I abandoned 1200 calories per day, and so should you

Options

Replies

• 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just speaking for myself I started at 1200 but it wasn't sustainable. I was so hungry but then I upped it to 1900. My workouts are better because I have more energy and I'm losing weight.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You do need more calories, you said this yourself!
    Sigh. Yes I do, for a number of reasons.

The problem is you directly linked muscle mass with higher calorie requirements.

I explained why this is factually wrong.

Now you're talking about something different, i.e. my personal TDEE. Which has nothing to do with the amount of calories required by fat vs muscle - the latter is universally applicable.

Your inability to follow a logical line of argument is astonishing. Congratulations.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I found that the only way I could stick with 1200 cal/day was to not eat bread or sweets of any kind, and to eat plenty of fat. Basically following the general guidelines (if not the exact numbers) of a low-carb diet. I would suggest to anybody that if you think your calorie goal is realistic, but it's clearly not enough to keep you from being hungry and/or fatigued, try reducing your carb intake and increasing your fat intake.

I think it's important for everybody to read some different guidelines from different sources. But you have to listen to your body and make adjustments accordingly. Because, ultimately, it doesn't matter how much MFP, USDA, Dr. Oz, or Dr. Atkins know about the human body; they don't know you. Also, they don't have to live with the consequences of their recommendations - you do. So do your research, keep it diverse, decide for yourself what you're gonna try and how you'll make it work for you.

My story (in case you're interested):
    I didn't realize this until after I fell off the wagon completely, couldn't seem to get myself back into it, and started reading about low-carb diets.
    While I was on 1200 cal/day, I lost 15 lbs. That was my greatest success ever. While researching low-carb diets, I studied my food diary from my "successful" diet and found that the days when I met my calorie goal, I had eaten no grains, only 1-2 servings of fruit, and exceeded my allowance of fat. These are the general guidelines of a low-carb diet; and I was following them without realizing it. These days also landed in the weeks with my greatest weight loss. I considered that evidence that a low-carb diet might work for me.

There's a lot of research and debate about low-carb diets; far more than I can summarize (and I don't fully understand all of it myself) so I'm not going to attempt to regurgitate it here. If you're reading recommendations that tell you to eat more carbs, I suggest you also read something by Gary Taubes, and then decide which way you're going to go.

Based on my research and my personal experience, I landed on this:
    Calorie limit: 1500 cal/day. But I don't actually enforce this limit, it's more of a guideline (and MFP doesn't work without a limit). I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied. Most days I find I only need about 1300 cal. to feel satisfied and energized.
    Carb limit: I eat around 50 carb/day. I've found this to be my "sweet spot" - that is, the minimal amount of carbs I need to eat to not feel sick. I typically get that from 1-1.5 servings of fruit, 1 serving of whole milk (i.e. full fat) yogurt, and small amounts that add up from things like vegetables and salad dressing (typically less than 5 g per serving).
    Protein goal: I found some research that indicates that weight loss works best if you consume 0.7 g of protein per lb of lean body weight. I estimated that to be around 88 g per day for me. I really work on getting 616 g per week, because this varies a lot for me from day to day.
    The rest of my calories come from fat.

I avoid: sugar, grains, starchy vegetables. Because those foods just make me hungrier.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

The problem is you directly linked muscle mass with higher calorie requirements.

Now you're talking about something different, i.e. my personal TDEE. Which has nothing to do with the amount of calories required by fat vs muscle - the latter is universally applicable.

Your inability to follow a logical line of argument is astonishing. Congratulations.

My line of argument is simple. You need more calories because you are a body builder. As you have pointed out you only need an extra 60 cals per day versus a higher body fat version of yourself, but this is only when you are resting. Your workouts and metabolism means you can maintain your weight at 800+ more calories than the average woman, and yet I am not allowed to lose weight at 800 calories less than the average woman's maintenance level? This is not logical. You do know what an average is, don't you?
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That was just 1 day out of 3 months of logging. I did only eat a pizza from Pizza Hut because I had been having fun at a Comic Con all day and I didn't fancy the cakes and fries on sale at the event, so I waited until we left.

That day I had worked up a raging appetite, but a single day of what many people would class a mini fast is not going to hurt anyone. As it happens the following day I was ill with a vomiting bug so you could probably criticise that day too! My logging is not spotty, sometimes 'real life' gets in the way - it's not always 100% enjoyment in most peoples' life. Good luck with your perfect life!

Aren't you pleasant. I'm just going to leave it with hangry and go eat ma ice cream. Have fun singing the joys of 1200 calories

Yeah, have fun telling people how to have fun and, you know, enjoy life! Digging around in diet diaries to make personal judgements sounds a right bundle of laughs. Meh...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories.

Three times a day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    The constant butthurt over 1200 calories is irritating though. I don't understand why people defend it so vehemently. Sure, you can lose on 1200 cals. But if you can also lose on 1500, why would you not eat more?

Yes that constant butthurt may be irritating - but so is the flip side: the vehement '1200 is not right for anybody' posts.
    It IS right for some people - those who are older, smaller, less active, or for some reason are on medically supervised lower calorie diets.

I am not say your post was doing this - but there seem to be zealots on both sides of fence to me.
  • Roisindubh32
    Roisindubh32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. This has been working for me. On the days that I exercise, I up my calorie intake and on the days that I am sitting at a desk all day, it's 1200. I will change this up later when I get another 5lbs off, but it's been working since I started 3 weeks ago and I've already lost 4lbs. I am not really aiming for 2lbs per week. That's asking a bit much since my goal is not a huge one.

If it didn't work for you, it doesn't mean it won't work for others. ;)
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options

My line of argument is simple. You need more calories because you are a body builder. As you have pointed out you only need an extra 60 cals per day versus a higher body fat version of yourself, but this is only when you are resting. Your workouts and metabolism means you can maintain your weight at 800+ more calories than the average woman, and yet I am not allowed to lose weight at 800 calories less than the average woman's maintenance level? This is not logical. You do know what an average is, don't you?

You clearly have no idea of the difference between BMR and TDEE. Google is your friend.

I am also NOT a bodybuilder. I am a powerlifter.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    To each his/her own calorie goal, I've been doing 1200 for 3 months and it's working for me.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    That was just 1 day out of 3 months of logging. I did only eat a pizza from Pizza Hut because I had been having fun at a Comic Con all day and I didn't fancy the cakes and fries on sale at the event, so I waited until we left.

That day I had worked up a raging appetite, but a single day of what many people would class a mini fast is not going to hurt anyone. As it happens the following day I was ill with a vomiting bug so you could probably criticise that day too! My logging is not spotty, sometimes 'real life' gets in the way - it's not always 100% enjoyment in most peoples' life. Good luck with your perfect life!

Aren't you pleasant. I'm just going to leave it with hangry and go eat ma ice cream. Have fun singing the joys of 1200 calories

Yeah, have fun telling people how to have fun and, you know, enjoy life! Digging around in diet diaries to make personal judgements sounds a right bundle of laughs. Meh...

Only did so to prove a point because in general I find people who say they maintain 1200 and are soooo happy with it generally you know...Don't. If you're so bothered by it, you can always close your diary. Seems to make you cranky.
  • Madison1Jones
    Options
    I just read something today about how starving yourself will make you hold on to your fat. I believe that! I created my diet myself, and have cut out white bread, fried food, cake and cookies and soda. 0 calorie drinks only. I am eyeballing between 1500-2000 calories a day, along with an ab and squat challenge daily. I am also putting down the food after 8 pm to decrease more snacking and digesting food prior to my morning weight. I too was a little shocked to see the 1200 cal. diet thing. I have lost 6 pounds in three weeks, but my little ticker thing started later, so it is only showing 2. :tongue:
  • spoiledwife2005
    Options
    I am eating 1340 calories a day and burn anywhere between 900-1500 calories a day exercising. I do not eat my exercise calories back and have lost 23 lbs in 11 weeks. Everyone's diet plan will be different
  • vedalewis
    vedalewis Posts: 37
    Options
    To each it's own but I lost alot of weight eating 1200 calories and then all of the sudden I hit a plateau so then I tried decreasing them even more.... But when I started eating more, the weight started dropping back off. Idk if it's because I started doing more cardio exercises or what but I would say do what's best for you :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1340 calories a day and burn anywhere between 900-1500 calories a day exercising. I do not eat my exercise calories back and have lost 23 lbs in 11 weeks. Everyone's diet plan will be different

So you are netting between 440 and minus 160 calories per day??!!

Not a healthy eating plan :noway:
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    To eat 1200 calories, not exercise at all, and expecting to lose 2 lbs per week is simply madness.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

So you are netting between 440 and minus 160 calories per day??!!

Not a healthy eating plan :noway:

3 days a week I net -3000+

Still healthy as anything I am.
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    I definitely agree with many of the replies above. I think it is awesome that you have lost weight! I also think it depends on the person. In general, in order to lose weight, you need your calorie intake to be less than your total daily calories burned.
  • michelleraebaker
    michelleraebaker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just because someone sets there limit at 1200 doesn't actually mean they eat 1200. My limit is set there and eat around 1600 calories per day but am never over my limit because I workout! That's the whole point!

Just because you think it's "right", doesn't mean it's right for anyone else.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right, the title of my post is misleading. I apologize for that. What I'm trying to say is that if 1200 calories per day is *not* working for you, try to up your intake and don't be afraid to do so. Everyone is different and I'm not trying to undermine those who have been successful at 1200 calories.
    If you didn't lose a single pound on 1200 calories then why did you lose weight eating more?