Dumpbells - more weight or more reps?

Options
I've been doing cardio (mostly running) 3-4 times a week and yoga once a week for a month or so and am ready to start adding in some strength training. I have an exercise ball which I'm using for crunches etc. and some old dumpbells.

Last week I started some arm exercises - lateral raises, overhead press, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, bent over row, 8 reps of each with 1.5kg dumpbells but did not feel any soreness the next day as I expected. I waited a day and tried again with 3kg weights but still no soreness.

I know that you do not need to feel sore after every workout for it to be effective but I would have expected some pain as it was a new exercise. Should I keep at it with the 3kg dumpbells for a bit or up the weight or the number of reps?

Also am I ok to continue cardio on the day after strength training or should I take an official rest day. I really love running and don't want to cutback but there's not enough time in the week to do everything!

Any advise much appreciated :)

Replies

• JMoore221979
    Options
    You are basically doing a circuit for full body it seems. You could go heavier or more reps up to you. Another is to break body parts down by day and pick 4-5 things for each body part. How many days do you workout?
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Oh and you can do cardio the same day if you like and the next. The only time I stay away from cardio is after I get done with legs or the day after a heavy leg day.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    first off they are "dumbbells" not dumpbells. lol.

Weight will give you bulk and reps will definition.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Totally untrue....
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You should not necessarily be using the same weight for all those different exercises. The rule of thumb is that it should be difficult to do about 8 reps with the 10th-12th becoming very hard (but possible) to complete. Once you can more easily do 10 reps, it's time to up the weight. Best of luck!
  • PurplePogoPunk
    PurplePogoPunk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I currently workout 5 days a week but only for about 1/2 hour or so, working up to longer slowly as I still need to drop a lot of weight

I guess I'm looking for definition rather that bulk so I'll try more reps I guess
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Up the weight for sure.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have certain days. Leg day, Bum Day, Arm and Shoulder day etc. Maybe that would work better for you?
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Bulk is mainly based on how you eat. Like the previous poster said keep it in the 8-10 range...even large guys use that rule. Power lifters are the ones you see doing reps under 5. With the short amount of time you have what I would do is setup workouts for each individual day and once you can finish that workout in say 30 minutes add to it and keep trying to get through the workout in said time.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

ummm....no sir
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this... its completely untrue. I have been lifting for 3 months now. I do 10-12 reps with different size weights for each exercise. But for example, I use 15 lbs for bicep exercises. I am not "bulky." if you want to be stronger, up the weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

ummm....no sir

Well, the first part is true...

...but yeah, the second part, bogus (although I can remember when this was popularly said in the 80s)
  • katnkitn06
    Options
    Interesting, I had always heard that 20 reps was the goal and at that point you would increase weight.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this... its completely untrue. I have been lifting for 3 months now. I do 10-12 reps with different size weights for each exercise. But for example, I use 15 lbs for bicep exercises. I am not "bulky." if you want to be stronger, up the weight.

I would say up the weight to where you fatigue at 6-8 reps.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I had always heard that 20 reps was the goal and at that point you would increase weight.

At 20 reps, it's practically a cardio exercise, not strength training.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

workaholics-no.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

20 reps?

ANGTFT
  • PurplePogoPunk
    PurplePogoPunk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :)

I'm going to research some new dumbbells, maybe get some adjustable ones so I can up the weight as I go. I'd read women should start around 1.5kg so thought I might be a freak for lifting a lot heavier!

And at least I learnt to spell dumbbells right now lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

At 20 reps, it's practically a cardio exercise, not strength training.

LOL tell Tom Platz that

regularly threw in a 6 week 20 rep squat program- and his legs are arguably the best in the business- and he isn't even in the business any more
    I'd read women should start around 1.5kg so thought I might be a freak for lifting a lot heavier!

women should start at a weight they can lift but not easily.
    same with men.

3 pounds of weights isn't much- I mean- a gallon of milk weighs more- so does a child- like significantly more- we'd be in real trouble of if women lifting more than 5 lbs were freaks of nature.

The human body is an amazing thing- the top female squatters are hitting in the 500-600 lbs range. trust me- you can handle 5 lbs!!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :)

I'm going to research some new dumbbells, maybe get some adjustable ones so I can up the weight as I go. I'd read women should start around 1.5kg so thought I might be a freak for lifting a lot heavier!

There is no such thing as "where women should start". Women should train like men. Any exercise that is good for a man, is good for a woman. Lift heavy. Add weight. Add more weight. Enjoy results. Add more weight. Look like a sexy beast. Add more weight. Don't worry, you still won't grow a penis.