Any Overcoming Sitting Disease Success Stories (no kidding)

Options
124»

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Jealous of you treadmill deskers! hehe. Does anyone want to recommend any particular treadmill desks or treadmills that work well with desks? Someday I'd love to have one, but definitely curious which brands may be better and/or lower cost than others. I saw an adjustable height desk at a furniture store the other day but it was almost $800!

Great thread with lots of great info, thanks all!

I got the Lifespan 1200, which IS expensive BUT:

1)it's built to be a walking treadmill, so it has a tiny motor designed to go for hours and hours at a slow speed. (In my case, btw 4-6 hours a day at 2.0 miles an hour.) Bigger, hardcore treadmills are designed to go faster for much less time. So you CAN burn out the motor on a bigger treadmill.

2)It's designed to be a desk. And it's a big, awesome, sturdy desk at that. No problem putting my Macbook and a giant 27" screen on here, with room left over for the papers I'm letting pile up.

3)It's easy to adjust to the proper height. This is IMPORTANT. Please take the ergonomics of your work setup seriously!

4)I'm not crafty. I'm not the person who buys the clothes-hanger treadmill off someone on Craigslist and then whips up a desk to go over it. If I had to rely on my carpentry skills for anything, I would have died 20+ years ago of starvation. And I wouldn't have walked the couple of hundred miles I've walked since January.

5)Lifespan has TERRIFIC customer service. I'm not affiliated with them or getting kickbacks, I'm simply thrilled with them.

:drinker:
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill desk but I have a "bicycle" underneath my desk. Basically its just the pedals on a stand, but I love this thing! It was 20 bucks on amazon and fits right under my desk. I can pedal all day long and work at the same time.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill desk but I have a "bicycle" underneath my desk. Basically its just the pedals on a stand, but I love this thing! It was 20 bucks on amazon and fits right under my desk. I can pedal all day long and work at the same time.

Wow...that is ultra cool and I want one too!
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Its pretty awesome! If nothing else it gets the blood moving!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Things I have done to combat long periods of sitting (I have a desk job) -

1. Use the kitchen and bathroom on the next floor down

2. I exercise on my breaks and lunch - 10 - 15 min at a time - I do bodyweight exercises and non-jumping cardio, and I keep a resistance band and little kettlebell (7 lb) in my desk

3. I have to be on a lot of conference calls so I stand through all of them and do something - how strenuous depends on whether I have to talk or I'm just listening.

4. My husband and I like to play PC games for most of the day when weather is bad, now I set a reminder on my phone to get up every hour and exercise for a few minutes - 100 jumping jacks, 10 min of step aerobics or weight lifting, 20 burpees, etc.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Things I have done to combat long periods of sitting (I have a desk job) -

1. Use the kitchen and bathroom on the next floor down

2. I exercise on my breaks and lunch - 10 - 15 min at a time - I do bodyweight exercises and non-jumping cardio, and I keep a resistance band and little kettlebell (7 lb) in my desk

3. I have to be on a lot of conference calls so I stand through all of them and do something - how strenuous depends on whether I have to talk or I'm just listening.

4. My husband and I like to play PC games for most of the day when weather is bad, now I set a reminder on my phone to get up every hour and exercise for a few minutes - 100 jumping jacks, 10 min of step aerobics or weight lifting, 20 burpees, etc.

These are tremendous things and thanks so much for posting and giving me some more ideas on how to conquer this dis-ease!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!