Barbell squats

Options

Replies

• trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i do both.... front squats hit quads much harder than back squats. i love to hate them, lol

I agree with this. When I started FS's I thought I would never do them again. I just busted out a PR of 170 last week.

There was another post about the T-nation suggestion, and you can check tonygentilcore.com (probably the same article) for videos about the FS. They can be fun! (I keep telling myself that)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Both.

At one point last summer, my 1RM front squat was heavier than my 1RM back squat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what is this boards fixation with powerlifting and strength training? I see a few genuine powerlifters on here, hats of to them. But for the average person training with more of a body building style will yield better results. You still get strength gains, but you also get muscle definition and rev up your metabolism and burn more fat.

I would say for the following reasons

1.) most people don't WANT to look like body builders- not really.
    2.) body building splits take too much time- most people want the most back for their buck and just get in and get out
    3.) body building split are more complicated to learn because there is more stuff involved
    4.) power lifting movements have direct correlation in real life- bad back? why because people have no effing clue how to pick stuff up.

I agree, and in a caloric deficit, you will gain more strength doing power lifting routine vs. body building, and since muscle gains are very limited in a deficit regardless what time of program you run, might as well make the strength gains, then during a bulk maybe switch it up to bodybuilding or combined routine to get the best of both worlds.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what is this boards fixation with powerlifting and strength training? I see a few genuine powerlifters on here, hats of to them. But for the average person training with more of a body building style will yield better results. You still get strength gains, but you also get muscle definition and rev up your metabolism and burn more fat.

2.) body building splits take too much time- most people want the most back for their buck and just get in and get out
    3.) body building split are more complicated to learn because there is more stuff involved
    4.) power lifting movements have direct correlation in real life- bad back? why because people have no effing clue how to pick stuff up.

I agree, and in a caloric deficit, you will gain more strength doing power lifting routine vs. body building, and since muscle gains are very limited in a deficit regardless what time of program you run, might as well make the strength gains, then during a bulk maybe switch it up to bodybuilding or combined routine to get the best of both worlds.

thats not a bad idea, never really thought of that.

I'd say that i'd like to do some more reps and extra sets for additional calorie burn, but it maybe fairly minimal and probably better accomplished through diet anyway.

that leads me to another question: how many sets do the 'powerlifter' types do per body part per workout?

lol, i guess that question betrays my counter philosophy.

How many sets do you typically do per exercise and over all in your workout?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yup.

I think for people who have maxed out their newb gains and are committed to weights- then it's time to start adding accessories and detailing- but I mean I have pretty big guns for a chick (not flexed they are 13") and I never curl- actually I don't right now do any bicep isolation's- where as 2 months ago- I was doing some chin ups occasionally- I would curl and do tricep isolation's once or twice a month- maybe. LOL)

Most people grossly underestimate the importance of building a strong base- and getting their diet tailored down to get good results.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options

As for smith machine vs hack squat
    hack is more under neath you- traditionally it was a BB move- not a machine- and it's more "BACK"

just a different feel. The only way I was every comfortable on the smith was feet forward- gives it a flat back squat. I wouldn't ever recommend it though- most people need to learn how to balance themselves- balance can be imporved but people dont' want to.

Love the people that say they can't squat b/c of their knees- so they use the smith- but then go jump on the leg press at 5-800 lbs. Just don't get it.

Most people don't want to look like body builders? Seriously, so they don't want to be lean with good muscle definition. I'm not talking 300lb enhanced blocks of muscle, Google Dave Goodin.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=dave+goodin&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4IRFD_enCA424CA448&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tMo1U8-cHqHi2AXh8oFw&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1536&bih=686

All natural body builder that's 54 years old. That's what body building programs can produce.

Now Google powerlifter.
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=https://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/why_bodybuilders_are_more_jacked_than_powerlifters&h=0&w=0&tbnid=IqRlyRYxqeH5vM&zoom=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=360&docid=xXK7iTsdXYoZbM&hl=en&tbm=isch&ei=Oss1U9C8IsSW2AXU4IC4Cg&ved=0CBEQsCUoBQ

If that's the physique you're looking for, have at er.

Bodybuilding style training doesn't have to be endless hours in the gym for the average person looking to improve their strength and physique. Simply moving some of your training to a higher rep range and shortening your rest times will yield benefits, particularly if your looking to lose fat.

And I never said anything about knees. If your knees are truly bad (and not an excuse to skip squats) the feet forward Smith squats aren't going to be any easier on them.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    well put. perhaps there are a lot that would not want to look like a bodybuilder, but if given to choice between power lifter and bodybuilder, I'd assume most would choose bodybuilder.

especially if they are NOT in near 5% BF contest form.

On the other hand, both extreams are places that most of the population will never get to anyway
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    thats not a bad idea, never really thought of that.

I'd say that i'd like to do some more reps and extra sets for additional calorie burn, but it maybe fairly minimal and probably better accomplished through diet anyway.

that leads me to another question: how many sets do the 'powerlifter' types do per body part per workout?

lol, i guess that question betrays my counter philosophy.

How many sets do you typically do per exercise and over all in your workout?

I usually put in about 12 sets on my compound lifts with no more than 3 reps per set.

Accessory lifts are around 3-4 sets and depending on the lift can be 3 reps to 12 reps.
  • edhammerbeck
    edhammerbeck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do low-bar back squats. They make me happy. I've never tried front squats.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    no they don't. You specifically said BODY builder- You said bodybuilder- and NO- most people don't want to look like that.

first words out of a woman's mouth "I don't want to be bulky" men often say the same thing. They want to be lean- lower body fat and look ripped without looking huge. A good combination of power lifting and diet will get you 3/4 of the way there. If you wanted to pull a specific word for that- physique or fitness for either men or women would be the more appropriate word. But you didn't- you said bodybuilder.

I'm not saying there is ANY thing wrong with a full split- but for most people it's not efficient- they can get solid strength gains and control their diet- they can get most of what they want with compound lifting- it's like shopping at Wal-Mart or BJ's/Costco- you can do most of what you need there rather than running around to different stores. It's not the workout that gets you that look- it's the diet- so if you can do a full compound lifting program- get stronger and not spend hours a week doing a split that's a big win for your average lifter- plus the application to real life health is dare I say significantly better.
    And I never said anything about knees. If your knees are truly bad (and not an excuse to skip squats) the feet forward Smith squats aren't going to be any easier on them.
    that was more a generic comment about knees squats and people saying that's why they skip squats but use smith. Was more an LOL musing not something directly addressing.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying there is ANY thing wrong with a full split- but for most people it's not efficient- they can get solid strength gains and control their diet- they can get most of what they want with compound lifting- it's like shopping at Wal-Mart or BJ's/Costco- you can do most of what you need there rather than running around to different stores. It's not the workout that gets you that look- it's the diet- so if you can do a full compound lifting program- get stronger and not spend hours a week doing a split that's a big win for your average lifter- plus the application to real life health is dare I say significantly better.

I do agree with this. For the average joe/jane with family and other commitments, being able to hit multiple muscles with compound lifts and adding in a few accessories is much more time efficient.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    To be fair, actually he said:
    But for the average person training with more of a body building style will yield better results.

That's not saying the average person wants to be and look like a professional body builder. He's saying he thinks training with a body building style program will yield better results for the average person than a powerlifting program. Just like following the SS routine won't suddenly turn you into a top IPF competitor, following a body building style workout won't turn you into a 5% bodyfat, overly tanned body building competitor. :smile:
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    agree that diet is king when it comes to looking a certain way
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    no they don't. You specifically said BODY builder- You said bodybuilder- and NO- most people don't want to look like that.

first words out of a woman's mouth "I don't want to be bulky" men often say the same thing. They want to be lean- lower body fat and look ripped without looking huge. A good combination of power lifting and diet will get you 3/4 of the way there. If you wanted to pull a specific word for that- physique or fitness for either men or women would be the more appropriate word. But you didn't- you said bodybuilder.

that was more a generic comment about knees squats and people saying that's why they skip squats but use smith. Was more an LOL musing not something directly addressing.

Actually, read back what was said. I recommended the benefits of a body building style of workout. You were the one to first mention BODY builder specifically, when you said people don't want to look like BODY builders. I simply followed your lead in my response. Also notice my reference was to natural body builders, they look similar to a physique competitor but with a little more mass. I agree most don't want to look like a competitive enhanced builder.

And why do you equate a body building style of lifting to the elimination of compound lifts? When did I ever say that? The compounds are still the core of BB style training. I'm merely suggesting that most average people would be best served by mixing up their rep ranges. There are a lot of benefits outside of 5 rep sets. Keep in some low rep sets for strength, but 8-12 reps and even higher are just as important. You want to save time, increase your rep range and reduce your rest. By increasing your workout density you'll increase fat loss, shorten gym time, and save a lot of wear and tear on your connective tissues.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Because- body building programs are for people who want to be body builders- it's for detailing.

I agree rep range is a different thing.

I also personally don't know ANY body builders (and I know several) who do real compound lifting on a regular bases.
    To be fair, actually he said:
    But for the average person training with more of a body building style will yield better results.

That's not saying the average person wants to be and look like a professional body builder. He's saying he thinks training with a body building style program will yield better results for the average person than a powerlifting program. Just like following the SS routine won't suddenly turn you into a top IPF competitor, following a body building style workout won't turn you into a 5% bodyfat, overly tanned body building competitor. :smile:

fair enough.

I suppose the real reality is the "average" lifter just wanting to look good naked and not be fat- the program that's really going to work the best for them is one they can stick to long term and getting their diet under control.

It can be done either way- with a bro split- or a yut-ugh PL program: but time efficiency- and thoroughness with plenty of programming available- most bang for the buck- is compound lifting.

I'd also like to point out- there is a great deal of moral boosting that comes from heavy compound lifting- it's a sense of accomplishment that can be had that I don't see so much from body building for your average lifter. Look at the hundreds of women on here that get to thump their chests when they hit new PR's. IYes getting a great pump is good- but there seems to be much more tangible connection with DOING the thing.

I actually know several people who have moved from competition BB to competition PL because they were just very unsatisfied with their results and how they felt. The over all satisfaction of powerlifting was a bigger draw.

neither is right or wrong- but it's easier to direct people to hard programs that are already written to give people a very practical strength base- once they get their feet under them- moving toward accessories- or even full detailing is much easier.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i'll start out an exercise with a weight that i can do 10-12 (or more) and then tapper down to 3-6 ish by my third or fourth set.

thought this was typical in the 'bodybuilding' style of training.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I'll admit that i feel as though i could make a lot more progress if i could siginificantly raise the amount of weight i can lift in the 8-10 range and that would require some more dedicated lower rep work.

i just can't understand the death grip on any one particular type of training.

If nothing else, doing the same stuff over and over again WILL lead to joint issues.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do front squats and back squats...

yes, front squats are more awkward ... I can back squat more than I can front squat...but both have there benefits...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    i'll start out an exercise with a weight that i can do 10-12 (or more) and then tapper down to 3-6 ish by my third or fourth set.

thought this was typical in the 'bodybuilding' style of training.

I would say- in my humble opinion/experience/observations:
    reps are determined by your goals-
    the actual work out break down is typically BB or PL oriented- even powerlifters go through periodziation for hypertrophy (different rep range) and strength. (again different rep range).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do both Front and Back Squats (low bar).

As far as powerlifting vs bodybuilding, I am far from being either but I train in both ways-best of both worlds. I do all the compounds as well as a lot of isolation work. For ME personally, I believe that if I want to get a muscle to "pop" (for lack of a better word) I isolate it. For strength I do the compound lifts.