I abandoned 1200 calories per day, and so should you

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So, I'm one of those who has my calories set at 1200 for a 2lb/week loss. I've been doing it now for about 4 months.
    Everyone done hooting and hollering, sharing your opinions with me? K, good.

So. my reasons for this, is that I'm an overeater. I like food, and wine and ice cream. I needed to restrict my calories, learn portion control, try to eat better (less ice cream) and have food not be an issue to me. I know my calories are low. I know it's over 300 less than my "BMR" and I know, with my recent increased exercise, it's really low for my TDEE. So guess what, I don't always stick to it. And that's ok. Because it's not exact. What MFP tells me is my burned and consumed calories (Based on diet and exercise) are not 100% accurate. So I set my daily calories low, knowing I won't always hit that number.

See I don't know the calories in every bite of food I eat. I weigh and measure as much as possible, but I eat out fairly often. I eat at family member's houses, quite often. I go parties and I eat and drink what I want. Some days my calories are over 2000. Most days it's around my "target" of 1200. I always eat back my exercise calories. And when I'm hungry, I eat. And I log my food most days. I am learning to control more, eat more consciously and have treats.

Guess what, I've lost weight. Slow and steady, not 6 lbs of water weight, but about 1lb a week. I work out 4-6 days a week. I run now. I am starting to do more strength workouts. I feel good, strong and healthy.

This has worked for...ME. Not saying it would work for anyone else. But it does for me. And because I am making smarter food choices, 1200 calories is filling for my "daily' life. I eat well, and much more healthier. More fruit and vegetables, as much as possible. Healthier snacks. More protein, less carbs. It works for me.

But it's only been 4 months. I just started to get serious about running and I am always learning. I may try to increase my calorie intake, or change my training or something else. But I'll do it thoughtfully, not because some OP here on MFP told me I should. Though, I do learn soo much from these threads. I just take what fits and leave the rest. I hope most others here do the same and I wish everyone success, no matter what their personal goals are.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    So, I'm one of those who has my calories set at 1200 for a 2lb/week loss. I've been doing it now for about 4 months.
    Everyone done hooting and hollering, sharing your opinions with me? K, good.

So. my reasons for this, is that I'm an overeater. I like food, and wine and ice cream. I needed to restrict my calories, learn portion control, try to eat better (less ice cream) and have food not be an issue to me. I know my calories are low. I know it's over 300 less than my "BMR" and I know, with my recent increased exercise, it's really low for my TDEE. So guess what, I don't always stick to it. And that's ok. Because it's not exact. What MFP tells me is my burned and consumed calories (Based on diet and exercise) are not 100% accurate. So I set my daily calories low, knowing I won't always hit that number.

See I don't know the calories in every bite of food I eat. I weigh and measure as much as possible, but I eat out fairly often. I eat at family member's houses, quite often. I go parties and I eat and drink what I want. Some days my calories are over 2000. Most days it's around my "target" of 1200. I always eat back my exercise calories. And when I'm hungry, I eat. And I log my food most days. I am learning to control more, eat more consciously and have treats.

Guess what, I've lost weight. Slow and steady, not 6 lbs of water weight, but about 1lb a week. I work out 4-6 days a week. I run now. I am starting to do more strength workouts. I feel good, strong and healthy.

This has worked for...ME. Not saying it would work for anyone else. But it does for me. And because I am making smarter food choices, 1200 calories is filling for my "daily' life. I eat well, and much more healthier. More fruit and vegetables, as much as possible. Healthier snacks. More protein, less carbs. It works for me.

But it's only been 4 months. I just started to get serious about running and I am always learning. I may try to increase my calorie intake, or change my training or something else. But I'll do it thoughtfully, not because some OP here on MFP told me I should. Though, I do learn soo much from these threads. I just take what fits and leave the rest. I hope most others here do the same and I wish everyone success, no matter what their personal goals are.

Amen sister! Now this sounds like me...though I have been doing it for about a year now! Great job and great post!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    These 1200 calorie posts always turn into a poo tornado dont they?

Yeppers! Yesterday's 1,200 calories post is locked so dibbs on how long it takes for this one to get locked as well.

Doesn't matter - we can just dig back 5 months and find another old thread and re ignite it :laugh:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I lost 55lbs in 16wks eating at dang near exclusively 1200cal/day with no exercise outside daily activity. This last week I have upped to over 1300. Presuming I continue to lose at a good clip, after 2 weeks at 1300 I will up to 1400, 1500 etc. I have been educating myself, and being still over 300 lbs, I have lots of weight loss journey still to go to get it right.
    :laugh:

That being said, with 120-140grams protein and 45 or so of fat and 25+ fiber daily, with good fruit and veg, I don't feel deprived, just trying to find the balance that will work for me. I also plan to begin actual exercise, even if just walking, soon.

So here's to doing what is -healthy- and works for you!

P.S. That's 3.44 lbs per week. My diary is open, all foibles on display.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can get a pretty nice amount of food for 1200 calories (and even 1000) if you know what choices to make. You can get 100+ grams of protein and 30+ grams of fat plus lots of fiber and micronutrients. The difference between 1200 and 1500 calories is a chocolate bar or a cup of ice cream.

I don't strictly adhere to 1200 calories, I just eat randomly to my liking but on some days what I feel like eating just happens to be so low calorie and filling that I cap at less than 1200 without feeling the desire to eat more food.