Dealing with Gym Jerks? How do you handle it?

Options
I have a question to ask those that have been going to the gym and have more experience with dealing day in and day out with people there.

I go to a small gym that is 24 hours. Due to schedules with my job, wife, and kids daycare, I can only go to the gym between 5 and 6ish pm every day. Each day during that time there are 3 college kids that show up and hog all the weights I use, all the equipment I use, and tend to just stand around chit chatting instead of working out. They talk loud enough that I can hear them over they heavy metal music on my earphones.

The first couple times this happened, I would try to do other exercises while they finished what they are doing. This didn't work because I wouldn't get anytime on that equipment I needed to use. I tried to ask if I can work in my sets and they always say, 'we are in the middle of this and we will be done when we're done" and given flat looks for interupting their workout. I finally gave up and brought it up with the club manager and the club owner and they say I need to get along with them. I usually get the feeling that they are friends with the club manager so he doesn't say anything to them when they take over the equipment and weights like this.

I finally got fed up a month ago and blew up at the 3 of them for not getting their work done and hogging the equipment. That promptly got me a phone call from the club owner for not trying to work it out calmly.

Yesterday, i was running on the elliptical for my normal 35 min and at min 21, they walked in and took over the butterfly chest machine i use. The 3 of them then stood around and did 1 set a piece between themselves while they talked loud enough that I can hear them over the music in my headphones. They just sat around at this machine for almost 15 min talking to each other instead of working out. When I finished my elliptical workout and they happened to walked away from the machine for a minute, i jumped on it to get my stuff done. I got ugly looks from them for taking it over without asking but I was frustrated by then.

How do the folks that have more experience with gym etiquette and dealing with people like this handle it? I know I shouldn't lose my temper or get frustrated. I can do other workouts till they are ready but seems like these guys are young and don't really care to show any other of the gyms members any respect for what they are trying to do. I'm there to work hard, get my stuff done and get out to get my kid from daycare before it closes. I don't have time to wait around for these 3 jerks to do their thing. I've also tried to be patient with them but my patience is wearing very thin.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sounds impossible. Guys sometimes linger and socialize in the gym. But then, they definitely should let you work in. Maybe you just have to find another gym.
    And, write the owner or manager a letter, carefully detailing why you are leaving, with specifics (guys spent 15 minutes on this machine on this date, not working; and people need to be able to come in and get their workouts done in a reasonable amount of time.) Let them know that you are going to go out of your way, every time you get a chance, to dissuade others from joining their gym. You'd be burning your bridges there. But who cares? If you cannot get what you want out of a gym, it is not the place for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Sounds impossible. People sometimes linger and socialize in the gym. But then, they definitely should let you work in. Maybe you just have to find another gym.
    And, write the owner or manager a letter, carefully detailing why you are leaving, with specifics (guys spent 15 minutes on this machine on this date, not working; and people need to be able to come in and get their workouts done in a reasonable amount of time.) Let them know that you are going to go out of your way, every time you get a chance, to dissuade others from joining their gym. You'd be burning your bridges there. But who cares? If you cannot get what you want out of a gym, it is not the place for you.

Fixed.
  • stryder77
    stryder77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    well as much as I want to leave, i'm tied into a contract with them till next year. I have to find a way around these guys till i can pay to get out of the contract or find someone to take it over.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would suggest they are all acting so macho as there are three of them. I expect there are other people around the gym who think the same as you. Is there anyone you can buddy up with and play them at there own game? Or even get your buddy to complain to the manager, he might take more action if he knows that a few members are getting cheesed off with them.
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What about changing up your weight training and going to more free-weights and dumbbells? I personally think you will see better results than using a machine.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your goals are, but I would suggesting using the cardio machines after lifting weights. From your example above, you could have had 30 minutes of lifting in peace.

Personally, I never do cardio before lifting because it makes me too tired and lifting is more important to me than cardo. I will, however, do some walking after lifting if I have time.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thanks, RG. I was using "guys" as an inclusive term. Did not mean to imply it was exclusively male.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    What about changing up your weight training and going to more free-weights and dumbbells? I personally think you will see better results than using a machine.

This also. I don't have a clue how to use most of the machines and I have been at this for a while. Stick with dumbbells and barbells.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Learn new exercises, so you're not married to certain machines. Besides, the butterfly machine isn't the best choice if your goal is fat loss or functional strength.
    Also, do weights before cardio. It's generally better. :wink:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks, RG. I was using "guys" as an inclusive term. Did not mean to imply it was exclusively male.

It's all good, I had a solid LOL over it. At my facility, the "ladies" do all of the socializing, standing over equipment, and talk so loud I can hear them over my headphones.
  • stryder77
    stryder77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've always done my cardio first. I'm just used to doing it that way.

As for new exercises, i tend to do several different free weights and machines. This is a small gym and they only have one pair of 30lb weights, 35lb weights, etc. They only have 1 straight bench and 3 adjustable.

From what y'all are saying though is to switch gyms some how. I haven't seen any other solutions as to how to deal with them.

Without highjacking the thread, why do weights before cardio? the trainer i went to said it didn't really matter since i'm doing HIIT (high intensity interval training.) Getting my heart rate up from cardio before my weights makes it easier to keep my heart rate up while i lift. My heart rate also stays high well after i'm done for the day.

I'm also seeing good results from how I'm currently doing it so I don't want to change too much till i have to. I'm mostly trying to address how to deal with these 3 college jerks that apparently only go to this gym to bull**** instead of do any real work.

Thanks.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would try talking with them and ask if you can work a set during their rest... BS I know but atleast they get the hint nicely that they need to hurry the f up. I agree with everyone to go with free weights and dumbbells but sometimes people hog up those too.

I should take my own advice though, I still have trouble dealing with this:

c5dfb5fd1c6938d7d3c6d84cab6a5f75.jpg
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd try to have another talk with the gym manager and/or owner in a calm, clear manner (maybe even write all our points down and bring that with you to the meeting so you have soemthing to go by and something to give them as well). Be clear that you have tried to politely ask to work in with these guys and they refused and this is why you finally blew up. You pay dues just like they do and have a right to use the machines. Maybe even site the rules if that helps. And if a resolution can't be found, you'd like to be able to quit without penalties.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I'd try to have another talk with the gym manager and/or owner in a calm, clear manner (maybe even write all our points down and bring that with you to the meeting so you have soemthing to go by and something to give them as well). Be clear that you have tried to politely ask to work in with these guys and they refused and this is why you finally blew up. You pay dues just like they do and have a right to use the machines. Maybe even site the rules if that helps. And if a resolution can't be found, you'd like to be able to quit without penalties.

Great advice
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is be confident in yourself in which will show confidence and appreciation to others in the gym.....don't complain to the owner....change your routine just because of someone else....write a letter....it will get you no where.......

If you have to use equipment in which someone else is "using" simply approach them and ask how many more reps. This provides you witha time estimate so you can move to other equipment depending how many more they have AND it makes them aware that someone is in line waiting to use the equipment.

It's that simple...disregard your history with them and apply the above.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I would try talking with them and ask if you can work a set during their rest... BS I know but atleast they get the hint nicely that they need to hurry the f up. I agree with everyone to go with free weights and dumbbells but sometimes people hog up those too.

I just saw this the other day in my gym.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    well as much as I want to leave, i'm tied into a contract with them till next year. I have to find a way around these guys till i can pay to get out of the contract or find someone to take it over.
    I would go to the owner and say that while I agree that I shouldn't have lost my cool, it's a real problem. I'd say: "I should have come to you first. Well, I'm here now. What can you do?'

If he isn't helpful, I'd tell him that since you aren't getting full use of it, you would like to end the contract. If he says no, there's always small claims court. That and blistering online reviews plastered from A to Yelp.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I would say turn about is fair play.
    take some time off of work, get to the gym early and hug the equipment, do exactly what they do to you,
    and let them say something to you.

The other route, is to say this.
    Look I think we got off on the wrong foot, we both belong here and I need access to the equipment just as much as you do.
    We can either play nice, or I can be an *kitten* too, I get here early and just hug the equipment just like you do.
    and bull **** around, just like you do.. its a social hall. Its up to you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I just saw this the other day in my gym.

Makes me angry beyond belief. I went to my gym super early in the AM and two jerks were curling in both squat racks like it was normal. They would rest for 5 minutes then start curling again. I know I could do something else but still... no curling in the squat rack!!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Is it like 24 Hour Fitness where you can go to another gym in the area? What about working out after the kids go to bed? Before? Is there really no other time you can workout?