Does it matter what you eat?

Options
Does it matter what you eat as long as your under your calorie goal??
Im so confused...
And please no smartass replies...

Replies

• viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    In short, no. You can eat twinkies all day and still lose weight.

BUT, if health is a bigger priority then just losing weight, then yes, it matters.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. Your body metabolizes different "macros" differently which means that they provide energy to your body at varying speed and intensities (sugar high vs that rib sticking feeling of over-indulging in something greasy).

Furthermore, your body needs a healthy supply of micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc.).

So yeah... kinda matters
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you ask....

But I believe it does not matter, you will lose weight.

Now do you want to just eat junk food your whole life? No .. that's probably not healthy. But as long as you have a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, protein, fiber, etc ... there is no reason to not eat ice cream, fast food, soda, etc.

It's all about moderation. You will still lose weight if you eat a bag of chips every day as long as you don't go over your calorie goal.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    For weight loss only, no, not really.

When goals get more specific, like for training and body composition, macronutrient ratios (fat, protein and carbohydrates) make more of an impact. But still, the source of those macros isn't really a huge deal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great post here from a guy who was "eating clean" and got fatter. He started eating Subway and ice cream and lost the fat. http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-clean-eating-made-me-fat-but-ice-cream-and-subway-got-me-lean/

The difference - calories in/calories out, but also what we eat does matter to a certain extent - hitting those macro targets to get the proper amount of carbs/fat/protein can make a big difference as well, and it's also addressed in the post. It's a good read.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    In my experience, no. It's good to get in a lot of veg, fruit, lean meats etc from a nutritional point of view. But I have ice cream every day, and fit plenty of other treats into my week and it hasn't affected my weight loss. I try to eat "healthy" foods because that means I can eat more and I do feel better because of it, but as long as you're under your calorie goal you should be losing weight.
  • Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    No. I have lost a lot of weight whilst still eating some utter rubbish...it's not big, its not clever. but it makes no difference to weightloss. I have lost the same amount of weight eating clean. However eating better certainly made me feel better whilst losing weight and you can usually eat bigger quantities of good stuff so you feel fuller e.g fruit and veg yum!
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    Options
    P.S. Losing "weight" is a dumb term that I wish would die away. Reducing body fat percentage is more apt.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Well yes. You need to eat healthy.
  • fitnessbabe90
    Options
    Yes and no. Moderation is the key.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    for weight loss, no..

for body recomp/gaining muscle = yes..

depends on what your goals are..

but at the end of the day a calorie is a calorie, is a calorie...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There are going to be many, many people who tell you it doesn't matter. But for me, it absolutely does matter what I eat. Micronutrients and food quality do matter. But maybe not for you. Why not experiment? Hopefully you haven't been fooled by the "fat is bad" propaganda either. Fat is a necessary macro and it is delicious and satiating.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes! It does!

With that said this is also not suppose to be thought of as a "diet" but something you can keep up long term. Can you go the rest of your life eating lean protien, fruits, veggies and water (etc)? I can't.

All In MODERATION :-)
  • mrsfeldt
    mrsfeldt Posts: 2
    Options
    I tend to believe that while there are plenty of discussions out there about a calorie being a calories, that whole, healthy foods are what you should be choosing most of the time. Clean eating is easier for our body to digest...and it provides the most nutritional bang for your buck. For instance, a 500-calorie bowl of pasta doesn't do the same thing that 500 calories of veggies, fruit and lean meats do. Yes, you may lose weight by cutting back calories and eating processed food, but there's so much more to health than simply a low weight.
  • MissKimi22
    Options
    I mean im not gonna eat junk all day but if i eat a small bag of chips for a quick snack is it going to hurt my diet?
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. Your body metabolizes different "macros" differently which means that they provide energy to your body at varying speed and intensities (sugar high vs that rib sticking feeling of over-indulging in something greasy).

Furthermore, your body needs a healthy supply of micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc.).

So yeah... kinda matters

^This^
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    Options
    I mean im not gonna eat junk all day but if i eat a small bag of chips for a quick snack is it going to hurt my diet?

No.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

So yeah... kinda matters

^This^

naw...

To lose weight (which most people want) it's about calories in vs calories out...simple easy.

For health the types of food is important.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It doesn't actually matter so far as weight loss.
    But it does so far as your health and nutrition.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Not if you account for its calories (and macros if you're a healthy).