What's YOUR secret to maintaining the weight loss?? .

Options
2»

Replies

• Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Its called "Control" not really a secret just common sense
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with some of the previous posts. Logging is key. Before I started MFP, I thought I was eating healthy, but really wasn't. For me seeing what I eat in front of me makes a huge difference. Good luck:-)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    OP, I just peeked at your food diary to see how a 40yo man loses 40lbs in 3 months. If you have been logging everything accurately, 1240cals/day would do it I suppose.

Do you intend to do this long term to maintain your current weight? What is YOUR secret?

And you intend on doing " massive heavy lifting"? That can not be supported on 1240 calories. You will not build muscle. If your intention is to build muscle, you will have to increase your caloric intake. If you increase your caloric intake sufficient to produce muscle, do you think you will be able to not gain additional weight?
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I lost about 100 lbs from heaviest to lightest, also at ~40 years old. I'm 41 now. I have been able to maintain my current weight (well, I have bulked up some on purpose, see exhibit A to the left <-- :) ), by attending the church of iron regularly, and doing cardio. Basically, I don't eat crap, and I continue to work out.

Proper, healthy weight loss is a lifestyle change. You have to stay committed to it.

Oh, and I also became a Personal Trainer. That helps too. You can't preach it unless you practice it. I'm addicted to being bigger, stronger, faster, fitter, etc. Love it.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    OP, I just peeked at your food diary to see how a 40yo man loses 40lbs in 3 months. If you have been logging everything accurately, 1240cals/day would do it I suppose.

Do you intend to do this long term to maintain your current weight? What is YOUR secret?

And you intend on doing " massive heavy lifting"? That can not be supported on 1240 calories. You will not build muscle. If your intention is to build muscle, you will have to increase your caloric intake. If you increase your caloric intake sufficient to produce muscle, do you think you will be able to not gain additional weight?

I totally agree, I have been mentally arguing with myself about this very subject.....that being said, I must admit that I dont log properly every day....on the 1200 calorie days I do, but I have started giving myself 1 or 2 days a week to refeed and I am not nearly as vigilant about logging on a cheat day-so its not as strict as it looks. I really want to lose the last 5 pounds before really getting serious about adding muscle since "you cant build muscle on a deficit" and I really want that last 5 pounds gone off of my stomach. I plan on maintaining/building muscle on about 1800 to 2000 calories, maybe more but I am going to take it slow and figure out what works. I am pretty pumped (literally) about what muscle I do have considering the calorie restriction....I know its not possible to build without the proper calories but I guess the cutting of fat makes it look like I have? If nothing else, the heavy lifting and lots of protein has helped keep what I do have. ;-)