'm fine. Just Fat. Thanks for pointing it out."

THen I sent her an email.... "I want to be clear that comments on my appearance are not welcome. I’ve put some weight on, but that does not mean that I am either pregnant or unwell. I am, in fact, quite healthy. However, my health and appearance are not subjects that I’m not interested in discussing with colleagues. "

WTH is wrong with people!!!!!

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    That would have caught me so off guard I'd probably have blurted out something that HR would not have appreciated.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    People are idiots.

That's unacceptable behavior pregnant or not.
  • aabucher78
    Options
    Oh my, I'm so sorry. I have had the same thing happen to me. I had someone ask me and when I said "no, I guess this must not be a flattering dress," the person responded "no, way, you must be!" I had to just walk away. And to make it even more terrible, she's much more heavy than me.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks. SHe is an older lady, it made me want to say to her: "Oh Sue, aren't you retired yet?"
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel.
    this happened to me 5-6 years ago back in college, a girl that i hardly knew ( not even her name, we just had some classes together), pointed on my stomach and goes" aww, how far along are you " / ? when i told her that i was not pregnant, she was very ashamed of herself. And me, i was humiliated in front of the whole class.:mad:
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    wow! that is so rude.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one to give than f*cking answer!! I live in a small town, and was constantly getting asked!! But is drives me CRAZy when people ask when I am due or "I didn't know you were pregnant"! I ALWAYS reply with, "i'm NOT pregnant, just fat." Luckily, being in a small town word has spread and I haven't gotten asked in awhile. Never assume a women is pregnant! Or, if you like your assumptions, at least keep them to yourself! Please! We don't need it pointed out we have gained weight, or look fat. Trust us, we know :/

Very nice way of handling it though! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • GreenEmbers
    Options
    GRR! When I eat certain things I become bloated and people do the same thing to me. Even if I know someone is pregnant, I will not touch their belly or ask questions. It's so rude to do so, a lot of pregnant women don't want to be pestered about their appearance or be touched. Unless someone brings up that they're pregnant, I don't even ask questions or talk about. I'm so sorry that happened to you, that lady is a really dummy.
  • GreenEmbers
    Options
    You look really good btw, I swear she was just doing that to be ignorant.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I'm so sorry. I have had the same thing happen to me. I had someone ask me and when I said "no, I guess this must not be a flattering dress," the person responded "no, way, you must be!" I had to just walk away. And to make it even more terrible, she's much more heavy than me.

Whaaaaa?

Open mouth, insert foot, push foot down throat?

I've heard it said that you shouldn't assume a woman is pregnant unless you see a baby coming out of her.

Even when I was pregnant, I didn't like being touched or commented on.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    Aw thanks, my profile pic was July 2012, when I was at a "happy place" with my weight (about 130). I hope seeing it will help me get back there.

I've put on 40 pounds since then..... I am petite, so I have a belly now. But still. NOT PREGNANT.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    People are so dumb. THe woman who said it to me has struggled with her weight, to the point that her weight loss story was featured on teh company intranet. So she of all people should know better.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this. I will never, ever, I mean ever, mention someone being pregnant unless I know for a fact they are and still usually let them bring it up first.
    I met a lady at swimming who was pregnant and she was alluding to the fact that she was. She appeared to be pregnant and she sounded like she was saying she was pregnant. I still played dumb and when she mentioned she wasn't doing other exercises now, just swimming, alluding to the fact she was pregnant, I asked her why and let her tell me specifically because it was because she was 8 months pregnant.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there are some people who SERIOUSLY carry all their weight in their belly and forward.

I know a girl like that- and she has told me 3 people have asked her if she was- breaks my heart because she abosolutely looks about 4-5 months along- but I knew better.

you NEVER ask- let them bring it up.

easy for me- babies are gross- I hate talking about them- so I just pretend pregnant people don't exist until they engage me directly- pregnant women creep me out. it's like an alien growing in there.

I'd rather just assume you were fat- that's easier and safer!

Sorry OP- that's so rude- glad you followed up with an email- but I like the "seriously you haven't retired yet!!!" comment- that would have been good ;)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I did this one time. It was a total accident to an old friend I haven't seen in years. She was sporting a ring in the Wal-mart maternity section talking about her recent wedding.

And guess what I said "How far along are you?"

Apparently she hates me forever now... but seriously... ring, maternity section, wedding...

It seemed logical and her belly was freakin' huge!

(Apparently she was aware of that which is assumingly why she was in maternity section in the first place..)

I wouldn't do that at work though.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sage advice from a comedian: "Do not make a comment about a woman being pregnant unless you can actually see the baby emerging. Never. Nope, not even then."
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I did this one time. It was a total accident to an old friend I haven't seen in years. She was sporting a ring in the Wal-mart maternity section talking about her recent wedding.

And guess what I said "How far along are you?"

Apparently she hates me forever now... but seriously... ring, maternity section, wedding...

It seemed logical and her belly was freakin' huge!

(Apparently she was aware of that which is assumingly why she was in maternity section in the first place..)

I wouldn't do that at work though.

that's an honest mistake- she shouldn't have been that miffed.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    there are some people who SERIOUSLY carry all their weight in their belly and forward.

I know a girl like that- and she has told me 3 people have asked her if she was- breaks my heart because she abosolutely looks about 4-5 months along- but I knew better.

you NEVER ask- let them bring it up.

easy for me- babies are gross- I hate talking about them- so I just pretend pregnant people don't exist until they engage me directly- pregnant women creep me out. it's like an alien growing in there.

I'd rather just assume you were fat- that's easier and safer!

Sorry OP- that's so rude- glad you followed up with an email- but I like the "seriously you haven't retired yet!!!" comment- that would have been good ;)

You could have answer the OP's comments without adding your own feelings about babies or pregnant woman. Your references about babies and expectant mothers are more out of place, rude and gross that what the coworker said to the OP.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I get asked that ALL the time....

On the other side of the coin... I have asked a woman on the subway if she wanted my seat just to find out she was not preggers. I was pretty upset about giving that up!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    could have- but it explains why it's easy for me to avoid them- and I would highly disagree- it's not nearly as offensive as walking up to someone and saying "are you pregnant" or walking up to someone and saying "I hate pregnant people"

. I didn't address anyone in particular. i'ts a generic feeling. I wasn't attacking anyone.

not everyone has to love or even like the whole baby process and I don't have to be.