Does it matter what you eat?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It matters, yes, but not necessarily for weight loss (within "normal"/non-extreme scenarios). Weight loss is a fairly simple mathematical calculation. Health, however, is far more nuanced.

However, I don't believe it matters for health in the way that many think it does (and will no doubt be in this thread preaching it to the masses). For example, there is nothing magical about a beef patty from a high-end grocery store compared to a beef patty from McDonald's...(and this is from a guy who sources most of his meat from local, free range/grass-fed farming producers).

I'll leave my opinions on the particulars alone for now and go pop some popcorn for the rest of this thread.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight eating good meals and rubbish snacks
    I love crisps (well corn snacks) and candy bars but I made sure they fit in.

I had pizza loads because Italian style is actually not that bad.

I could not 'eat clean' I am a filthy dirty girl and happy that way!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    P.S. Losing "weight" is a dumb term that I wish would die away. Reducing body fat percentage is more apt.

Only for those interested in body composistion not for those who only care about the scale number.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    In short, no. You can eat twinkies all day and still lose weight.

BUT, if health is a bigger priority then just losing weight, then yes, it matters.

She is totally right, and everyone on here is on spot....it's better to be healthy plus you don't want to be a yo-yo, you want to go from weight loss to maintaining weight, so picking up on healthy eating habits is much better.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I mean im not gonna eat junk all day but if i eat a small bag of chips for a quick snack is it going to hurt my diet?
    I still eat chips. And cookies, and drink beer and wine, iced coffees with sugar and half & half, and so on. Pizza and cheeseburgers are on the menu almost weekly as well. They fit in my goals, I eat them.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I mean im not gonna eat junk all day but if i eat a small bag of chips for a quick snack is it going to hurt my diet?

all in moderation. if it fits in your nutritional and caloric goals go for it. Just make sure it's not your go to snack.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what you eat as long as your under your calorie goal??
    Im so confused...
    And please no smartass replies...

As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, and you are eating a good variety of protein, carbohydrates, fruits, veggies, and other foods, you will be fine. Technically a person can lose weight eating only one food source, be it Twinkies or carrots, if he stays under the calorie goal, but he won't be very heatlhy either way. As long as you are eating a good variety of food, and enjoying what you eat, and staying under your goals, you'll lose weight, and find it to be sustainable.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    who knows.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I tend to believe that while there are plenty of discussions out there about a calorie being a calories, that whole, healthy foods are what you should be choosing most of the time. Clean eating is easier for our body to digest...and it provides the most nutritional bang for your buck. For instance, a 500-calorie bowl of pasta doesn't do the same thing that 500 calories of veggies, fruit and lean meats do. Yes, you may lose weight by cutting back calories and eating processed food, but there's so much more to health than simply a low weight.

eh, you can get fat eating clean too ....there was an article around here about it somewhere the other day ...

anyway, why can't I have the pasta and the veggies...or make a chicken/pasta/veggie dish?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you'd eat a healthy diet. But for mathematical purposes, no - you'd lose as long as you kept a deficit.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For losing weight as long as you are at a deficit in calories at the end of the day you will lose, but if you want to feel good, a healthy well balanced diet is the way to go - I feel better when I eat more fruit, veg and multigrain/whole wheat foods than I do if I say eat a fast food burger.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I tend to believe that while there are plenty of discussions out there about a calorie being a calories, that whole, healthy foods are what you should be choosing most of the time. Clean eating is easier for our body to digest...and it provides the most nutritional bang for your buck. For instance, a 500-calorie bowl of pasta doesn't do the same thing that 500 calories of veggies, fruit and lean meats do. Yes, you may lose weight by cutting back calories and eating processed food, but there's so much more to health than simply a low weight.

eh, you can get fat eating clean too ....there was an article around here about it somewhere the other day ...

anyway, why can't I have the pasta and the veggies...or make a chicken/pasta/veggie dish?

Agree with this - it's a matter of choice but I would rather have a chicken/pasta/veggie dish than a Big Mac Meal.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    who knows.

:angry: \m/
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm oddly impressed with the number of intelligent replies. It's like... MFP is all growns up today!!!

*warm fuzzies for everyone*
  • Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I posed that exact question to my diabetes educator. I said, what if I chuck my healthy lunch and instead use up all my calories & carbs on a McDonald's cone. She said it was perfectly fine to do it once in a while. She insisted that all the body knows is the calories, nutrients and carbs you take in, not where it came from. But of course she warned me about the dangers of malnutrition if I did it too much.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm oddly impressed with the number of intelligent replies. It's like... MFP is all growns up today!!!

LOL - you're So Rightf! ....this could still go down hill :-)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Well now you've jinxed it.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

FRIENDS!