Any Overcoming Sitting Disease Success Stories (no kidding)

NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Sitting Disease? Doesn't that sound dumb? Well, I was reading an article the other day and it kinda shook me awake a bit...it was called:

6 Unhealthy Habits that Are as Bad as Smoking...the number one thing said this:
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/6-unhealthy-habits-bad-smoking-170500236.html

#1: Sitting all day.
Even if you exercise regularly, habitually sitting for prolonged periods, whether at a desk or in a car, is being increasingly linked to a variety of health problems. According to Alberta Health Services-Cancer Care in Canada, inactivity is linked to nearly 160,000 cases of breast, colon, prostate, and lung cancer every year, about two-thirds as many cancer cases caused by smoking.

Now, I don't have a clue if these "studies" are accurate or not...but I do know that my sitting so much isn't good for me. So, I did a bit more research and found this:

Do You Have Sitting Disease?:noway:
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/do-you-have-sitting-disease

Wow! That inspired me to come here to ask you winners (who have made it your business to purposely get off y/our duff more and move more than you sit everyday to get the weight off and make yourself more active and less sedentary) who have or are winning the battle of "Sitting Disease" to see what you've done or are doing to help you no longer be sedentary and thus help you lose weight and keep it off. I know this sounds like a silly topic, but it's REAL and it may be causing many of us to not lose the weight as we could or should. So, if you will kindly reply with ANY of your success stories/overcoming sitting on your behind all the time, I'd greatly appreciate it and I think it will help many others too!

Thanks in advance for your replies! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    I have it !!!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    I have it....how do I live with myself now? :cry:
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    I definitely have this (even though I try to go to the gym pretty much every day at lunch time - that at least breaks up my prolonged sitting). I have thought about getting a treadmill to have at the office, and I know my office would allow me to do it - but I would need one that is super quiet, and since I don't have a standing desk (THAT would be cool!), the only time I'd really use it was when I was on the phone and didn't need to be typing, so it seems like it wouldn't be that helpful.

I have heard of people getting those big exercise balls and using that instead of a chair at their desks - that, at least, would keep your core engaged, even if you are technically sitting.

A trick I used to use (although it's faded away from my life - this makes me think I should bring it back) was to set my "notifications" in Outlook to send me a POPUP every 15 minutes to remind me to stretch and drink water. I often ignored it, but sometimes I didn't - and sometimes is better than nothing - right?!
  • jdr999
    jdr999 Posts: 2 Member
    Yes, I have it also. I've spent most of my life in front of a computer screen.. :noway:

Years ago I did transition to a standing desk which I liked but it wasn't enough. I'm now using a Lifespan treadmill desk and usually spend 2+ hours a day walking while working and surfing. Heck, I was going to be in front of the computer anyway so why not?

With the treadmill desk I don't have to find extra time during my day to keep moving - I can do it while I'm doing something else and don't even notice the miles ticking by :smile:
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    I'm slowly trying to win. First thing was I got a Fitbit. I realized that on a normal day I actually walked less than 1000 steps.

So I decided to stop calling if I could get up and talk face to face instead. I did that and my steps jumped to 5000 a day. Then I worked on getting them to 7500 everyday. Then 10 flights of stairs.
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Get a fitbit. Or any pedometer, but the fitbit's the most fun and motivating and easy one I've had. Makes it easy to work up your activity level and see what you're actually doing outside of actual "official" exercise time... you devise all sorts of ways to get more steps while at work -- I go up and down the stairs an extra time each time (it's a short flight), and use the washroom down a flight of stairs instead of the one next to my office... walk down the hall to talk to someone instead of calling... and, on the days I can actually fit (any of) this in, I'll do the thing where I set a reminder timer and once an hour I'll get up and do a walkabout (I work in a Museum so I can head out of our offices for a 5 minute walk through, or, sometimes 5 minutes around the parking lot outside.)

After a while you just start automatically sneaking in extra bits of movement, and it feels good

I have one of those ball office chairs, and I love it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I definitely have this (even though I try to go to the gym pretty much every day at lunch time - that at least breaks up my prolonged sitting). I have thought about getting a treadmill to have at the office, and I know my office would allow me to do it - but I would need one that is super quiet, and since I don't have a standing desk (THAT would be cool!), the only time I'd really use it was when I was on the phone and didn't need to be typing, so it seems like it wouldn't be that helpful.

I have heard of people getting those big exercise balls and using that instead of a chair at their desks - that, at least, would keep your core engaged, even if you are technically sitting.

A trick I used to use (although it's faded away from my life - this makes me think I should bring it back) was to set my "notifications" in Outlook to send me a POPUP every 15 minutes to remind me to stretch and drink water. I often ignored it, but sometimes I didn't - and sometimes is better than nothing - right?!

Yay! Thanks for posting this! I have one of those balls...I use it sometime (not nearly enough) for exercising...but hadn't thought of using it for regular sitting--thanks for mentioning this. Also...DUH!!! I never thought of setting a timer to have me stretch in 15 or so minutes increments throughout the day, that''s another tremendous idea. Thanks ever so much for posting!
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    I'll also agree with getting a Fitbit - it was a huge motivator for me! I was totally in the the go to work, sit for 8 hours, take the elevator everywhere, come home and sit in front of the computer/tv routine before I got my Fitbit. I went from ~2000 steps a day to now regularly getting 11-15K steps a day. I make sure I get up from my desk and walk around every couple hours or so, I take the long way everywhere in my office, etc. I've also added exercising before work and walking/C25K training after work.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Get a fitbit. Or any pedometer, but the fitbit's the most fun and motivating and easy one I've had. Makes it easy to work up your activity level and see what you're actually doing outside of actual "official" exercise time... you devise all sorts of ways to get more steps while at work -- I go up and down the stairs an extra time each time (it's a short flight), and use the washroom down a flight of stairs instead of the one next to my office... walk down the hall to talk to someone instead of calling... and, on the days I can actually fit (any of) this in, I'll do the thing where I set a reminder timer and once an hour I'll get up and do a walkabout (I work in a Museum so I can head out of our offices for a 5 minute walk through, or, sometimes 5 minutes around the parking lot outside.)

After a while you just start automatically sneaking in extra bits of movement, and it feels good

I have one of those ball office chairs, and I love it.

Ha, nice! I work in a museum too and I do laps around the floor during the day, all while weaving in and out of groups! :happy:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    I'm pretty sure I have this. I work an office job and when I come home, I'm sitting most of the time. What I try to do is take breaks and walk around and stretch for a bit. I'll find excuses to go to the mailbox, etc lol. I think I should probably up this now =/
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Working in an office, and even when I'm at home, I try to get up every hour or hour and a half or so and do something. Squats, lunges, triceps dips on the chair, desk pushups, etc. Or go for a brisk walk, do some stairs. It's a good way to get some light weight work in, and get the blood pumping and stop sitting for a while.
  • Although I work out 5-6 days a week, and monitor my diet, I am still someone who sits at a desk from 8:30am to 5:00pm (at the earliest) Monday to Friday. However, I have done a few things to battle this as well! The first thing I did was share the article I read (I beieve the article was in Runner's World where I read it that stated "Sitting is the new Smoking") with the entire office; I made everyone aware! This is where I may be lucky, most of the people I work with are health conscious and were amazed by the information that was included in the article. This didn't necessarily change the fact we all sat behind the desk everyday, but, it did make everyone aware. As for action; I changed a couple of my daily activities during the day. I used to park in the parking lot across the street; now, I park in the parkade that is four blocks away; I have a Fitbit that tracks my steps; and where before I would maybe have 400 steps to my day when I sat down to start my day, I now had 2000 to 2500. Sure, i have to arrive 20 minutes earlier, but I find the walk makes me more awake in the morning. This also gives me an extra 1500-2000 steps at the end of the day as well! As well, I have a gym that is a few blocks from my office; I luckly have short hair, so I sometimes walk down to the gym and go for a quick swim in the pool at lunch time, while another one of my associates walks at lunch. As for during the day and just stepping away from the desk for a few minutes; I am up on the 14th floor; but a lot of activities we have to do throughout the day require going to other floors, or leaving the basement. Any time I go down floors, I ALWAYS take the stairs down, and if I don't have a high climb up, I will take them up as well. I don't tend to take them up the entire 14 floors as I tend to sweat a lot and the times I have taken the entire 14 up, I have a been a sweaty mess at my desk for a time after! haha.

Anyways, those are some of the things I do throughout the day to stay active and keep moving; hopefully you can implement some yourself, or these inspire your own ideas to keep moving!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Yes, I have it also. I've spent most of my life in front of a computer screen.. :noway:

Years ago I did transition to a standing desk which I liked but it wasn't enough. I'm now using a Lifespan treadmill desk and usually spend 2+ hours a day walking while working and surfing. Heck, I was going to be in front of the computer anyway so why not?

With the treadmill desk I don't have to find extra time during my day to keep moving - I can do it while I'm doing something else and don't even notice the miles ticking by :smile:

Wow...Lifespan treadmill desk?!? How cool does that sound? I'm going to have to check that out FOR SURE! Thanks so much for posting too!
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    I have it. I do have a desk I can stand at now, so I do stand part of the time. I also make sure to get up at least every hour. I have to exercise after work or I am uncomfortably stiff from sitting so long..
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    I definitely have it. This may sound silly, but while I'm at my desk working, I will kind of dance a little in my chair, especially when I have good music on and I try to also sit up straight and suck in my gut here and there. Every single time I go to the bathroom (I have a single person bathroom so this is easy to do without feeling weird) I do at least 20 squats and 10 wall pushups, so I usually get about 100 to 120 squats in a day and half of that in wall pushups. If I walk to the copier I will sometimes lunge walk to the copier (depends on who is in the office since I really don't want people seeing me do these silly things). While I'm waiting for my coffee to warm up in the microwave I will do jumping jacks for the 30 seconds or so. And then finally, I spend my lunch hour 3x a week at the gym doing my heavy lifting. I hope some of these things will combat the hours I sit on my duff.
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Yes I have the dreaded disease but am almost in remission. I sit at a desk 8-5 M-F so I have to trick my body into moving. Luckily I have to walk down the stairs to refill my water bottle 4x a day. Every time I do that I walk 5 laps around our conference room tables. That adds about 1000 or so more steps in my day. I walk up and down 17 stairs each time. When I am at home I walk in place and do squats while watching my DVR for about an hour also. Every little bit helps. On the weekends I walk about 5 miles each day doing different things plus using my treadmill.
    I tried the exercise ball at work but my desk is too high. Or maybe I need a much bigger exercise ball? Either way I looked like a midget sitting thereat my desk with my hands up like the ape hanger motorcycle riders do.:laugh:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I'm slowly trying to win. First thing was I got a Fitbit. I realized that on a normal day I actually walked less than 1000 steps.

So I decided to stop calling if I could get up and talk face to face instead. I did that and my steps jumped to 5000 a day. Then I worked on getting them to 7500 everyday. Then 10 flights of stairs.

How fabulous of you...thanks so much for posting. :drinker: I saw a fitbit just yesterday and I've been talking about getting one for a couple of years now--but that tiny thing, with the big price...I keep passing it up.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    oh i so have it. i am a sahm, and i crochet for my business, so i sit wayyyy too much.
  • umeda
    umeda Posts: 3 Member
    So last week I ordered the following end table from amazon and laid it on top of my office desk. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBA2PO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is big enough to fit my laptop, a stand with a monitor on top, and mouse pad with mouse. I've been working while standing. And it has been working out great for me. My back doesn't hurt as much and I can take a few steps back and then to the front when I am reading a printout, talking on the phone, or whatever that doesn't require me to stand in front of my computer screens.

Cost me about $50! A table and a anti-fatigue mat.

Try it!
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member

Yay! Thanks for posting this! I have one of those balls...I use it sometime (not nearly enough) for exercising...but hadn't thought of using it for regular sitting--thanks for mentioning this. Also...DUH!!! I never thought of setting a timer to have me stretch in 15 or so minutes increments throughout the day, that''s another tremendous idea. Thanks ever so much for posting!
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I have one of those balls too. Now to find it, inflate it and use it. Thanks for the idea!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!