Olive Oil Help!!!

Options
Can anyone give me a healthy alternative to using olive oil please? I absolutely love using olive oil on everything ( salads, eggs, frying etc...) but I recently discovered that one table spoon has like more than 100 calories?!?! :sad:

If you can give me an idea of a tasty healthy low calorie oil that would make my day :smile:

Thank you

Sarah

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    olive oil IS healthy.

just build it into your allowance and continue to use it....and/or use less.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat. Fats are calorie dense. Any oil touting itself as low calorie is not oil, and likely not very good for you.

Work in the calories, there is more to our food than their calorie value. Olive oil is worth it, IMO.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well all oils are fat unless you use a low-cal subsistute. I suppose it depends what you're using it for.

If you're frying things, try using a non-stick pan and dry-frying - I find that works very well with eg onions. Some meats will give out their own fat to fry in. Or just use a tiny bit. There are low cal subsititues for oil, e.g. one-cal sprays, if you must lubricate :huh:

If you're looking for a salad dressing, try vinegars with flavourings (or on their own, I love balsamic) instead of oil.

As oil goes olive oil is a good one, just don't use a tablespoon! (Unless you can fit it into your calorie goal.) :smile:
  • pamt1999
    pamt1999 Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't know of a tasty healthy low calorie oil . . . but, if it were me . . . I would probably reduce how often I use it but still use it.

So, maybe fry less foods . . . but still have it on your salad. Or, have less on your salad. :)

Good luck.

Pam
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil isn't unhealthy... It's healthy fats. It's not your enemy.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me a healthy alternative to using olive oil please? I absolutely love using olive oil on everything ( salads, eggs, frying etc...) but I recently discovered that one table spoon has like more than 100 calories?!?! :sad:

If you can give me an idea of a tasty healthy low calorie oil that would make my day :smile:

Thank you

Sarah

I've been looking for 1 calorie spray oils online since I can't find them in my country, I also asked on the forum but I didn't receive positive comments. Lots of people use it and it seems very useful to cover your pan while cooking or baking, but apart from that, I think using a good quality olive oil is much better.
    I'm not using a huge quantity of oil at the moment, and I got used to reduce my portions after starting my weightloss journey. I can usually put half a tablespoon in my salads, or on my pan if I have to cook something. But I can make 1-2 tablespoons fit into my daily fat intake. If you feel like a couple of tablespoons are not enough for the day, you could try to discover some new seasonings. I started to appreciate lemon juice, pepper, and other spices after I realized I didn't need to soak my salad in oil :tongue: good luck!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Fats are an essential macro nutrient, and EVOO is one of the best. They help us absorb more nutrients from our other foods and, as women, are necessary for hormone regulation. May I suggest you figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and take a healthy deficit from that? (Like a 10-15% deficit, depending on how much you have to lose.) I'm going to assume you're on the default 1200 calorie amount MFP sets, but unless you're really, really short or have a doc's recommendation for eating so little, you can fit more calories in and still lose at a slow, steady and healthy rate. I was still losing at 2500 calories, and I eat at least 70 grams of fats a day.

Here's the calculator I use: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Best of luck!!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Oil is fat.

Olive oil is unsaturated fat

Unsaturated fat is a good fat.

Some things need to be eaten with fat in order to get the most bang for your buck, like raw spinach.

When I eat salad, I do 2 tbsp. flavored vinegar and 1/2 to 1 tbsp. oil. This goes over about 5 cups of spinach and "other stuff".
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    First world problems...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Use less or allow for it, if you are using it for cooking, 1 tblsp is distributed throughout however many servings you are making so if you make a meal with 4 servings you are only getting 1/4 tblsp.

Use a grill for your meats, use non stick pans and spray

You do need healthy fats in your diet so I don't really see an issue with it anyway.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I bought a Misto last night... you can put any type of oil in it and it turns it into a mist so you can lightly spray whatever you need. Perhaps you can try this? I honestly have no idea what the calorie count would be on 5 mists but it can't be that much... maybe 1 tsp... I usually keep a deficit on my daily calories anyway so it evens out. But I don't/won't use a low-cal substitute.. I'll just make room for it.

Also, from the other poster who mentioned lemon juice, salt, pepper and other spices for a salad, that really is a great alternative and switch up to oil/vinegar.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    find an olive oil sprayer for your salads. you get better coverage with less oil.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothin' wrong with EVOO, homie! :)
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go to a home store and buy an oil mister - fill with olive oil and you will use much less - but keep the oil in play, it is healthy for your body - you need the fats - keeps everything moving, if you know what I mean
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ummmm well you can keep using..olive oil ....
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just use less of it. You'll find most recipes you can at least cut the amount down by 50% sometimes more without effecting recipes
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Well, it's no better calorie-wise, but I just discovered macadamia nut oil. It's even healthier than olive oil, it can be used for higher heat cooking, and it tastes awesome!
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use Fry Light. I also use coconut oil in things too. You need healthy fats :)
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Low calorie oil? Is that what you're looking for?
    Seriously, save yourself some time and effort and keep the olive oil in your plan. Work on finding others ways to cut back on calories.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It does not get much better the olive oil!!! You can try using a bit less maybe, or try to cut a couple caloires out somewhere else in your day.