What's with the shakes?

Options
13»

Replies

• Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    270+ per day for me. 2 shakes but I start the morning with 10 egg whites so I get 50 right there. 2-3 chicken breasts a day. You can do it with food for that level just go to egg whites or eggs that is the cheapest way. I get mine at Costco and its pretty cheap to get them there.
    I don't believe this quite addresses her limited budget, no? Even the carton of egg whites is "too expensive" in my book. Perhaps I should send out survey for "annual income prior to taxing" before I post my comment. :laugh:

But seriously, beans are the way to go. Filled with loads of protein and are incredibly inexpensive.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I have 2 shakes a day, one post workout and one before bed.. Just a preference, and also I have the best tasting whey's ever :P
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, turkey, almonds, protein bars, fish, There's lots of ways to get protein aside from shakes, I use them right after my workout not the whole day.

Those things either cost a lot of money (I get $25 a week for food maximum) or don't give much protein. :/ I want something that will give me 60g of protein for 300 calories and it just doesn't exist outside of science and fat wallets. :/

Google seitan? Someone posted about it and it's on my to try list. 75g of protein per 370 calorie serving.

I thought the protein requirement was 0.8g per lb of lean body mass. So estimate your fat % from one of those pictorials on the interwebs and the calculation is something like:

(100% - 30% body fat) * 158lb * 0.8 = 88g of protein per day. Maybe that's the bare minimum or something, dunno.

I have a shake but only use it occasionally. To get more protein I decided to keep it simple and just double the serving size of protein rich sources I was already eating. My typical protein sources are sausage, eggs, chicken (thighs for taste and cheapness!), ground turkey, beans. Please hang in there and know that with protein, the sources can add up throughout the day. Just keep trying the different options and see what happens. I'm not yet consistently hitting my protein goals but I do what I can. My biggest interest in protein is that it can help keep me fully longer and therefore more consistently hit my calorie goals.

PS: I just noticed yesterday that a mini snickers blizzard has 8g of protein. :smile:
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes as snacks and post-run workouts.

I need to chew my main meals.
    I ate nutritionally balanced meals but I never came close to my protein goals before I got my shakes.

^ Me. Right here. I eat pretty well (I have bad days of course, but I'd rather eat a bad day then listen to the mother threaten to kick me out for a week,) but I get MAYBE 30g of protein a day when I'm aiming for 100-125g.

Ditto to this. Protein shake as a post-run or snack (chocolate flavor sometimes helps stave a craving for sweets).

Also, protein on a limited budget is helped by some stockpiling at a warehouse store like Costco/Sam's Club. My friend lets me tag along on her membership and I big bags of frozen chicken breast and fish (tilapia is the cheapest, but sometimes I spring for salmon).
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I eat 150+ grams of protein per day and don't touch protein shakes. I get it all from chicken, beef, cheese, milk, etc

This.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I got a 10 dollar protein powder with 14 servings inside, so that's 71 cents for 20g of protein. Not bad. I just hope I didn't buy a canister of breast cancer. I've always been afraid of these shakes because rumor has it they give you breast cancer.

I don't want that...